My wife hates my cycling

W@nna-BE

In their ( as in grumpy wives) defense, cycling is actually a stupid sport. You have to spend way too many hours riding to increase your performance. Running, ( which should be illegal) is much more time efficient. And cheap. With 12 hrs a week training, there's just never enough time for anything else. Should maybe give up work.

Great idea!! Let us know how it works out!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In their ( as in grumpy wives) defense, cycling is actually a stupid sport. You have to spend way too many hours riding to increase your performance. Running, ( which should be illegal) is much more time efficient. And cheap. With 12 hrs a week training, there's just never enough time for anything else. Should maybe give up work.

post-32242-0-81422700-1346222186.jpg

OK, nice thread and I must say that most guys with issues seem to have worked it out pretty well.

Dangle, Iron and Richard Best seem to have to best recipe.

we managed to get to some sort of an agreement. During the week, my son is all my responsibilty. I wake him up, dress him, take hom to school, fetch him in afternoons, bathe him, read stories before bedtime. Then I still managed to put IDT session in after the little man is asleep. Since IDT is at work, things are even better. And then I only ride/race once on a weekend for the whole morning. the rest of the weekend I'm at her Majesty's service. Seems to be working ok.

She has no interest in the sport whatsoever so this is the best deal I could manage.

The other thing I have to mention is, like what Dangle and others said, when you say you will be out 4 hours, keep it to four hours, work in extra time for those awesome longer rides

When I met the GF she had a Giant Rincon that was an XL size. Didn't take me long before she bought a gary fisher of which to her supprise started getting loads of upgrades until everything had been replaced. She even tells me we have to get onto CRC as she needs more stuff.... Although i think having a braai last night at a mates house we talked a little over her head with all the bike pimping plans. Seems a new SS bike is being born and we all know what goes with an SS bike. Serious pimping @Rouxjie can't wait to get shopping

Nice! Although we would be totally bankrupt if my g/f and I were both on the web shopping for bike bits - CRC, CWC, Wiggle, BuyCycle, SJS etc already make way too much money out of me!

Edited by walkerr

OK, nice thread and I must say that most guys with issues seem to have worked it out pretty well.

we managed to get to some sort of an agreement. During the week, my son is all my responsibilty. I wake him up, dress him, take hom to school, fetch him in afternoons, bathe him, read stories before bedtime. Then I still managed to put IDT session in after the little man is asleep. Since IDT is at work, things are even better. And then I only ride/race once on a weekend for the whole morning. the rest of the weekend I'm at her Majesty's service. Seems to be working ok.

She has no interest in the sport whatsoever so this is the best deal I could manage.

The other thing I have to mention is, like what Dangle and others said, when you say you will be out 4 hours, keep it to four hours, work in extra time for those awesome longer rides

With all due respect but it sounds like you are doing everything? My wife and i are splitting the kids responsibilities. She gets him ready in the morning. I take him to school. She takes the girls to school. In the evening she baths him i dress him. We both train together on a tuesday and thursday night(fitness training). During the week training is not an issue for us. Its the weekends. She does not really have a problem with me training when the rides are shorter (3-4 hours) but when they are longer rides. ie 5-6 and they are happening more often than most when i am training for an event like Sani it does get to her a bit. Now that things are warmer she will train on a mon, wed, and friday morning. I guess the moral of the story as mentioned by other posts is its all about balance.

If i dont climb for 3 days i get all hairy, walk on my knuckles and bite anything that tries to talk to me. So my girlfirend is super understanding as i am just generally a happy person if i have had excercise! surely if your wife cant tell that you are happier with cycling then she does not have your interests at heart? If that is the case then surely there is something fundamentally wrong with the relationship? It works both ways too. COMPROMISE!

If i dont climb for 3 days i get all hairy, walk on my knuckles and bite anything that tries to talk to me.

Well said. I come from a family riddled with depression - I guess it's in the genes. Quite by accident, I discovered that regular cycling (probably more the exercise and endorphins than the act of cycling) keeps the demons totally at bay. Keep me off the bike and I become a miserable g*t and not nice to be around.

Rudo, I have struck you off my christmas card list. :P

you and Dangle should write a book.

50 shades of cycling or something like that.

This what happens when you come from the old school. :clap: :clap:

My wife runs i ride have 3 kids and we dont have problems. Wife must not sit and watch the TV because thats when they think of al sorts of crap. And you get the short stick. YES a 3hr ride is a 3hr ride if you running late phone or SMS otherwise get ready for the boxing boys.

Just a thought, and ladies please don't think I am anti-woman, in actual fact I love chicks.

Look at your wives and Gf's and look at their circle of friends, often the biggest influence begins there.

Edited by Dangle

I am also one of the lucky ones

I play touch rugby twice a week in the evenings and I also play golf on a Saturday/Sunday Morning.

My girlfriend (we are getting married in Feb) doesn't complain about it at all and if she wants us to do something over the weekend she lets me know well in advance.

We both believe that you should have your own interests and that you need to spend time on your own.

We don't have kids yet, so it makes it easier.

Dont know whats going to happen when i start cycling but I am sure we will be able to work it out.

Friend of mine who used to do everything (tennis, touch rugby, judo and cycling) stopped it all when he got married and had kids...divorced after 7 years.

Edited by Escapee..

Guess I got it lucky then. My wife throws me out of the house if I don't cycle enough. She cycles as well, so there is a mutual understanding.

Just a thought, and ladies please don't think I am anti-woman, in actual fact I love chicks.

Look at your wives and Gf's and look at their circle of friends, often the biggest influence begins there.

100%. It is the woman that meet once or twice a week for coffee or shopping session, when they together they speak so much crap into each others heads. They then go home to the hubbies and start trying to change them. It will start something like why dont you cook supper ever because so and so's husband cooks every night bla bla

i mtb because of my wife.

she fell preggers just befor the sani (was lucky enough to gen an entry.)

she said there is no way she is losing this entry, and i have to ride in her place.

we went and bought a bike, and here i am now , totally addicted. we are seriously competing for riding time at the moment because of the kids.

did not ride much past weekend, and she is really PO because i am extremely ******* grumpy the last two days.

best thing she ever forced me to do.. even better than the time she made me...oh..wait...