I hit a cyclist, now what??

RudoJ

Yep,the excess is R2500, which could have been spent on other stuff, but at least the kid is fine.

I think the dad had a good chat with his son last night, hence the call this morning. Shows me that it wasnt my mistake only but a good wakeup call.

We need to take responsibility and do the right thing if things like this happen.

Yeah well done to both parties, sometimes it helps to be rational about stuff.

Hope it all turns out well and does not escalate.

Similar thing happened to me here in switz (where pedistrians and cyclists are God and cars the devil....) was partialy my fault as i did not see him and pulled in front of him coming out of my apartment building while he was riding on the pavement (cyclists allowed) to school.... anyway.... having heard about "the system" here was kakking myself that the parents would sue me for every frank they could..and the authorities would ban me from driving....

Luckily they were satisfied with my offer to cover the cost for repairs to his bike...no damage to my car and no reporting to the authorities...i think

Funny enough the school he attends is right next to where i live, and is a school only for sight and hearing impeded kids, he was wearing really thick glasses at the time....often wonder how well he can see.... let sleeping dogs lie thought....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old triple crankset that i can donate, striaght arms, blades arent great and needs a chainring bolt or two. with isis BB

My old man had a similar incident, but with a older guy. Bought the dude a helmet, some lights and repaired his bike, the saga just never ended from there, there were doctors bills, more bike repairs, claims for lost earnings all sorts of nonsense. Be very careful about how you handle this.

Well done , if only all drivers on the road was this tolerant and understanding . Now can you please send me a map of the route you take every day and times you travel . My front rim needs replacing .

Haha!

Wicked.

I'd say Use the good legal advice you received.

Also now is not the time to lecture the kid on earphones, helmets etc. the less is said, the better.

Pay your R2,500 school fees and have the insurance sort the rest. Accidents happen to the best of us. Hope all works out well for you.

Fester, exactly what I did and doing. Drew up a letter stating that after I deliver the wheel, the case in considered close and no further actions will be taken. Just going to have it signed. Just glad it all worked out relatively ok.

Thanks for the advice and supooty guys

Well done , if only all drivers on the road was this tolerant and understanding . Now can you please send me a map of the route you take every day and times you travel . My front rim needs replacing .

Coffee on keyboard :lol:

Coffee on keyboard :lol:

We can arrange to meet dirt-rider, just need to use your car if its fine with you :whistling:

Just a cloosing remark: I delivered the wheel this afternoon, tuned the bike a bit and gave some extra bits and pieces as well. Had a serious talk with the mom and the boy about helmets, earphones and fixing the brakes. I walked away somewhat redeemed and with a nice batch of health rusks. Am so glad it ended well. Now to get the 2500 for the excess!

We can arrange to meet dirt-rider, just need to use your car if its fine with you :whistling:

Yours in dinged already, may as well just use yours