So I just payed off my car

MariusC

Yip, as soon as my warrantee nears its end I buy a demo/under 1 year second hand with low mileage. I might always be paying off a car, but at least I know its a fixed cost.

Now, don't even go down the aftermarket warrantee road, what a load of bs.

Ok, best I add another reason for keeping my paid off car... Minimal maintenance cost and looking at autotrader etc I can sell it for more than I paid for it!

And I am very happy about it but now i need to register it on my name. Got the papers from the bank. Does anybody know how much it costs to register the car on your name, as I never carry cash on me and don't know if they accept cards at the licensing department

Funny you ask, I actually did mine yesterday, so dont make the same mistakes I did, here is what you need;

1. Validated copy of ID (bring your own copy, as they do not make copies for you). Post office does this for you.

2. Change of ownership form (you would have got this from your bank)

3. Fill in the blue copy! this you will get when you are there (I think it was section A & C)

4. Hand all in at the counter & get a number

5. After an hour or so you will get called up

6. It costs R120 & done.

I hate having to do anything that has anything to do with goverment depts, but in the end it went OK....I had just not brought a validated copy of my ID so I drove around town to get one done. Good luck

Edited by Wipeout2

Yip agreed i paid my car off 4 years ago and was about to upgrade to a newer better shiner one and keep the payments rolling at R3500 pm, then i decided to keep driving her and see how it was to have extra cash. Now its 4 years later and i have saved a whopping R168k. I have a share portfolio, i have renovated my kitchen and bathroom and i still have my car and its still runs fine (toyota keeps on going). Best decision i have ever made.

Did you just keep putting the R3500 away each month or just saving the extra cash? Amazing how quickly it adds up!

Did you just keep putting the R3500 away each month or just saving the extra cash? Amazing how quickly it adds up!

I opened up a 2nd bank account and told the bank to do a direct debit order on my primary bank account at R3500 pm. After the first year. i opened up a share trading account and started buying satrix 40 shares every month. I did this for nearly 2 years. I then left the R3500 om add up for nearly 18 mths in my other savings acc until i decided to do the renovations.

Was the most painfull experience in my life. I literally stood 2 days in the ques at 2 different Post Offices in PE. My car should hopefully be paid up by december and I am dreading the experience

My last payment is on Saturday. As the car I want will only be available in South africa in early part of next year I will be enjoying a car payment holiday for nearly a year.

My last payment is on Saturday. As the car I want will only be available in South africa in early part of next year I will be enjoying a car payment holiday for nearly a year.

what car is that, if i may ask?

Mine still have 3 years to go. Meh. Can't wait for them to cease though. I plan to have my current car for a looooong time.

I've just managed to sell my car, privately through AA Autobay!

After I sold my last car via trade in, I realised I left the post office key in the cubby, I went back I week and had to pick my jaw off the floor after realising just how much money you lose on a trade in, I could have made double the money!

Anyways, I was in a position to sell privately now, which I recommend everyone tries :)

my car gets paid off early next year :thumbup:

but eish i dunno if i want to keep it. altho i wont be able to get a shinier newer car due to just squeezing through to get 100% bond on a house :eek: :wacko:

let hope this hunk o' junk lasts, ive spent enough on maintenance and repairs already thanks