Mtb. Who is getting 1 x 11 ?

RoboLuke

1x9 already feels like a huge sloppy indulgence, 34 front ring with 11-32, gives me about 50km/h topspeed and what feels like an easy granny gear after SS, so 1x11 with a range of 10-42 should be enough for any situation ( what are the cruising speeds on marathon races? surely not really over 60km/h) and you should be able to sustain a climb of over 10% ave. with short bits over 20% on this 1x11.

I think most guys are overgeared, at this price and spec level the more serious rider should really easily manage with this range.

I love the new derailleur design, no chainslap, and a good gripshift gives easy whole-cassette shifting for when the trail suddenly goes up.

My 2 c

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

been thinking about doing this as well. Wont change the rear cluster. Will just remove small blade in front. I can climb pretty much anything in big blade

1x9 already feels like a huge sloppy indulgence, 34 front ring with 11-32, gives me about 50km/h topspeed

At a cadence of 123. Wow, you are hard. Imagine if you get a 1x11 you'll be able to be even harder as you'll be able to run a 44 on the front and keep the same bottom end gearing.

Which means a tjop end of 61.5kph at 123 cadence.

ja im thinking that 1 x 11 is very slippery slope down to SS...Had 30 gears (dammit not enough) now 20 gears thinking of 11 gears...

Cost, undetermined at this stage.

Also from what I understand the biggest challenge is going to be free hub-bodies.

It will be $$$$$ however.

More for the racing snakes.

Really really really strong racing snakes .........

At a cadence of 123. Wow, you are hard. Imagine if you get a 1x11 you'll be able to be even harder as you'll be able to run a 44 on the front and keep the same bottom end gearing.

Which means a tjop end of 61.5kph at 123 cadence.

Maybe I tested it down a mineshaft :blink: but it really feels fine

Changed to 2 x 9 years ago on my AM bike as I wasn't using the big blade and could do with more BB clearance. Changed to 1 x 10 on my AM bike earlier this year. Lost 1.5 ratios on top speed and 2.5 ratios + granny. So I've had to work on my strength to effectively climb in 4th gear rather than granny. Takes some getting used to, but if its all you have then you have NO choice but to man up.

Going 1x11 will make it easier. OR, I could keep same low end and go higher on top end to give me greater speed. Will go 1x11 in a year or so. Give them time to sort all the details and work out reliability issues.

3xanything won't see me again.

Taking into account my physical powers, I'll stick to as many gears in as wide a range as possible.

It would be interesting to see a time trail comparison / analysis of the 3 different systems with the same rider, same course, same conditions expressed in effort (Watts and HR), time taken and the weight saving in grams.

While i'm sure there are riders capable of using fewer gears to ride a given mtb course, how much benefit is there really...

From what I read in overseas mags,it seems the 1x11 was only designed for am/dh riders who are currently running one blade upfront,also the design of the chain links is different on alternate links to be compatiable to the chainring.Certainly a great design,but most likely overpriced and only really suitable for a small market of riders.

From what I read in overseas mags,it seems the 1x11 was only designed for am/dh riders who are currently running one blade upfront,also the design of the chain links is different on alternate links to be compatiable to the chainring.Certainly a great design,but most likely overpriced and only really suitable for a small market of riders.

DH racers / riders ride road cassettes most of the time. Even though the XX1 rear der design has it's roots in a DH design, it has moved along and this complete groupset has nothing to do with that.

Pinkbike's Take:

http://gs1.pinkbike.org/209/sprt/i/bigquotes.png The XX1 group is certainly not going to be for everyone - its $1499 USD group price will make sure of that - but it could be just the ticket for a fit rider who is looking to simplify their drivetrain. No, it doesn't offer the same gearing range as a double-ring, ten speed setup, but that isn't SRAM's goal with XX1. What the group does offer, though, is a simpler drivetrain layout that is aimed at strong riders who know exactly what type of gearing they need. And we're not talking about only cross-country racers, but also fit trail riders out there as well. The single ring group should also have an impact on bike design - will we see frames built without front derailleurs in mind? We're betting that is exactly what will happen, especially in the 29er market where front derailleur clearance issues with the rear tire have been a concern. The final point to keep in mind is that SRAM is not trying to replace the ten speed drivetrain - XX1 will be one option of many that allows riders to choose what makes the most sense for them. - Mike Levy

• 2 weeks later...