My wife hates my cycling

W@nna-BE

Ou's, I'm a relatively newbie to MTB, have been seriously bitten by the bug and try to spend as much time as possible off road in the forests nearby. Here's the thing, I work out of the country for more than 8 months of the year and when I'm home it's flat out MTB everyday for a good few hours, no complaints, just encouragement, then surf with my girls, and home for hot meals and more. No major planning, just chilled living together stuff, she gyms, walks and does her tea thing with mates. Not difficult unless there's major clash with dates. Hell I even rode the Bastille in Franschoek on her birthday, out early and back early in time to party!

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones?

BTW I watch the Hub daily and this has got to be the best thread there has been for a long time!

You even get her to go along with her parents and Raphaela (as well as the one that's almost here) to Tokai, and persuade them that waiting in the rain for you is the right thing to do, eh mate?

:-)

Edited by cptmayhem

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You even get her to go along with her parents and Raphaela (as well as the one that's almost here) to Tokai, and persuade them that waiting in the rain for you is the right thing to do, eh mate?

:-)

Nah boet, she draws the line there....I cycle to Tokai, rain or no......you must live too far away! But yeah you could just have a winner!

Nah boet, she draws the line there....I cycle to Tokai, rain or no......you must live too far away! But yeah you could just have a winner!

ROFL. Must have you confused with someone else then...

Guys, if your wife hates your riding there is something fundamentally wrong. Work it out.

Guys like Iron and Dangle aren't in their situation because they are lucky, they are there because they work at their relationships. They do some things right and they make the right considerations.

Hehehe, that is pretty much how it works.

I get up at 4:00 am. to go and ride to be back before 7:00 am.

I run in the day, or straight after work.

Weekends I ride on a Saturday and head off to work.

We always make time for a family lunch and a home movie on Saturday evening.

Sundays I might ride between 3 and 7 hours depending on what I am training for.

If it's a seven hour ride, I am out of the house at 4:30 am. and it's normally in summer and only a few of these rides.

Sunday afternoons I run to gym late afternoon and meet the whole family there where we all work out.

Mondays and Wednesdays my son and myself are at the dojo and Mrs. Dangle and my daughter are at dancing.

We often have "dating" weekends where the kids are off to grandma.

Friday evening coming, our domestic will babysit the kids and I am taking Mrs. Dangle on her first critical mass.

I don't hang out at pubs, I don't have bachelor weekends away and I often spoil the wife with a small prezzie.

Mrs. Dangle and my daughter were debating as to who will be the owner of the Schwinn Corvette :thumbup:

We are best buddies, that and the fact that she is like Super Woman, how she does all the stuff she does is beyond me.

19 years of marriage and we are still going strong, I still think she is super cute :wub: :wub:

Hehehe, that is pretty much how it works.

I get up at 4:00 am. to go and ride to be back before 7:00 am.

I run in the day, or straight after work.

Weekends I ride on a Saturday and head off to work.

We always make time for a family lunch and a home movie on Saturday evening.

Sundays I might ride between 3 and 7 hours depending on what I am training for.

If it's a seven hour ride, I am out of the house at 4:30 am. and it's normally in summer and only a few of these rides.

Sunday afternoons I run to gym late afternoon and meet the whole family there where we all work out.

Mondays and Wednesdays my son and myself are at the dojo and Mrs. Dangle and my daughter are at dancing.

We often have "dating" weekends where the kids are off to grandma.

Friday evening coming, our domestic will babysit the kids and I am taking Mrs. Dangle on her first critical mass.

I don't hang out at pubs, I don't have bachelor weekends away and I often spoil the wife with a small prezzie.

Mrs. Dangle and my daughter were debating as to who will be the owner of the Schwinn Corvette :thumbup:

We are best buddies, that and the fact that she is like Super Woman, how she does all the stuff she does is beyond me.

19 years of marriage and we are still going strong, I still think she is super cute :wub: :wub:

And that, folks, is the recipe. Simple, elegant, and yet highly effective.

Start playing golf, stay out on golf course/club the most of saturday and sunday and come home with a brandy breath! She will suggest you should start cycling again

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Tell her that cycling increases your libido and makes you horny

Then make passionate love to her every time you get back from your ride

lol thats a good one.

My wife hated my cycling when i started untill the day i was on Sabc news cycling from Beit bridge to Durban we were doing a climate change awareness and everyone was tell her i was doing a good thing. now she supports all the way.

How old are they? I was just patient and did very little while ours was growing up. But once they hit 6 or 7 you can take them on decent rides. When ours was 7 I had her using eggbeater cleats and now that she's 16 you should see her ride.

The thing with both wife and kids it not to try and force riding on them. I didn't tell the wife to start riding when she wanted to start exercising more. I had been riding for a decade before we met but waited for her to approach me about getting a bike. Now she will ride even if I don't.

It is all about listening to your partners wants and needs. Apparently she needs a fourth bike. :eek:

My youngest is 2,5. Problem is we don't have any support structure here. Busy trying to convince my sister to ove here from DBN. But thanks to this thread I started looking for baby sitter services so the wife and I can go for early morning rides together.

My youngest is 2,5. Problem is we don't have any support structure here. Busy trying to convince my sister to ove here from DBN. But thanks to this thread I started looking for baby sitter services so the wife and I can go for early morning rides together.

We lucky we have a good support base here. When the Mrs and I trained for the 70.3 in EL we would wake up at 4:30 put the little one in the car and off to the grandparents we would go. This way we could cycle together

What a load of BS, a wife should be supportive of their husbands passions and vica versa, everything in moderation I guess, my wife supports me and I he on her recreational pursuits, it is the way a good functioning relationship works. Give and take.

Think the problem comes in when only one person has recreational pursuits, the other is then left to do nothing all day and gets bored.

My OH doesn't complain as much about my cycling when he is riding his motorbike, but if he hasn't been for a ride for few weeks, then he complains like hell.

sounds to me you have the same problem most of us have!!!

our wives are 'quality time' women, read http://www.5lovelanguages.com/learn-the-languages/the-five-love-languages/

if your wives is always either sad or angry that you are leaving her to train then she is most probably of the 'quality time' love language. unfortunately the only way to make her feel that this is a good thing is to spoil her with a special outing or something that she likes to do with you..... with some consitency she might even start to encourage you to go and train!!! good luck!

wow, 11 pages of replies :)

Have you tried encouraging her to start cycling. Maybe she needs a new challenge and you can get her to complete a 30km fun ride. This way she could maybe understand why you enjoy cycling so much

hey Hubbers

anyone have the same issue as me!

my wife hates my cycling! she is always complaining when i want to ride and its really impacting on my training!

she has actually made me feel guilty for wanting to ride!

guess i am going to have to start do the 4;30am rides story :(

Just logged on to this thread so not going to wade through 11 pages, but my wife hates my cycling 'cause she's tired of waiting for me at the water points. "Up your game!" she says...

Just logged on to this thread so not going to wade through 11 pages, but my wife hates my cycling 'cause she's tired of waiting for me at the water points. "Up your game!" she says...

Haha same problem lately