MTB Events/Races - Etiquette?

martinsnyman

Simple as that, a nice gesture and often just a "may I pass at your convenience" has never earned me a PK.

I do get annoyed when they can move over for me to pass and just hog the track because they "also paid to be there"

Agreed, a nice clear 'Passing Left' or "Passing Right" has always worked for me, even for guys riding slowly 2 abreast on quadbike track.

Communicate and you are fine, guys lever look back to see if they are blocking you on MTB.

Technically, ipods/mp3's are outlawed in MTB race rules, pity some still chose to use them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask politely if you can pass - I have never had anyone not give way when asked.

Dont just squeeze past - let the guys know you are coming and ASK politely!

Works every time!

Sure, this is the way it goes.

But the momentum you lose waiting for these riders adds up over 70km.

Track hoggers and bottle necks put riders trying to get to A batch at a distinct disadvantage compared to riders starting A batch.

- Stay on the racing line as much as possible or stop to let riders past. The faster guys will pass off the racing line. You going off the line will result in you coming off and holding up everyone around you while the heli-evac comes.

- Use common sense. You know how this works.

Thank you Morewoodmad - always wondered about that one, following exactly the same reasoning. But unsure whether I was correct or stupid, being new to the mtb scene. Me being lesser skilled (or bawlled :blush: ) esp on descends don't now want to go and get off the track completely. I try to stay out the way and to one side, but still on the track.

Thank you Morewoodmad - always wondered about that one, following exactly the same reasoning. But unsure whether I was correct or stupid, being new to the mtb scene. Me being lesser skilled (or bawlled :blush: ) esp on descends don't now want to go and get off the track completely. I try to stay out the way and to one side, but still on the track.

only while you are still riding though...dismount...remove yourself completely from the track.

Martin, nice to meet yesterday, we smacked those lagers like nothing.

Look the rules are when dismounting you move TOTALLY off the track not just to the left. When there is a bottleneck and there were plenty yesterday, you wait your turn, do not ride to the front....the guys will chirp if you are lucky or you might get a pomp thrown at you. Other than that just enjoy

now there is a totally legit reason to ride with one of those big-ass frame pompe! Think I am buying one today! :ph34r:

I reckon 702's LEAD SA's slogan sums it up best.

Its your right to be on the racing line but your duty to consider all the other riders in the race.

If in doubt call on ye olde common sense.

now there is a totally legit reason to ride with one of those big-ass frame pompe! Think I am buying one today! :ph34r:

I find the floor model one is most effective....Bitch to carry around though :devil:

If you cant ride past someone, whats the point of running past the que? I know waiting isnt everyones favourite past-time at a race, but that doesnt mean jumping the que is the way to fix your frustration... (i have the sense there are a few people on this thread who would happily jump the que to move from position 150 to 130... whoop whoop... well done there!!)

If seeding is your concern, then just do more races and the seeding will sort itself out in the end?

Sure, this is the way it goes.

But the momentum you lose waiting for these riders adds up over 70km.

Track hoggers and bottle necks put riders trying to get to A batch at a distinct disadvantage compared to riders starting A batch.

To be fair - those of us in A paid our dues to get there. All of us started slowly and saw our fair share of queues, bottlenecks and backmarkers.

If you cant ride past someone, whats the point of running past the que? I know waiting isnt everyones favourite past-time at a race, but that doesnt mean jumping the que is the way to fix your frustration... (i have the sense there are a few people on this thread who would happily jump the que to move from position 150 to 130... whoop whoop... well done there!!)

If seeding is your concern, then just do more races and the seeding will sort itself out in the end?

I caught one of these guys on the last hill at saturday's race.....As I went past him I asked if he caught burry? He didn't know what to say

I caught one of these guys on the last hill at saturday's race.....As I went past him I asked if he caught burry? He didn't know what to say

:clap: :clap: :oops:

Martin it's nice to see that you have some common sense or rather, consideration for others. If I land up behind a slower rider due to whatever reason and that rider is actually riding I would be patient and either wait for them to give me an overtaking opportinity when it is save for them or I can do so without taking them out. They paid as much to ride as I did. But let's consider the bottleneck scenario and possible reasons for this. If a slower or technically inapt rider dismounts on the line to walk an obstacle it will have a knock on effect and this is unfair to those who can ride it. If it is because of an issue like a broken bridge then riders should stop being like sheep by trying to negotiate the broken bridge while hlding up others, again with a knock on. If the riders listened to the marshel at the bridge and portage through the water the bottle neck would not have been 5% of what it turned out to be. Those who chose to portage though the water are called out as inconsiderate because they did not want to stand around to try and cross a broken bridge crawling on hands and knees. From you original post it seems as if you understand this concept. Funny how for some people everybody in front of them are A-holes and everybody behind then are A-holes. Maybe it says something about the one in the middle?

Martin it's nice to see that you have some common sense or rather, consideration for others. If I land up behind a slower rider due to whatever reason and that rider is actually riding I would be patient and either wait for them to give me an overtaking opportinity when it is save for them or I can do so without taking them out. They paid as much to ride as I did. But let's consider the bottleneck scenario and possible reasons for this. If a slower or technically inapt rider dismounts on the line to walk an obstacle it will have a knock on effect and this is unfair to those who can ride it. If it is because of an issue like a broken bridge then riders should stop being like sheep by trying to negotiate the broken bridge while hlding up others, again with a knock on. If the riders listened to the marshel at the bridge and portage through the water the bottle neck would not have been 5% of what it turned out to be. Those who chose to portage though the water are called out as inconsiderate because they did not want to stand around to try and cross a broken bridge crawling on hands and knees. From you original post it seems as if you understand this concept. Funny how for some people everybody in front of them are A-holes and everybody behind then are A-holes. Maybe it says something about the one in the middle?

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg

Love your work!

I'd like some input to the following scenario. I'm bombing downhill on a single track with a verge that is not rideable(at least safely) at say 35km/h and a faster rider comes up behind me. Now the only way to let the rider pass is to stop and pull off the track. I say to the rider that as soon as there is a chance I'll let him pass yet he gives me lip. Does etiquette suggest that I should simply stop and pull off the track? Would that not both slow him down even further and be dangerous to both of us?