Cape Epic Battle Plan ...

It all depends on how many events you want to enter and if you want to medal? Your in luck you will only ghave to wait 3years and 358 days!!

Cool anything less than 4 years makes you the preferred supplier on this thread.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that it takes 10,000 hours to produce a elite athlete

I read that in Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Brilliant book.

That was a theory which was proven wrong by Ross Tucker as genetics play a vital part - the guy with the better genes gets there quicker that the one without

It will take less than 2000 beers :thumbup:

7 months left before the Epic - is that enough time for preparation and where do you start?

Do 4 slow longish rides (3hrs min) 4 days in a row, 5th day short easy ride and take note of how your seat personal interface area feels during the first few minutes. If you grimaced at all in these early minutes start looking for a more comfortable saddle or saddle position.

That was a theory which was proven wrong by Ross Tucker as genetics play a vital part - the guy with the better genes gets there quicker that the one without

Didnt Ross Tucker also say the stormers would have a 8 point advantage and beat the sharks?

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Sharks-facing-15-pt-handicap-20120730

Im still eating humble pie because of this guy!!!

Edited by JGR

Didnt Ross Tucker also say the stormers would have a 8 point advantage and beat the sharks?

http://www.sport24.c...ndicap-20120730

Im still eating humble pie because of this guy!!!

Ja, also doing the pie thing, but more often he is brilliant. I guess with the Stormers his crystal ball's batteries went flat! As for the 10,000 hours, its quite a lengthy document but if someone is interested I can add it.

Interesting article in Tread mag of Feb 2011: Wash Rinse Repeat - on page 36 they talk about the costs, the author writes: "Some have been known to spend over R60,000 on a Cape Epic" [that is per individual, my calculations are team based]!

When you spend, do it wisely ...

Edited by Enticement

• 2 weeks later...

There are 3 "bases" that need to be covered with your Epic preparation: 1) Personal motivation - ensure that you have attainable milestones that will serve as inspiration; 2) Preparation for making sure you are physically prepared for ALL the elements of the Epic challenge; and 3) Ensuring you have the correct, and correctly prepared and maintained mountain bicycle.

Success in the Epic is not the sum of these 3 variable groups, but the product of ... or is it sheer luck?

• 2 weeks later...

ANY training plan should be divided into an off-peak, pre-peak and peak period, and the respective conditioning elements on which you focus should be addressed according to that specific period within which you find yourself. Example: in the off-peak period you will give much more attention to establishing a well orchestrated logistical transport system within your body than what you would focus on development of speed. What period are you training in now with your Epic prep?

7 months left before the Epic - is that enough time for preparation and where do you start?

I look Sauser straight in the eyes, ask him if he has done enough hill repeats and I finish it off by saying I will skop his gat.

All this with 2 minutes to go.