2013 Cape Epic on Silverback Storm 1

N-I-N-J-A

Hi Guys,

I was one of the lucky few who managed to get an entry into next year's Epic. I'm currently riding an aluminium Merida 96 - 3000, and the plan is to buy something a bit lighter, better wheels, better shock etc. - hence I'm looking at the Silverback Storm 1 at around R22,000.

Now my partner are keen on the 2013 Scott Spark 910. I personally don't think it's worth the R10,000 to R15,000 jump in price. I've done a lot of reading on this topic and a lot of people say that they got carried away, and subsequently overspent before their first Epic.

I also know that you will suffer for sure, no matter what bike you are riding if you haven't put in enough training!

I am 29 and should weigh around 70kg at the time of the Epic.

Any tips and comments would be appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure your technical riding skills are up to scratch before coming down for the epic.

Don't do it on a road bike. That won't work.

Seriously though, you should be fine, even with your current bike.

I did this year's on a 96-1000D (with a new SID I must add). So I'd keep the bike and spend the cash on the mechanical and physio packages. (trust me you're not going to be in the mood to fiddle with your bike after multiple 8hr days)

Some thoughts (use it dont use it) -

Tech skills are important, passed a LOT of eurpoean riders on the Dhs and singletrack, but I suffered on the climbs. My team mate was much stronger with less skill and he smiled all the way.

My training ranged between 12-20hrs a week and finished 280th odd.

You will hate life. You will hate your bike. You will wonder WhyTF you thought of doing this to yourself.

It will be one of the greatest experiences of your life.

Enjoy.

Reliability over lightness!! I am going to do it on my anthem x1 29er

Don't you think the Silverback is reliable?

Full XT,

Rockshox SID,

ZTR Crest Wheelset?

I did this year's on a 96-1000D (with a new SID I must add). So I'd keep the bike and spend the cash on the mechanical and physio packages. (trust me you're not going to be in the mood to fiddle with your bike after multiple 8hr days) Some thoughts (use it dont use it) - Tech skills are important, passed a LOT of eurpoean riders on the Dhs and singletrack, but I suffered on the climbs. My team mate was much stronger with less skill and he smiled all the way. My training ranged between 12-20hrs a week and finished 280th odd. You will hate life. You will hate your bike. You will wonder WhyTF you thought of doing this to yourself. It will be one of the greatest experiences of your life. Enjoy.

Thanks,

I was thinking in the line of using the extra cash of not buying the Scott for the massage package etc.

I just know that my team mate is going to say: "I told you so" after the first time I complain! guess that's just some motivation to sharpen the technical skills and fitness level!

Dude you spent so much on the entry do realy want to ride something that is worth less than the team entry fee. :w00t:

I did this year's on a 96-1000D (with a new SID I must add). So I'd keep the bike and spend the cash on the mechanical and physio packages. (trust me you're not going to be in the mood to fiddle with your bike after multiple 8hr days)

Tech skills are important, passed a LOT of eurpoean riders on the Dhs and singletrack, but I suffered on the climbs. My team mate was much stronger with less skill and he smiled all the way.

You will hate life. You will hate your bike. You will wonder WhyTF you thought of doing this to yourself.

Enjoy.

Agree with all above, except spending cash on a mechanical package. I got onto the Hub to ask about a good mechanic / mechanical package at the beginning of this year. A couple of the experienced guys who have done a few said I'd be wasting my money. On advice, I left it and rather had the bike thoroughly serviced just before Epic. It worked out perfectly. In fact, several guys who handed their mud covered bikes in after day 5 (in think it was? - the muddy one?) were pretty pomped in the morning when they got them back and they had issues that were never properly resolved, like derailleurs not shifting etc.

But go with the massages - that's worth every cent.

Enjoy.

Could not have said it better!

The bike will be fine. Just be very fit and enjoy the experience!

I've never done Epic so no experience there, but I reckon a bike that's comfortable and forgiving is major. Fighting a stiff racing machine down the tech stuff going to knock the stuff out of you in the 7th and 8 th hour of the day. I have last years Scott and find its hundreds.