Cyclist knocked down in St James this morning

babse

Yeah, responsible driving stops accidents from happening, and your drivers are anything but responsible.

But of course, "its just an accident" Force major, the stars aligned and his time was up.

Your very response sickens me to the core and already provids insight into your culture. <Spits>

Edited by GoLefty!!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true Lefty but I am not going to get involved in this as it is a very sensitive issue and also very emotional . All our vehicles got drivecam installed but that does not stop accidents from happening .

OK, show us some real world examples of how you used drivecam and other safety features to force one of your drivers to change their driving behaviour. We all here have given multiple examples of many locations all around the city where the majority of interaction on the road has not been pleasant.

You obviously want us to have faith in your systems, but the fruits of it are not evident out on the roads. Policy is not really what we're looking for. We want to see how you are actively bringing about change that will have a noticeable result in a different experience out on those roads.

Edited by Tubehunter

The road is open to cyclists, so what you're stating is crap and has nothing to do with 'facts'.

The law states you wait until it is safe to overtake. The eyewitness account we have tells us that this did not happen.

I have to ask, what are you hoping to achieve posting this utter nonsense on a cycling forum, when one of our own has just been unlawfully killed by a public service vehicle? Would you like to be next, because that is what we're looking at here if we don't stand together on this, now and in the forseeable future.

Golden Arrow is monitoring this thread and when they read your garbage it says 'business as usual' to them. The wheels on the bus go round and round.

I agree with your comments,but I have cycled along that section between St James and Muizenberg in the Muizies direction in traffic and it is not for the faint hearted.

There are two bends to the left in particular that are hair raising.I would not ride there again but would take the Boyes Drive option.

Guest ctMTBer

Not true Lefty but I am not going to get involved in this as it is a very sensitive issue and also very emotional . All our vehicles got drivecam installed but that does not stop accidents from happening .

See my post above. Golefty is 100% correct. GA laughed at me trying to report drivers.

Your busses are still breaking the law on Plattekloof road and have already been involved in one accident there. So watch that space. Some will be killed there.

The road is open to cyclists, so what you're stating is crap and has nothing to do with 'facts'.

Is the sign outside the money tree restaurant that tells northbound cyclists to use Boyes Drive not still there?

I'm not sure exactly where the accident happened, but can gauge that is was somewhere in St.James which has had construction completed but is a narrow section. I don't want to detract from the discussion here, and it appears to me the driver was at fault, but I think a bit of background to the road currently might help a lot of commenters who are not familiar with it.

*It is a hugely stressed commuter route, with cars backed up at a one way stop and go round the harbour for about 20-25mins at peak time.

*It has had roadworks disrupting it for about 4 years now.

*It is popular with both commuter and recreational riders. The road has been narrowed in places recently and there is more chance to ride on the pavement in the southbound direction.

*During long periods of construction, northbound cycling was not allowed. This has been/was ignored by many, many cyclists.

*Cyclists and drivers in cape town don't respect each other.

As someone who lives down the road and uses the route, I always felt that it was an accident was waiting to happen. Very very sad that it has actually happened.

Guest ctMTBer

Is the sign outside the money tree restaurant that tells northbound cyclists to use Boyes Drive not still there?

I'm not sure exactly where the accident happened, but can gauge that is was somewhere in St.James which has had construction completed but is a narrow section. I don't want to detract from the discussion here, and it appears to me the driver was at fault, but I think a bit of background to the road currently might help a lot of commenters who are not familiar with it.

*It is a hugely stressed commuter route, with cars backed up at a one way stop and go round the harbour for about 20-25mins at peak time.

*It is popular with both commuter and recreational riders. The road has been narrowed in places recently and there is more chance to ride on the pavement in the southbound direction.

*During long periods of construction, northbound cycling was not allowed. This has been/was ignored by many, many cyclists.

As someone who lives down the road and uses the route, I always felt that it was an accident was waiting to happen. Very very sad that it has actually happened.

Accident waiting to happen is because of GA, if they were not using that route this would not have happened. GA does not care for any other road users.

All very valid points. The long term strategy should be to identify these hotspots and tackle them with the city planning chaps. However the first goal should be that Golden Arrow do something to show the public at large that their drivers will not continue to simply hoot and drive over cyclists irrespective of what the road conditions are. Whichever way you try to justify this, driving a bus over a cyclist will have the same result. this is what needs to be addressed as a priority and is the intention of this thread and the emails that were sent to GA.

