The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

I know a guy that took a R100k bond to buy a R60k bike for himself and R20k each for his wife and son.

I also know a guy that lives in a R14mil house but rides a R10k bike.

Depends on the person and what their goals are.

If you can afford it buy it......to get into debt for a bike is crazy.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure the question should be about who can afford what. We all but different cars based on what we can afford. They all do essentially the same thing. A to B.

What I struggle with is, do you get R70k of extra value between a R15k and an R85k bike. Not in terms of ego etc but rather in terms of extra stuff from the manufacturer. Better carbon, better alloys on the drive train. More time and labour to make due to more intricate design.

And ultimately better performance.

My R3k Raleigh RC3000 works rather well. Now if I spent R30k on something bling and fancy, I will get a very smalll bit of extra speed as critical times. It will look nicer and get me attention from my mates, but really R27k worth?

If I spent the R27k on a coach, worked a little less and trained a little more, I would improve far more than a fancier bike would allow me too.

To all you S-Works riders out there, does it hurt when you have to suck my Raleigh wheel?

Evidently not as much as it hurt's you living in a world where you have a Raleigh and they have S-Works...

Let me assure you they spend a-hell-of-a-lot less time thinking about you and your Raleigh than you do thinking about them and their S-Works...

Edited by TheV

I know a guy that took a R100k bond to buy a R60k bike for himself and R20k each for his wife and son.

There is only one word for that:

Stupid.

A bit off topic, but never mind the cost of a new bike...

When last did you have to replace a bunch of things on your bike?

My MTB went in for a service today, the LBS just phoned.

Almost R 5000 for a service.eek.gif

NOW, I am not complaining, because this includes a free hub body, shock service, BB, headset, new tyres and a new cassette.

BUT, the cost of a replacing these is 25 % off the value of my bike.

If I have to do this four times in the time that I own my bike, I would have paid 40k for a 20k bike.eek.gif

(and would have had many priceless hours of fun on it thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif )

Easy for him to say, as he rides his free demo bike...

Personally, I just can't imagine spending half of that on a bike.

And half again, for me...

I think the real shock is for people who dont cycle, your wifes and girlfriends ect. My girlfriend will always take a change to have a little dig that my bikes cost more than her car. I think its fine to spend a lot of money on a bike or anything for that matter if you have the means regardless of level. Like some posted R1k to someone is nothing and for another all the spare cash they have at the end of the month. The problem I have with people buying their kids a highly priced bike is that they often dont apprecaite or learn value. If you got a R30k MTB for your 12th birthday what are the expecation for the 18th?

When im an older ballie I also want a nice car, house ect so it would be natural to assume this extended to bicycles

Just the point I am trying to make... the REALITY is that there are massive barriers for everything in life, and there is nothing you can do about it except for trying to help your own kids over as many of them as you possibly can, it's life...

Do you think when those kids grow up that they won't face those exact same barriers in all other aspects of life?

Sitting back and making a judgement on other people, and knocking what they do for their kids are not going to get your kids (or any other kids) anywhere anyway?

The sooner one accepts that, and rather start focusing on what you can/are willing to do then better...

If I can't buy my son a 30k bike, then I will make sure I get him the best possible bike with the money I do have... be that looking for a great deal, negotiating, finding a sponsor, etc etc etc...

And when I have done that, I will do my best to help him train to maximise his potential and focus on his strengths as best I can...

And when I am happy that I have helped him with the best equipment and physical training I can possibly do, then I will focus on helping him mentally, and preparing him to think, attack in a different/strategic way... always looking for an edge...

And if that edge is to make fun of the oke on the expensive bike, and joke about the rich dad having a small peenus then I'll do that too...

But to sit back and cry, mope and worry about other people's finances won't help my son buggerall...

I am not judging or knocking anybody, my vision of school sports just differs from yours. I have an iPhone while my garden worker has a Nokia 1280 and at the same time I can only afford a car where other people have private jets so I don't believe me or my garden boy needs to feel sorry for ourselves. We both have things we can't afford and have to realise that being content is the only definition of rich.

The beauty of school sports like rugby and soccer it that it's a great leveller, so the kids can transcend their economic classes and compete. A kid who is competing in a strictly upper income group sport like horse riding or then mountain biking shouldn't demand the same accolades as kids who compete in a sport with a level playing field for eg rugby or soccer.

I would just like for mountain biking to be more accessible as a school sport.

NOW, I am not complaining, because this includes a free hub body, shock service, BB, headset, new tyres and a new cassette.

If I have to do this four times in the time that I own my bike, I would have paid 40k for a 20k bike.eek.gif

(and would have had many priceless hours of fun on it thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif )

Well you know what the solution is.

I think the real shock is for people who dont cycle. My girlfriend will always take a chance to have a little dig that my bikes cost more than her car.

I think the real shock is going to come when you marry her.

If it's a little dig now, it's going to become a lot bigger then...trust me.

Graveltravel - R 3.5k

Cassette, chain, chain ring, derailleur & minor service. Eina!

I think the real shock is going to come when you marry her.

If it's a little dig now, it's going to become a lot bigger then...trust me.

I know .. and have a plan. I will have to wait unti lshe gets a better car .....or do as most of you probably do ... lie about underplay the price

There is only one word for that:

Stupid.

Start a poll and see how bikes are financed.

Most are paid off on personal loans and bonds.That's why guys are shocked when they try and sell them in the classifieds,they still owe huge amount on those bikes.

idea for poll:

Cash

Credit card

Personal loan

Bond

Sponsored

I tried to start a poll but won't work

I am not judging or knocking anybody, my vision of school sports just differs from yours. I have an iPhone while my garden worker has a Nokia 1280 and at the same time I can only afford a car where other people have private jets so I don't believe me or my garden boy needs to feel sorry for ourselves. We both have things we can't afford and have to realise that being content is the only definition of rich.

The beauty of school sports like rugby and soccer it that it's a great leveller, so the kids can transcend their economic classes and compete. A kid who is competing in a strictly upper income group sport like horse riding or then mountain biking shouldn't demand the same accolades as kids who compete in a sport with a level playing field for eg rugby or soccer.

I would just like for mountain biking to be more accessible as a school sport.

I take your point, and agree on making it more accessible...

However, I do not begrudge anyone who does have the means or inclination to live their own lives...

I'm not here on this earth for a long time, I'm here for a fun time... everyone can do as they please, I have my own life to live

20k, 30k, 27999 Rond at a special ....eek.gif

What the éll do you people do for a living?!

I ride a 2004 Giant OCR3 and a 2012 Giant Escape1 with no shame

Ah, but you see, your location explains it all!