Fast Rolling MTB Tyres?

Skylark

My opinion would be to go for the Maxxis Crossmark - I put those on the wife's bike to give her some giddyup when we do the road riding thing.

they are to heavy for my liking though

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite enjoy the Conti Mountain King 2.4 on the front. I find it rolls nicely and grips the dirt like dog k@k to a shoe! The problem I have is I cant seem to find them apparently they have been discontinued.. Does anyone know where one could buy a few? (the cheaper the better!)

post-31228-0-34407300-1345702568.jpg

MMM tasty , 2.4 must feel great :)

MMM tasty , 2.4 must feel great :)

hence why I am on a hunt for this tyre! it is awesome, I find I have to keep it at a low pressure (1.8 bar) otherwise it tends to start boucing around on rock at high speeds!

People people - the OP is looking for a tar/dirt combo tyre - a 2.4 Mountain king will not be pleasant on the road (and sound like a Spirfire about to take off!).

My girlfriend just fitted the Geax AKAs and is liking them for hard pack and typical highveld conditions. Also not a good road tyre though - as Iron says - they look and feel quite soft so probably not well wearing on the road.

Corssmark is not bad - quite a solid centre bead for road but I've also found them to wear pretty quickly - the little crosses in the middle disappear pretty fast.

I still vote Conti Race King. Relatively cheap, relatively long lasting on road and relatively good grip on drit.

I've been running Schwalbe Rocket Ron's on my training wheels which probably spend 60 - 70% of their time on the tar. They should meet your performance requirements. They do wear relatively quickly but given the fact that you can buy them locally for R245 (29x2.2) which is probably 40% less than comparable tyres like the Race King, might make them a viable alternative.

Kenda small block 8's?

I've got these on my bike. They're great on road (for getting to the dirt) and obviously off-road, but they do suck if you hit any sort of wet stuff.

I've been running Schwalbe Rocket Ron's on my training wheels which probably spend 60 - 70% of their time on the tar. They should meet your performance requirements. They do wear relatively quickly but given the fact that you can buy them locally for R245 (29x2.2) which is probably 40% less than comparable tyres like the Race King, might make them a viable alternative.

Good point - it all boils to ROI , rands per km

I like Schwalbe tyres , nice name!

• 9 years later...

Hi guys. Holy thread revive.

Looking for new tyres for my 29er mtb ht commuter. I ride 15km x2/day on mostly asphalt. On the weekends this bike is my green route bike with the kids in tow. 

Had continental race Kings (2.2) front and back on untill now. They are too worn and plugged up after a long year and a half of commuting. Unbelievably fast rolling. Looking for something similar as I can't find them locally. 

Saw the pirelli scorpion XC H.... They look promising. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Must it be tubeless ?

I have some semi slick C50 tires that you can try .... NOT TR

Edited by ChrisF

18 minutes ago, V18 said:

Hi guys. Holy thread revive.

Looking for new tyres for my 29er mtb ht commuter. I ride 15km x2/day on mostly asphalt. On the weekends this bike is my green route bike with the kids in tow. 

Had continental race Kings (2.2) front and back on untill now. They are too worn and plugged up after a long year and a half of commuting. Unbelievably fast rolling. Looking for something similar as I can't find them locally. 

Saw the pirelli scorpion XC H.... They look promising. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

If you're willing to go narrower, I'm selling a set of Bontrager XR1s that are very fast and light. Not sure about the durability. 

3 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

If you're willing to go narrower, I'm selling a set of Bontrager XR1s that are very fast and light. Not sure about the durability. 

These do roll well!

Kenda Booster Pro 

I use the Booster Pro 29x2.4 and rolls great over rocky sections and fast on the gravel roads... single tracks goes like a dream on the Pros. Easier to remove than Crossmark and Ikon

1 hour ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Look no further than the Maxxis Aspen that Nino rode in the Epic. Just beware of flatting around every corner. 

Jokes aside, Schwalbe mountain hurricane is pretty fast rolling on the road. 

Is the aspen not a generally wide tyre?