Best value hardtail 29er for under R15k

StevieL

What are those wheels like?

And 14k for a carbon 29er?? Serious?

It's not a carbon bike. Didn't have any issues with the wheels. I would suggest speaking to Westdene Cycles - not great service, but very good prices.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for 2012 clearance bargains, i got a 29HT with XT shiters, derailers and Reba RLT remote lock shock for under R10 000.00

Edited by scotty

I'm sitting in exactly the same boat...and its a k@k boat at that. :nuke:

Have a look at this that I've posted

http://www.thehubsa....s-momsen-al529/

Should give you an idea whats good for about R15k

I think the biggest problem is being spoilt for choice and I stil get that "mine is bigger thatn yours" feeling so you don;t want to make a mistake with buying the "wrong" bike..

Take a look at the Axis A10 2013, they saying it should come in at around the 13K mark which leaves you with some cash for a tjooplis setup and a leka computer for around 15k. On the other hand I can get a 2012 Giant xtc 29er 1 for 13K with similar spec to the Axis..the Giant is a "better" made frame, it boils down to which bikes geometry will suit me better.

Also silverback is having their launch in cpt on the 6 oct..got an invite, this should be interesting..like the look of their new 27.5's but yet again a spanner is being thrown in the works :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: also I've seen that they've "downgraded" from 2012 so their bikes would have to come in cheaper than this year.

I'm also waiting for Titan to launch their 29er PRO..bike looks sick and is AWESOMELY specced.

Momsen is launching an SL629 in October for around 17.5K..not specced as good as the other 15K jobbies but its got a carbon frame, take a look http://www.momsenbik....cfm?prod=sl629

That said waiting another 2 weeks is not gona kill :thumbdown: or atleast I hope it doesnt :cursing: :unsure:

Goodluck..I'll be following your posts :thumbup:

I'm sitting in exactly the same boat...and its a k@k boat at that. :nuke:

Have a look at this that I've posted

http://www.thehubsa....s-momsen-al529/

Should give you an idea whats good for about R15k

I think the biggest problem is being spoilt for choice and I stil get that "mine is bigger thatn yours" feeling so you don;t want to make a mistake with buying the "wrong" bike..

Take a look at the Axis A10 2013, they saying it should come in at around the 13K mark which leaves you with some cash for a tjooplis setup and a leka computer for around 15k. On the other hand I can get a 2012 Giant xtc 29er 1 for 13K with similar spec to the Axis..the Giant is a "better" made frame, it boils down to which bikes geometry will suit me better.

Also silverback is having their launch in cpt on the 6 oct..got an invite, this should be interesting..like the look of their new 27.5's but yet again a spanner is being thrown in the works :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: also I've seen that they've "downgraded" from 2012 so their bikes would have to come in cheaper than this year.

I'm also waiting for Titan to launch their 29er PRO..bike looks sick and is AWESOMELY specced.

Momsen is launching an SL629 in October for around 17.5K..not specced as good as the other 15K jobbies but its got a carbon frame, take a look http://www.momsenbik....cfm?prod=sl629

That said waiting another 2 weeks is not gona kill :thumbdown: or atleast I hope it doesnt :cursing: :unsure:

Goodluck..I'll be following your posts :thumbup:

In the exact same position as you too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

im on a silverback vida 1...awesome machine..very happy with it. you should get one for 15k

I saw the coolest silverback at a lbs this morning. Lovely looking frame. SLX gruppo not for me. But cool bike

Not familiar with the brand so I dont know where it would fit in to the range

I've also just started, bought myself the cheapie of the Silverback Vida range and its a great bike, if you can fford the Vida 1 I'd say go for it- it's tough to beat silverback for value.vs.price.

• 3 weeks later...

Super spec, super heavy though, im assuming weight is a consideration if someone is looking for aHT

"Super heavy" is a bit harsh. They weigh more or less the same as the equivalent spec Anthem X which is known for being light. Some are even lighter. Weight comments from reviews stem from the fact that the Momsen already have light wheels on whereas the Anthem you have to go aftermarket. The upside of that is you could have a bike that is a fair few grams lighter than the Momsen if you do go with aftermarket wheels, but the downside is to have the benefit of light wheels you have to spend more money.

I'd rather have a light wheelset...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a vida 1 and its a gr8 bike. The only problem is the frames tend to crack a lot but at least you get a new bike every year

The Silverback Vida 1 is the best buy imo... Weight in at 11.004kg with tubeless conversion, for under 15k!!! Mine has 475km on the clock and NOTHING has gone wrong!!! I ride more than 50km a day, 6 days a week and i still cant find fault!!!

I should hope nothing had gone wrong... by your calculations you have had it less than two weeks!

Bought my 2013 Titan 29Pro for just over R13500 on 24/10/2012 - already have 250Km on it and love the ride. Full XT with Avid Elixir 5 brakes and Rockshock Reba RL Shock with poplock - Lekker wheels too - ZTR Arch on the XT hubs

Bought my 2013 Titan 29Pro for just over R13500 on 24/10/2012 - already have 250Km on it and love the ride. Full XT with Avid Elixir 5 brakes and Rockshock Reba RL Shock with poplock - Lekker wheels too - ZTR Arch on the XT hubs

My BRU, where'd you get the titan for that CHEAP?!blush.png

Cheapest in CPT in R15k straightcursing.gif