SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!!HELP

Trailman

I tried to buy a frame once and the guys address was in sandton, when I told him the I was close by he came up with a story that he had to move his bussiness to Kimberly and he will send the frame there. I know someone in Kimberly and said that my mate can fetch it from him there. He eventually gave me the address. Googled it and it looked really dodge so I called cops to see if bike shop was legit! The address he gave me was opposite the cop shop and no, no legit cycle shop

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

Simple one here. Phone your bank and let them confirm funds are in and available for you to use. Do this with any sale: family, friends and strangers - it's a business principle that needs to be followed, or your fingers WILL get burnt at some stage in life!!!

Maybe theHub can facilitate a secure payment system. On online Gentleman's agreement takes place where both parties agree to the transaction (price and condition of item), and the hub can hold the funds in a trust account until the purchaser accepts delivery and ok's the release of the payment. ?

Maybe theHub can facilitate a secure payment system. On online Gentleman's agreement takes place where both parties agree to the transaction (price and condition of item), and the hub can hold the funds in a trust account until the purchaser accepts delivery and ok's the release of the payment. ?

I prefer the you come view it and bring the cash with you system :clap: I don't want to get scammed.

What I do is simple, but I find it VERY effective...

Check the Hubber's profile and check his/her member registration date, check out their post history...

You will quickly notice if the member plays an active part in the community or just a chancer.

I then follow that up with a phone call and ask about their interest, riding, background and just a normal cycling chat, you notice immediately if the person is a legit hubber or just a fraud.

Edited by TheV

I bought and sold a bike off the hub this weekend:

Bought from Cape Town and I got the guy to drop the bike off at a cycleshop (I used Bikeplus in Constantia) so the bike is in the shop, near the seller, and it can stay there until the money has cleared. (I fortunately know Xavier so he did this service, but I recon others might also)

One I sold I dropped of the bike at the airport with the buyers parents who just happened to be traveling back from Dbn. I did however ask the buyer for details, and he sent me a link to his company website, where he is listed, and his brothers details who lives in durban.

So I had some comfort while the bank took 2 days for the money to clear.

In short, get details, or better still, use a trusted intermediary.

Escapee its 15a not 5a

but add extra chilli and garlic so the bastard suffers.

And Pineapple - lots of it

His name should have rung alarm bells... What kind of a name is Banson???

Quite right just thought that I should let everyone know as he is bound to use the same modus operandi as before.

• 1 month later...

The same Banson Mathews conned me out of a cellphone last week -low life scum.

For those who wish his email is banson_mathews@yahoo.com or cell 079 765 9810 you can setup a sting (he recognises my number now) and sell some on OLX. Or just bug the hell out of him

The same Banson Mathews conned me out of a cellphone last week -low life scum.

For those who wish his email is banson_mathews@yahoo.com or cell 079 765 9810 you can setup a sting (he recognises my number now) and sell some on OLX. Or just bug the hell out of him

Whats the full story?

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys

This dude is still active I had a ps3 up for sale and he smsed to purchase no questions on item at all this is a sure give away so I did some checking and lucky for me I found this page with your post. He is still using the same alias and address for the con.

I was very cautious as this was the 2nd attempted con on me for the same Ps3.

The first was a foreigner who called from a very loud and busy area taxi rank possibly and wanted the ps3 sent via Intercape busses to Jhb then I realized I have posted all my details online name,address and phone numbers this is a con artists dream only thing missing was my account number!

No way was I giving him that!

I have received more fraudsters viewing my ps3 than legit buyers very sad.

People please be careful out there and wary of posting your personal details online.

Gut instincts and level head saved me from all these scenarios.

Did you try get hold of him again? Banks often take a few working days to transfer inter-bank... Maybe you should try get hold of him just in case its not a scam

I'm not saying its all fine, but the last thing you want is for the cash to arrive in your account and you have defamed him on a public forum... that could turn out to be a bit ugly

Also maybe check with telephone directories for a Banson Mathews and see if the address is legit (use Telkom white pages)

Dude, believe me all these scamsters operate from Houghton, that address does not exist - I checked.