What front tyre for rigid SS?

Flippa

Hi guys,

I am looking for some guidance on what tyre to use for the the front of my rigid 29er SS. I started off with Maxxis Crossmark 2.1, but changed quite quickly to the Ikon 2.2. I've been very happy with the Ikons, overall grip is better than the Crossmarks.

However, At the 6 hour on Saturday, I sliced the sidewall of my front Ikon and the tyre is kaput. Should I go for another Ikon, given that I have been happy with the performance or should I consider the Maxxis Ardent in 2.25, a much more aggressive tyre?

Weight guide:

Maxxis Ikon 2.2 EXC 3C 520g

Maxxis Ardent 2.25 LUST 880g

My RR 2.2 snakeskins are ok, but I reckon I will defnitely go 2.4 next time round....bit more volume, bit more cushion...add another 1mm travel haha thumbup1.gif

The biggest Geax Sugarro you can find - 2.2 is great - is wider than most 2.2 is quite high volume + "hy klou soos snot aan n wol kombers"

I don't have a rigid SS but I have been using a racing ralph snakeskin 2.2 on my SS for 5 months. Most of the trials we ride are quite rocky and the tyre has coped very well from a puncture/sidewall cut point of view.

I have just fitted a nobby nic snakeskin on the front as I think the racing ralph lacks grip in our conditions. I have not done a ride yet.

I love my 2.25" Ardent on my ss, sure I have suspension, but it rolls and grips well, runs and sit well on the rim at low pressure and it seems to wear very well too.

Did I also mention it is tough as nails!

RR snakeskin 2.25 or 2.35 ( not snakeskin), good volume, reasonable grip ( better than Ikon which I use on backwheel) lasts about 6000km on front. And new 2012 2.25 snakeskin only weighs 605gr. No real downside IMHO

Maxxis Holy Roller, is the way to go!

The Holy Roller is a BMX/urban tyre only available in 24" and 26", so I think you meant Highroller.

The Maxxis Highroller is a great front tyre but is only available in 26".

Since the OP asked advice on 29" tyres. I have ridden quite a few tyres on a rigid SS 29er and have to say that I really enjoyed the WTB Exiwolf and Wolverine in 29x2.3 and 29x2.25 respectively. But that is just my opinion, the trails you ride might require something different.

I run a Conti Mountain King 2.4 on my front rim converted to tubeless. Pumped to around 1.6 bar its perfect.

Same here. Mountain King 2.4 at 1.5 to 1.7 depending on how rocky the terrain is. Nice 25mm travel tyre that and quite grippy for almost any terrain.