26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody tried the canondale scalpel 29er?

I have one and I love, love, love it but then I loved my scalpel 26er too !

I haven't switched yet for 2 reasons:

1. I could never ever bring myself to sell my Zula. I love it far too much and it really is a fantastic bike. The measly sums I see them advertised for around here, doesn't tempt me either.
  2. Personally I think 29er's are the way forward especially for the type of riding I do (XC). That said, I think a hardtail is a waste of money because ultimately a dual sus will be more beneficial. Dual sussers are not cheap and I would rather save up and get a power 29 DS then buy a HT which I know will be transitional.

So yeah don't slate me but that is my view. I'm going to wait and when I do enter the market, I'll get something along the lines of a Tallboy or PYGA.

Edited by Zula

29'ers are so 'yesterday' don't you know the only thing that will stop people pointing at you and laughing like you're wearing a high waisted jean-pant is a 27.5'er. It's all the rage in europe apparently and the guy in the bike shop told me so.

Nah, got me an Orange 5, 26'er and puond for pound fun that works for me. When that stops winning every review I'll think about trading up, I'm in it for fun tracks tho and not the long Kms where I think a 29er would rule.

I don't understand the way most people view the issue of wheel size. Different wheel size affects the way a bike performs/behaves, but just match that to the type of riding you do. People still need to get over the mindshift. Hardtail and dual-sus are accepted as alternatives for different styles/disciplines. The same holds for 26 vs 29. The bike you choose should be determined by your build, the terrain you ride and your own preference. Going form a 26 to a 29 is not an "upgrade", it is an alternative. If you need to get different jobs done, you might need more than one tool (read bike) for those jobs. Many people don't "switch", we just buy more tools ;)

Went from 26 to 29'er about 3 weeks. ago. Would have kept my 26'er if i could afford it, but couldn't manage.

So far so good. Largely, I would say it is a better option for the marathon and ultra-marathon distance where things are not too technical. Anyone who says that 29'ers have made 26ers obsolete is a tool...

26" will never be obsolete, as with afro combs, leg warmers and bloomers there will always be someone using them somewhere.

Went from 26 to 29'er about 3 weeks. ago. Would have kept my 26'er if i could afford it, but couldn't manage.

So far so good. Largely, I would say it is a better option for the marathon and ultra-marathon distance where things are not too technical. Anyone who says that 29'ers have made 26ers obsolete is a tool...

More likely you just have a shait 9'er?

I haven't switched yet for 2 reasons:

1. I could never ever bring myself to sell my Zula. I love it far too much and it really is a fantastic bike. The measly sums I see them advertised for around here, doesn't tempt me either.
  2. Personally I think 29er's are the way forward especially for the type of riding I do (XC). That said, I think a hardtail is a waste of money because ultimately a dual sus will be more beneficial. Dual sussers are not cheap and I would rather save up and get a power 29 DS then buy a HT which I know will be transitional.

So yeah don't slate me but that is my view. I'm going to wait and when I do enter the market, I'll get something along the lines of a Tallboy or PYGA.

This is exactly where I'm at. I haven't got the return on investment on my Anthem 26er yet, it still rides well and I'm not buying a new bike every 2 years. I'm saving up and when the time is right I will buy a 29er dual like a PYGA or Tallboy.

26" will never be obsolete, as with afro combs, leg warmers and bloomers there will always be someone using them somewhere.

all at once?!?

Hey Bru's, I did like my cuzzin Michael Naiker tjooned me

& also made a 1 time conversion. So now I also cruise on

a 4 valve,(2 on the wheels & 2 on the shox) 30 speed, with 29 inch rims. Pimping ekse.

I hactually am on my second dikwiel. First a Meri...mari?? Mahindra Big 9

and now I have exactly what that first ou posted a pic of .

We only tjooned it with 1,2, modifications & now it's a thurra bread racing machine..

Edited by HandH

Went to Modders today, and had the Specialized Epic 29er for a 25km ride. Loved it! OMW. it is obviously better than the currently owned bike..

First time on a 29er an first time on a DS. Went great and now know that it's the way to go.

Lets ride!

Sill want to take the Scott Spark Team for a ride.. Any one have one I can Borrow??? :w00t: