Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful !!!

Thanks! I’m not sure if I want to use it even. That spider of yours looks lekker man!

Hi Guys

Hope I can get some advice on knife sharpeners from those in the know and there seems to be many on this site.

I am looking for a general knife sharpener for kitchen, fishing, pocket knives.

I have narrowed it down to the Lansky set of sharpeners or the Warthog. The Lansky seems the business but it is a mission to set up and it takes time? 

The Warthog seems to fit the bill and is quick and easy to use.

What say you?  Is there anything else I should be considering?

I really would appreciate your input on this.

Thanks

I am using a stone at present but it does not cut the bacon, so to speak.

I have both the warthog and the lansky.

Warthog is great if you just want to get something sharp quickly. But becomes a las when you need to change the stone angle, or swap the stones around.

Bur as soon as you become finicky and want a better edge, then the lansky becomes lekker. I now mostly use the lansky set.

If you set up the three or four stones before hand then clamping the blade and sharpening it becomes a quick affair. Especially if you do a couple of knives in a row.

I have both the warthog and the lansky.

Warthog is great if you just want to get something sharp quickly. But becomes a las when you need to change the stone angle, or swap the stones around.

Bur as soon as you become finicky and want a better edge, then the lansky becomes lekker. I now mostly use the lansky set.

If you set up the three or four stones before hand then clamping the blade and sharpening it becomes a quick affair. Especially if you do a couple of knives in a row.

I am the same. Warthog sits in the kitchen and gets used for things like my Kitchen knives. Globals FTW BTW. Lansky only gets used for specific work as it takes time and effort compared to the Warthog....

Hi Guys

Hope I can get some advice on knife sharpeners from those in the know and there seems to be many on this site.

I am looking for a general knife sharpener for kitchen, fishing, pocket knives.

I have narrowed it down to the Lansky set of sharpeners or the Warthog. The Lansky seems the business but it is a mission to set up and it takes time? 

The Warthog seems to fit the bill and is quick and easy to use.

What say you?  Is there anything else I should be considering?

I really would appreciate your input on this.

Thanks

I am using a stone at present but it does not cut the bacon, so to speak.

They're quite different. Lansky/Smith's is a proper edge profiler, but takes longer and is not something you'd do too often. Warthog is more for quick sharpening - I have a similar sharpener I keep in the kitchen and for touch ups on other knives. 

Properly used, the lansky is hard to beat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlI5PaXsfOk

• 2 weeks later...

Todays blade. fb175006556f4fb607bb4cfa06638de6.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ordered myself one of these with the plain claw blade.Great service from guys at TQM  :thumbup:

Brilliant Gummi enjoy. Ye tqm has got game and great products.

Ordered myself one of these with the plain claw blade.Great service from guys at TQM [emoji106]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

They're quite different. Lansky/Smith's is a proper edge profiler, but takes longer and is not something you'd do too often. Warthog is more for quick sharpening - I have a similar sharpener I keep in the kitchen and for touch ups on other knives. 

Properly used, the lansky is hard to beat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlI5PaXsfOk

Got the Warthog and I am very happy with once I got the blade angles right on the knives.

Got the Warthog and I am very happy with once I got the blade angles right on the knives.

Good show! They're all good kits, once you get used to working with them. 

Last night I used my Smith's kit to put a 20 degree edge on a new blade I'm busy making. Still amazes me how such a simple concept can work so darn well.

• 1 month later...

A little family belief (just in interest)

With a new knife we believe that one should cut oneself, so that the knife can taste the blood.  Otherwise the knife will stay "wild" and cause more serious injuries to its owner. 

Sacrificing a little blood to the blade, it becomes tame.