The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

I just read a review in a local mag of a R85 000 mountain bike, where the article ended off with "and won't break the bank..."

Wait, what?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which local mag? Clearly the editor is not checking the articles properly or subscribed to the same "rich" mentality.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

I just read a review in a local mag of a R85 000 mountain bike, where the article ended off with "and won't break the bank..."

Wait, what?

PINA?

Scott Genuis 700 - the new 650B top-of-range carbon one. Great bike, but certainly not "affordable" by any stretch of the imagination, or am I just too frugal for my own good?

I fully agree with you. R85 000 will buy you a pretty decent 2nd car. For some an absolute necessity to a means of getting to work and to provide for a family. Then some rich bugger comes along and buys a bicycle for that amount to ride once, maybe twice a week with his other rich friends.

Like I said before... MTB is the new golf.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

Wait, what?

Must be a play on words. It *helps* the bank. It breaks you.

Prices are really just crazy, it's getting out of hand in my opinion. Yet, people will still pay and as such the prices remain. It's certainly not sustainable in the current world financial climate.

The cost of bikes is disgusting

I can buy this Triumph 800 XC for the combined cost of my BMC road bike and Santa Cruz MTB

post-523-0-13795200-1351066221_thumb.jpg

I fully agree with you. R85 000 will buy you a pretty decent 2nd car. For some an absolute necessity to a means of getting to work and to provide for a family. Then some rich bugger comes along and buys a bicycle for that amount to ride once, maybe twice a week with his other rich friends.

Like I said before... MTB is the new golf.

MTB is the new F1/ yachting more like it, certainly not sustainable.

Correction, the article stated "you don't have to rob a bank to afford it". same thing really :P

Madness.........and I was thinking about a Scott. Guess that's the end of that.

The bike in question is the top of the range carbon version - the 700. According to the article the 710 should be roughly 50k, and there are a few cheaper models after that...

Yip saw that same "won't break the bank" part in the review, nearly moered off my chair....it won't break the bank, it will flippen destroy it. Think it must have been a mistake

Correction, the article stated "you don't have to rob a bank to afford it". same thing really tongue.png

The bike in question is the top of the range carbon version - the 700. According to the article the 710 should be roughly 50k, and there are a few cheaper models after that...

Please post link to article. Saw the 710 at 3 Towers and it was around R 31k.