Endurance Nutrition

JJDT

My 14 year old son is doing adventure racing, which includes cycling(MTB), running, absailing etc. which will be done in teams of 4.

This will be done in the format where they will have to locate various check points on a terrain using maps. They will be out basically the whole day 8hours + and will only be in the main transition point once or twice.

Apart from energy drinks what else do you reccomend food wise that they can carry with them in their backpacks and at the transition point?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

at the age of 14 I wouldn't recommend anything more than good old game, bananas, nuts, raisins...

Go chat to the guys at Dis-Chem they are clued up as to what he could use. But I would think that what Karma has said re what food to use is rather sound.

EXTREME caution! Most supplements are for a reason marked "Not for children under 12". The only one that has been designed for youngsters is SporsMax - MrPrice has now contracted SportsMax for all its athletes! Contact Jaco at 0828011427. Also be very weary for advice from some big pharmacies. If you desperately need to buy from one of them, I strongly suggest you look at SOLAL. Their products (and the ingredients they use) are expensive but also very well researched.

at the age of 14 I wouldn't recommend anything more than good old game, bananas, nuts, raisins...

Definately not the Game, too much goodies that cause spike.

Do not go to the guys here at Dischem. They are serious knuckle dragger's and I am sure will not be good for a 14 yr old.

For heavens sake, 14 yrs old! Listen to Karma!

This is how it starts............

I'd stock to a low GI diet, especially since he needs to compete for 8+ hrs.

Have a look at the 32Gi website, all their products can be used by children.

I'd advise oats, low gi sarmies, etc.and low fibre foods.

14 year old isn't that a tad young to do 8 hour endurance events...someone has to ask?

wouldn't it be better to be out riding skateboards, bmx, surfing, flying kites, playing pavement cricket / rugby etc....

14 year old isn't that a tad young to do 8 hour endurance events...someone has to ask?

Yip.....I was wondering the same thing!!

Peanut butter, raisins,banana and barone in the trusty old blender.... was carrying little packets of the stuff on me and even started using it on toast before races :drool:

wouldn't it be better to be out riding skateboards, bmx, surfing, flying kites, playing pavement cricket / rugby etc....

technically he is out "cycling(MTB), running, absailing etc." haha

14 ?

8 hour event.

Ja I might see a dude who will be hating sport by matric.

But at the OP.

At his age he don't need no supplement yoh, his body is young and agile enough to heal and recover itself quickly enough.

Potatoes, boiled egg or two, fruit daintees and biltong with lots of fluid.