I heard Kieno Kammies ask Brett Herron some sweetheart questions on 567 this morning. It was real politician speak, and Kieno and Brett both ended off by implying the cyclists should use the Sea Point promenade and avoid other roads.

Pretty disgusting, but GA advertises on 567, so I'm guessing Kieno was told not to ask any hard questions.

Besides the fact that most of you can't read (I said I am not going to get into an argument ) it is also obvious to me that you cannot hold a proper debate about anything . I am not going to spoil this tread that should be about a cyclist that lost his life .

Guest ctMTBer

I heard Kieno Kammies ask Brett Herron some sweetheart questions on 567 this morning. It was real politician speak, and Kieno and Brett both ended off by implying the cyclists should use the Sea Point promenade and avoid other roads.

Pretty disgusting, but GA advertises on 567, so I'm guessing Kieno was told not to ask any hard questions.

I emailedd Brett many times and he said that he can not do anything wrt how GA behaves on the roads it is a traffic department issue.....

I can post the pictures and emails if anyone here wants to see them.....GA did not care then and will not care now..

Try and sent Brett a msg on twitter....it gets blocked and you can not send him a msg....interesting hey?

Guest ctMTBer

Besides the fact that most of you can't read (I said I am not going to get into an argument ) it is also obvious to me that you cannot hold a proper debate about anything . I am not going to spoil this tread that should be about a cyclist that lost his life .

This thread is 2 fold, one about the cyclist and the other about WHY?

The why is GA and I have proof that for 2 years I tried to get GA to do something about their drivers so do not come here and say "not true GoLefty" !!

May I suggest another thread for the GA/PPA/Safety debate, someone died here, keep the thread for condolonces and respect....

Yep, cycling laps on the promenade will get the 300 km a week of training in, NOT. That's about as practical as one of us doing an interview and telling Brett and Kieno to rather walk to work so that they don't run the risk of endangering a cyclist in their vehicles!

The issue with these type of events is that common sense goes out the window. Is it really that difficult for motorists, law makers and service providers to understand that killing someone with a vehicle is not justified and that as much as accidents do happen the majority of the carnage we see out on the roads is from poor driving behaviour and attitudes that are only reinforced by thoughtless comments such as 'restricting cyclists to a promenade.'

Trying to keep a grip here!

May I suggest another thread for the GA/PPA/Safety debate, someone died here, keep the thread for condolonces and respect....

The best form of respect we can show the fallen rider is to actively do something that brings about change and if this thread is the vehicle to that, then so be it! The overwhelming majority of us who cycle through this stretch would look to see some real change in the behaviour of the drivers there, from this incident moving forward. Are we reaching too high to want bus drivers to simply slow down and not drive over us?? Really???

Edited by Tubehunter

Yah, when I roll down narrow and risky roads, I own the lane and, on hearing the rev of an engine behind me, I raise my pam to indicate "Chill".

Then, when clear to move safely to the Left, I wave a thanks to motorist.

Admittedly, that stretch of road is a pressured route for commuters.

Still...

Passing laws to protect cyclists and pedestrians is the only way to change culture here.

Protecting cyclists has numerous economic advantages.

1) it will get more people out on their bikes enabling a healthier, less stressed society.

2) protecting cyclists will force drivers to be more aware and more careful. Hit a cyclist or a pedestrian and you go to jail with court appearance the next morning. 24hrs in Jail should help you see the error of driving fast or negligently in built up areas.

3) Cyclists allow more people onto the road in a given space. Thats more efficient use of infrastructure.

4) In residential areas, if the 1.5m overtake rule is enforced it forces motorists to drive slower, lowering fuel consumption and raising their overall awareness. This has a positive benefit to pedestrians, especially small children and pets.

5) Cyclist should not be allowed on certain roads unless a cycle lane is present. (safety benefit)

6) lower the speed limit in residential areas to 30km/hr (fuel consumption and safety benefits)

7) lower the speed limits on Main roads to 50km/hr (fuel consumption and safety benefits)

8) Do not allow buses on route where the road does not meet a minimum width. Screw that they lose business to taxi's. My number of close calls with taxi's to buses is 1:15

9). Construction of cycle lanes provides employment in the western cape. Its a sustainable investment becaseu those lanes need to be maintained, will allow more people to get to work without having to rely on irresponsible or inefficient public transport