Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://kramerknives.com/resources/images/auction/mar10-1.png

These pics deserve to be opened at full res in a new window.. OMG they are gorgeous!

Not exactly a pocket knife but here goes.

I LOVE cooking and chefs knives - especially the Japanese kind.

Problem is I can't afford them.

So I decided to make a single bevel edge Santoku out of a piece of 4mm stainless flat bar I had laying around.

This is the project so far...

Looks great so far :thumbup:

What scales are going on there?

Looks great so far :thumbup:

What scales are going on there?

Sorry Gummi - you're talking to an amateur here! I have good hands, but I'm not down with the lingo.

Scales?

If you mean handle, I have some dark buffalo horn pieces that I inherited from my late father in law, who was a knife maker. Beautiful. I also have Corian bone, which is ivory in colour and may also look good.

What do you think?

Not exactly a pocket knife but here goes.

I LOVE cooking and chefs knives - especially the Japanese kind.

Problem is I can't afford them.

So I decided to make a single bevel edge Santoku out of a piece of 4mm stainless flat bar I had laying around.

This is the project so far...

Looking good there Franky! Just have it hardened properly. There is a guy in Pta a friend of mine uses. Will try and get his number for you.

*Frankie is sent you a PM with his details

Edited by Letum911

Picked up this Kukri recently. Does anyone else have one?

attachicon.gifSANY0039.jpg

I have something similar I  indirectly "borrowed" from a cuban many years ago..... no idea if it is the real thing at all - came with a tobacco pouch.

I have something similar I  indirectly "borrowed" from a cuban many years ago..... no idea if it is the real thing at all - came with a tobacco pouch.

Probably not a Kukri, as they are from Nepal & were used to, ah-hem,'snuff' the enemy and an unfortunate food source. Tobacco pouches not exactly a requisite.

But...post a pic, I'm keen to check it out.

Probably not a Kukri, as they are from Nepal & were used to, ah-hem,'snuff' the enemy and an unfortunate food source. Tobacco pouches not exactly a requisite.

But...post a pic, I'm keen to check it out.

In a box somewhere with some old army boots and stuff - will post a photo when I clean up that area of my roof storage... :) - havn't done it in 11 years, so don't hold your breath - my wife says i must tidy up my study first.....

So I thought I would share my EDC collection with the group:

Left being a stainless mini fixed blade with giraffe bone scales: Made by Jeff Angelo

2nd from left a damascus mini fixed blade with ivory scales: Made by Harris Engelbreght

3rd: My trusty CRKT, you just can't go wrong here.

4th: A titanium folder, also hand made

post-19039-0-19054400-1441952073_thumb.jpgpost-19039-0-62844200-1441952082_thumb.jpg

Picked up this Kukri recently. Does anyone else have one?

attachicon.gifSANY0039.jpg

I had one like that which my dad gave away while I was working in Russia in the nineties  :huh: (he didn't want it in his house :whistling: )

theres a makers date stamped onto the kukri blade where it meets the handle and those ones are made in Nepal now (they came with a red wax authenticity seal on the handle but it breaks off quickly so maybe yours is gone )

the original gurkha ones (Burma)are hard to find and worth a ton of money these days

the two smalls are a skinning blade (sharpened) and a sharpening steel (dull edged)

the furniture (scabbard etc ) are std gurkha military style with the brass parts polished and designed to fit on a brit army webb belt and they are made from wood and leather

the steel is awesome quality said to be made from from old enfield rifle barrel steel and you can hone that sucker so sharp its like a straight razor

careful if you play with it :blink:  :thumbup:

Edited by velomonatiCT

So I thought I would share my EDC collection with the group:

Left being a stainless mini fixed blade with giraffe bone scales: Made by Jeff Angelo

2nd from left a damascus mini fixed blade with ivory scales: Made by Harris Engelbreght

3rd: My trusty CRKT, you just can't go wrong here.

4th: A titanium folder, also hand made

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpg

Nice! Which CRKT is that?