26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

In my honest opinion the whole 29er thing is a bit over rated. Yes they are softer and they might seem faster (to some). I think it's more a case of a good bike fitment, weight and your fitness level.

Agreed.

But I still live my Niner to bits. :drool:

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which niner you got?

Had a older model EMD 9 and now have the 2012 EMD 9 Large, bike setup changed allot since I started riding the Niners.

Weight is 10.72.KG

Bought a 29er and loves it to bits.Faster and easy to ride, on a 100km I feel a lot stonger and fresher.But I can't say anything bad about a 26er, there are a market and a trail for both.Enjoy your bike and do a proper setup

Picked up my new carbon Volcan 29er yesterday. Light as a feather, looking forward to riding it.

Its about 2kgs lighter than my Gary Fisher 29er, but still don't know if the XX is worth all the extra cash. Will keep you updated

At this stage I can't afford to change,have ridden my friends 29er a good few times,same size as me. My impressions,smoother ride,more forgiving to roots/rocks holes than 26er. Feels faster on the open tracks. Where I am faster on the 26er is the tighter singletrack. Like both,but 26er is fine for now.

Edited by backtrail

Changed to a 29 Silverback Vida 1 , feels much faster but the only thing I have found is climbing a lot more difficult on a 29'er.

Did not switch. Found that having 29 inch wheels standing about will take up much more space than having 26 inch wheels standing about!

I was probably one of the biggest critics of a 29er, holding onto my Volcan 26er for dear life.... sucking 29er back wheel for dear life on flat roads.....

And then, I saw the light, I went 29er hardtail and it was like cycling got a whole lot easier all of a sudden. Now the 29er back wheels that I was sucking are pedalling for dear life to hold onto mine....

I took the opportunity to change when my 26" frame cracked.

There is nothing to regret - so far I only see positives.

think it really depends where you are going to ride. gravel roads and jeep tracks then nothing will keep up with a 29'r. do some mountaineering and the 26 just seems that but more nimble. horses for courses.

I have yet to buy something that has made me faster :( - maybe one day when I'm big and lay out enough za ronds? The one thing that has had a real effect on how fast I can go has saved me money :)

Running with a Scott 29er Elite, have never taken my 26 out the garage since, the comfort level alone speaks volumes. Enjoy your new ride.