Support your LBS! or don`t.

BergForce

So do you go to the spur with your own steak and ask them to cook it?

Bike shops need to pay overheads, staff ETC, so if they are a few rand more on a part then why not support them? If we don't support them then they won't be around for very long and then who will fit the parts for you?? Some backyard hacker with a pair of pliers and hacksaw?

I support the SPCA, LBS is a business not a charity you choose to support.

BTW fiting your own part is easy. There are no dark secrets there.

Edited by eccentric1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually support the fact that bike shops charge extra labour costs when a customer supplies the parts, escpecially when the same part could have been supplied by the bike shop. The reason why I support it, is because I know quite a few cyclists who milk the knowledge/facilities of a bike shop and then go on and buy the product they want online.

When I still did some road cycling, I once overheard two guys talking and the one telling the other one how he went to a bike shop and tried on some shoes to get the size right, and then order the shoes online at 60% of the price. He even joked about how he faked in the shop that the shoe did not fit right. I also know a guy who used a demo saddle from a bike shop for two weeks, and then went ahead an ordered the same saddle online. This is in my opinion k@k style.

I use online shops all the time, but I do my research online, and I download technical documents of parts in order to make sure the model I order will fit. When I go to a LBS to check out some stuff, I buy it from them if I decide to buy.

Edited by Brian Fantana

I actually support the fact that bike shops charge extra labout costs when a customer supplies the parts, escpecially when the same part could have been supplied by the bike shop. The reason why I support it, is because I know quite a few cyclists who milk the knowledge/facilities of a bike shop and then go on and buy the product they want online.

When I still did some road cycling, I once overheard two guys talking and the one telling the other one how he went to a bike shop and tried on some shoes to get the size right, and then order the shoes online at 60% of the price. He even joked about how he faked in the shop that the shoe did not fit right. I also know a guy who used a demo saddle from a bike shop for two weeks, and then went ahead an ordered the same saddle online. This is in my opinion k@k style.

I use online shops all the time, but I do my research online, and I download technical documents of parts in order to make sure the model I order will fit. When I go to a LBS to check out some stuff, I buy it from them if I decide to buy.

I agree with you on a premium if the bike part is sold by the LBS but sometimes the shops only seem to sell top end, expensive gear or (as was my problem a few weeks back when looking for new wheels) very little variety.

Local car dealers have started to realise that they have a spares market for DIY enthusiasts. In SOME cases it is cheaper to buy a genuine service kit (filters etc) from the dealer than at your local spares shop. I know that VW sell a kit that includes everything from the oil to the sump washer at fractionally more than your local spares shop.

The point I am making and I think somebody has already mentioned it is that there is a place in the sun for everybody. They just need to give each other space. There is always going to be somebody that couldn't be bothered to buy online, wait a few days for delivery and then get their hand dirty fitting the part after buying the right tools. That person is happy to pay the premium to drop their bike off to get fixed with the attitude of I just want to ride my bike.

You then get the guys that like to buy online and just want a reputable shop to fit the parts properly at a reasonable price.

Lastly you get the DIY nut who won't let anybody else touch their stuff.

There is enough to go around for everybody. The problem is that the LBS have an issue with number two. The attitude is stuff you if you didn't buy from us and that's wrong. You shouldn't be charged a premium rate to be punished for not buying from them.

A mechanic will charge you a rate for labour but offer no guarantee as you supplied the part. Same should apply at the LBS.

Flat rate for labour per hour or part there of. If you buy the parts from them you get a guarantee with full backup service. If you supplied the part, they should only guarantee the workmanship.

A really easy concept to follow. Some guys have got it right. Others on the other hand... well lets just say that they don't get repeat business!

I need a LBS where they don`t throw me out of the shop because I bought some part elsewhere/online. The old school blind loyalty expensive LBS type of shops should catch a wake-up. They should start ordering stuff from online shops as a service to the customers. They do this anyway without you knowing, they order your part online but not tell you, cause you just might see their mark-up.

I do that with Cycle Addiction all the time, and even ask to be charged extra for the stuff they are good at - like putting the bits on my bike, or servicing shocks. I have no issue paying for good service, I just don't like buying something knowing I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Local car dealers have started to realise that they have a spares market for DIY enthusiasts. In SOME cases it is cheaper to buy a genuine service kit (filters etc) from the dealer than at your local spares shop. I know that VW sell a kit that includes everything from the oil to the sump washer at fractionally more than your local spares shop.

The point I am making and I think somebody has already mentioned it is that there is a place in the sun for everybody. They just need to give each other space. There is always going to be somebody that couldn't be bothered to buy online, wait a few days for delivery and then get their hand dirty fitting the part after buying the right tools. That person is happy to pay the premium to drop their bike off to get fixed with the attitude of I just want to ride my bike.

You then get the guys that like to buy online and just want a reputable shop to fit the parts properly at a reasonable price.

Lastly you get the DIY nut who won't let anybody else touch their stuff.

There is enough to go around for everybody. The problem is that the LBS have an issue with number two. The attitude is stuff you if you didn't buy from us and that's wrong. You shouldn't be charged a premium rate to be punished for not buying from them.

