Are roadies really THAT cool?

NotSoBigBen

I wonder what is the correct thing to do when finding yourself in a situation where you only have one spare tube, no cellphone or patch kit and you come across a person with a puncher with no spare tube/tool kit/pump whatsoever?

I will always help were I can, but giving them my spare tube and then what?Still got 30km to ride until I'm home....

Most important emergency kit you can take....I put mine in a ziplock bag. If it is a touch phone that does not work with the screen covered, then get one of those R50 Samsung phones from Game with a prepaid card that is loaded with airtime. I bought our domestic one of those this past weekend.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ExBigBen, you forgot to mention where you were riding.

Should this have happened further north, they would just have passed and probably screamed at you because you were in the way.

Now remember to pay it forward.

Please no rain for tomorrow morning !!!!!!

Well some sure are :thumbup:

After my second puncture in the rain this morning a small bunch come passed (5 or 6 riders) and do the customary 'are you allraaaaiiiiiit'

You could have ended it there, that has already changed my view! Roadies talk?

Ah Cyclewhizz meu amigo from your lips (keyboard) to God's ears .....

Looks a cracker day at the moment so hopefully my afternoon ride will be in more pleasant conditions! Trust me dude I will be forcing a spare tube on the next person I see stranded beside the road :thumbup:

You could have ended it there, that has already changed my view! Roadies talk?

Yep...we don't grunt at each other like MTB'ers.....(well I do, mostly because I am always in the wrong gear and my MTB weighs 17,5 kg, so coherence is a pipe dream)

Looks a cracker day at the moment so hopefully my afternoon ride will be in more pleasant conditions!

I'm riding now. Not taking any chances. This weather is way to fickle.

Ah Cyclewhizz meu amigo from your lips (keyboard) to God's ears .....

Looks a cracker day at the moment so hopefully my afternoon ride will be in more pleasant conditions! Trust me dude I will be forcing a spare tube on the next person I see stranded beside the road :thumbup:

Enjoy it...the heavens are opening up here...so you should get it by late tomorrow.....cold and wet today.

Yep...we don't grunt at each other like MTB'ers.....

You've never ridden with OB, have you?

I had a roadie stop and assisted me on my MTB after my pump broke, (I think he saw me moering it down out of frustration) the guy wasted a bomb on my spare tube (snake bite) and then assisted in patching the other tube so I can at least ride home, and almost made it, had to walk the last 2km.

this was on the stretch between Blouberg and Melkbosstrand.

Edited by Mr.E

Yep...we don't grunt at each other like MTB'ers.....(well I do, mostly because I am always in the wrong gear and my MTB weighs 17,5 kg, so coherence is a pipe dream)

Hey, when in the wild..

I was just thinking that even if someone wanted to 'carry really light' it would make sense to carry a repair kit rather than a tube? My thinking being that a tube gives you one chance but a repair kit would give a few more?

BTW I carry both and would have been fine this morning but like someone mentioned was a morale booster seeing as it was raining as well!

I'm riding now. Not taking any chances. This weather is way to fickle.

That just sounds like a lame excuse ??

If ExBigBen can ride in the rain then so can you :whistling:

Only roadies are scared of the rain :ph34r: :ph34r:

That just sounds like a lame excuse ??

If ExBigBen can ride in the rain then so can you :whistling:

Only roadies are scared of the rain :ph34r: :ph34r:

Well, not really, I'm still confined to indoor trainer, so if it rains I don't really care. Just that now, I can move it onto the patio and get some sun on me.