Why not stop at red traffic lights?

Green Hornet

Yesterday I saw a potential organ donor as she jumped a red robot in Woodstock commuting to work. I decided not to get worked up as its her choice to do such a dangerous thing.

Personally I stop at stop streets and red robots as I'm trying to set an example to my kids - the only other cyclists I really care about.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously another red traffic light thread? Bottom line, you didn't like what the group that you were with were doing, so don't ride with them again. You are not going to educate / change the behaviour of a group of 20 riders by shouting from the back of the bunch, frankly this would just hack off most riders. Cyclist are going to jump lights, this will never change, same as riding two abreast and the rest of the other petty infractions that people bleat about.

which is severely antagonising and a time waster of note.

dont think of it as a waste of time, rather a chance to practice your track stand and your sprinting.

In boksburg you dont even skip green lights because chances are there will be a car coming through the red on the other side.

Try a Critical Mass ride to see what a wrong message is sent out about cyclists and their ability/need to abide by traffic laws. Albeit in the name of protest, still not cool in my books.

One of my big bug bears with Critical Mass. The whole "protest" vibe seems to encourage some folk to deliberately antagonise other road users. We should be looking to spread the message that we are here to use the roads in harmony with other road users.

Cyclist are going to jump lights, this will never change, same as riding two abreast and the rest of the other petty infractions that people bleat about.

Petty? So risking getting killed by a car and giving all cyclists a bad rep is petty?

Yaaaawwwnnnn.

I stop at lights, I'd like to think all responsible cyclists stop at lights, unfortunately most amateur boy racers think it's cool to roll through.

May the cars / taxi's / trucks flatten them all, and please let it happen often so that some of the others can learn that it's plain dumb.

I won't miss them for a second, I won't post a sad "RIP fellow cyclist" on the hub. I will say "good riddance", though.

This seems to be common practice among those groups who groove a furrow up and down the M4 and/ or R102 between Durban and Ballito. Same thing has happened to me before (me stopping at red lights and having to catch up each time). This is why I do my own thing or join those who actually do click that they are part of the traffic and therefore a road vehicle themselves.

Who stops at green lights, if you feel it unsafe/unsure to proceed?

I always yield at a green light just to make sure the cars coming the other way are indeed stopping/stopped. There is only one person who is going to take responsibility for your own safety, and that's you.

I always yield at a green light just to make sure the cars coming the other way are indeed stopping/stopped. There is only one person who is going to take responsibility for your own safety, and that's you.

So, if you MUST stop at a red light, then surely you MUST ride at a green light? Is stopping//yielding at a green light then not equally as wrong as riding through a red light?

So, if you MUST stop at a red light, then surely you MUST ride at a green light? Is stopping//yielding at a green light then not equally as wrong as riding through a red light?

The most bizarre logic I have ever heard. So if I approach a green robot in my car and there has been an accident that blocks the entire middle of the intersection I must just keep driving as I am obligated to obey the green light? Or if I can clearly see that someone is about to shoot the red from the other direction, I must still just go and not stop?

Notice how I used the word yield and you kindly threw yield/stop into your response.

Edited by Clint_ZA

My main issue with the group was that they were not at all interested in stopping at red traffic lights! They treated all of these as yield signs, checking for approaching traffic, then rolling through with 20 bikes, when the coast looked clear....

That's usually the problem right there. And 20 guys is still a small bunch. The groups I ride with are usually around 60 or more. The logistics of having 60 or more guys stop without someone rear-ending someone else is near impossible.

Oh crikey, can you imagine if the OP took a photo, he would have started whining about him taking his hands off his bars and endangering the lives of other riders.

Can you not see the bigger picture? Or are one off those who moan about what's on TV but don't pay your tv license?

The most bizarre logic I have ever heard. So if I approach a green robot in my car and there has been an accident that blocks the entire middle of the intersection I must just keep driving as I am obligated to obey the green light? Or if I can clearly see that someone is about to shoot the red from the other direction, I must still just go and not stop?

Notice how I used the word yield and you kindly threw yield/stop into your response.

Note how the thread was about stopping/riding/yielding at red robots

anyways... the point I was making, and which you've assisted with is that the judgementals here insist

1.) Stopping at a red light is an absolute

2.) Riding at a green light is discrentianary

Double standards? I'd say!

cheers

Seriously another red traffic light thread? Bottom line, you didn't like what the group that you were with were doing, so don't ride with them again. You are not going to educate / change the behaviour of a group of 20 riders by shouting from the back of the bunch, frankly this would just hack off most riders. Cyclist are going to jump lights, this will never change, same as riding two abreast and the rest of the other petty infractions that people bleat about.

They must just not act shocked when a taxi plows through their little group and smears them all over the road....