A mechanic will charge you a rate for labour but offer no guarantee as you supplied the part. Same should apply at the LBS.

Flat rate for labour per hour or part there of. If you buy the parts from them you get a guarantee with full backup service. If you supplied the part, they should only guarantee the workmanship.

A really easy concept to follow. Some guys have got it right. Others on the other hand... well lets just say that they don't get repeat business!

+1000 000

So every time you feel like steak you go to the Spur? Have you ever cooked a steak at home? If you have then you are disloyal to your local Spur! I understand that the LBS need to pay bills, but hey what do you know, so do I.

I have cooked steak at home but it never tastes the same... We all have bills to pay, and there is no need to get nasty..

The comparison was'nt about cooking a steak at home, if that is what you want to compare then buy the parts and cook them at home...

I support the SPCA, LBS is a business not a charity you choose to support.

BTW fiting your own part is easy. There are no dark secrets there.

So is garden maintenance but most people outsource this.

The mentality of some of the trolls on this site is a joke...most of you who bitch and moan about prices don't ride nearly as much as you should be riding and purchase things far to often than need be because you need to have the best in the group the whole time...but seeing as how MUCH everyone is saving from purchasing online I seriously need to do it. I take it the same guys that are complaining about LBS prices are the same that complain about race fees...get over it if you are not prepared to pay for the service than don't use it plain and simple. Many other sports that can be practiced

I have cooked steak at home but it never tastes the same... We all have bills to pay, and there is no need to get nasty..

The comparison was'nt about cooking a steak at home, if that is what you want to compare then buy the parts and cook them at home...

Sorry about the sarcasm but you can not compare the Spur to a LBS.

I fit in the category of buying wherever I want, but I don`t have time to work on my bike, I would prefer the LBS to work on my bike. But it seems that the LBS don`t like working on stuff not bought from them, so now I have to find the time to do everything myself. I would like a LBS to offer ordering stuff online on my behalf, and then installing it.

I fit in the category of buying wherever I want, but I don`t have time to work on my bike, I would prefer the LBS to work on my bike. But it seems that the LBS don`t like working on stuff not bought from them, so now I have to find the time to do everything myself. I would like a LBS to offer ordering stuff online on my behalf, and then installing it.

If your LBS is not reasonable, and do not even offer to fit the parts at a charge then it is time to switch to a new LBS.

It's really not in their interest to do so...you might get away with it at some bike shops where the workshop isn't that busy, but where they are(insert bigger shop names) they not using their resources in the most profitable way by using parts sourced from by yourself. Some do it as the hubbers point out, but this isn't a given. Remember there are ten other bikes waiting to be worked on that will use parts bought in the shop.

My rule of thumb

Sourced it myself...install it myself. If you want a convenient one stop solution, go to LBS but be prepared to pay more, simple as that.

It's really not in their interest to do so...you might get away with it at some bike shops where the workshop isn't that busy, but where they are(insert bigger shop names) they not using their resources in the most profitable way by using parts sourced from by yourself. Some do it as the hubbers point out, but this isn't a given. Remember there are ten other bikes waiting to be worked on that will use parts bought in the shop.

My rule of thumb

Sourced it myself...install it myself. If you want a convenient one stop solution, go to LBS but be prepared to pay more, simple as that.

:thumbup: It doesn't get much simpler than that.

LOL this is a funny topic.....really

LBS's are generally expected to buy and keep parts in stock so that when kippiewithbrokenbike comes in asking if it can be fixed asap before the very important race / training ride this weekend....Kippewithbrokenbike doesn't like to hear that the LBS will have to first order the part and he can bring it back next week to be fixed.

I doubt any LBS makes much profit on labour alone, profit is what keeps the LBS alive and in business, sales of things like parts is where the profit comes from.

Common sense and good business practise imo would be to tell kippiewithbrokenbikeandselfsuppliedparts, yes please bring and supply we can fix it but will charge a handleing fee based on a % of the part cost. The % can be adjusted depending on the part cost and the customers past / future business potential.

My rule of thumb

I still don't agree with it. Lets take an example of my mechanic, can source the same parts from the same agents cheaper then any of the 8 LBS stores around me. I can choose to buy from him or bnring in my own, yet he still does not charge me more for bringing in my own stuff to be fitted, in fact he encourages it. I get advice, and I keep going back to chat about anything, he also has a workshop so please don't use the overheads as a point of contention.

I will take his advice over any LBS in Durban.

I still don't agree with it. Lets take an example of my mechanic, can source the same parts from the same agents cheaper then any of the 8 LBS stores around me. I can choose to buy from him or bnring in my own, yet he still does not charge me more for bringing in my own stuff to be fitted, in fact he encourages it. I get advice, and I keep going back to chat about anything, he also has a workshop so please don't use the overheads as a point of contention.

I will take his advice over any LBS in Durban.

Is he a normal bike shop or have another type of business on the same premises, and does he do this with all his customers, or only the special ones?

Ja I would keep him if i were you

Edited by SwissVan