Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

Things are indeed hotting up if droppers are making their way onto the World XC circuit

Julien Absalon's BMC Fourstroke 01 with KS LEV CI dropper post

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2016/04/23/julien-absalon-2016-bmc-fourstroke-01-di2-5-1461367941939-1n1x805j5dudz-630-80.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/julien-absalon-bike-bmc-fourstroke-01-with-shimano-di2-and-dropper-post-2016-46913/

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are indeed hotting up if droppers are making their way onto the World XC circuit

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2016/04/23/julien-absalon-2016-bmc-fourstroke-01-di2-5-1461367941939-1n1x805j5dudz-630-80.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/julien-absalon-bike-bmc-fourstroke-01-with-shimano-di2-and-dropper-post-2016-46913/

Yeah, and when guys like Karl Platt saying it's only a matter of time due to the advantage you get on the tech sections, you know it's starting properly.

Anyone with Specialized dropper seat post experience?

Mine wouldn't stay at full extension on today's ride. It kept dropping an inch or so, every few minutes. Very frustrating.

I am hoping that its just a cable tension adjustment, but didn't want to fiddle while riding in case I made it worse.

Any tech wizards got anything to say?  :D

Just a note to those guys who may have just bought a Giant dropper (or are planning to). If it has external routing get it changed to internal ASAP. The external routing causes endless problems where the cable housing enters the dropper under the seat. There is continuous movement there when the seat goes up and down, causing cable jamming and hence seat not staying up or down.

Internal routing will sort this out.

And what if you don't have an internal compatible frame? Edited by AlanD

If there is too much tension the post will drop, but not only an inch or so, it will continue. If the cable is too loose the post won't drop. Maybe check your air pressure in the post.

And Absalon made it back to third place after his lap one disaster despite a bike that weighed a whole 350g more than it could have with a fixed post :-)

If there is too much tension the post will drop, but not only an inch or so, it will continue. If the cable is too loose the post won't drop. Maybe check your air pressure in the post.

this is from personal experience. My bike and a mate's bike. The little plastic grommet thingy (not sure of the technical term) that covers the end of the cable housing where it terminates at the seat cracks/breaks and causes cable jams. Internal routing = no movement of cable housing hence my view that this will solve the problem.

And Absalon made it back to third place after his lap one disaster despite a bike that weighed a whole 350g more than it could have with a fixed post :-)

yeah, that was a REALLY impressive ride back from the middle of the pack. Shows how strong he is. 

The Fourstroke he rode weighs 10.1kg with the dropper. Its a prototype frame using a lighter layup and carbon rocker top and bottom.

Also he needs the dropper as descents have not been his strength. He's been working with his brother Rei in the off season. N1no who rides #enduro and trail doesn't use one on his XC bike....

The other roder with a droper was Dan McConnell.

Any tech wizards got anything to say?  :D

Hi Splat

I had the same problem with my Command Post, so I opened it up renewed the grease and replaced the rubber O-ring with a thicker O-ring. I noticed that the standard O-ring was deformed and was almost flat. Probably not holding the air in like it should.

Scan through this video to see how it looks like inside. it is not complicated at all.

Hope this helps. 

This is the problem area

Would a cable tie or some tape assist here if you cannot route internally? Is this still a problem on the 2016 bersion?

What next Camelpacks, bar ends for every one   :whistling:  ;)

Would a cable tie or some tape assist here if you cannot route internally? Is this still a problem on the 2016 bersion?

Yes a cable tie helps. Been running mine like that for a while now but it also eventually works loose. Having said that my plastic grommet thingy was already damaged when I put the cable tie on, so maybe if you do it from day 1 it will be ok.

• 2 weeks later...