Kgalagadi MTB Race - 4x4ers in the moerin!

Dirtbreath

Them off-roaders dont like us "lycra-wearing fat-free lean/mean machine adrenaline junkies" much do they... I think perhaps their forum needs a "chicks on jeeps" thread

Please note that a growing number of people have raised concerns about this event. Whilst I am not opposed to events in National Parks, and am a keen MTBer myself (Lycra-and-all!), this event raises too many unanswered questions, Please catch up on some of these issues here: http://www.cape-hike...national-parks/

I have followed this discussion and posted on the 4x4 Community Forum as well as on the SANParks forum.

There is a huge amount of misinformation, over reaction and hysterics going around. Generally there is a very vocal anti-lobby that hate the idea that the sun also shines on others. They are happy to use (and abuse)National Parks themselves but do not want anyone different from them to have the same opportunity. The race will have virtually no negative environmental impact but the gas guzzling dust billowing 4x4 drivers (I'm one myself)are screaming blue murder. It is a small race organized by the SANParks honourary rangers to raise funds for the park. I think more cyclists (I'm one too)should post on those forums to give a better balanced response. Perhaps something a bit more level headed than the usual Hub responses are needed.

Looks like a deep-seated wish to me...

A quote from that forum:

"You only need one lioness to chase down and chomp on a super lean, 1st grade cyclist to bring to all to a grinding halt.

It will of course be the animals fault...http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif"

Plonkers. Fat self centered plonkers for the most part.

The issue is they think they are all real grens vegters and real men braving the elements and it pricks their bubble to see skinny people, men and women, having a blast on a bicycle where they think only real men dare to tread with their mucho vehicles

I should know. I drive a Landcruiser and belong to a 4X4 club

I too drive a 4x4, although an old '92 Nissan Sani. I think there are quite a few similarities with 4x4'ers and cyclists, especially in the poser category!

It seems with both activities that the more expensive your gear and ride, then naturally the better rider/driver you must be!

Drive a 4x4 myself, and really, really getting gatvol of the 4x4 community in general, not just that forum. Been to loads of 4x4 tracks etc. It's a massive generalisation but most of the 4x4 "okes" are really idiots. It's all about myself, myself, myself, ooh look at me in my 4x4, look what it can climb, I am such a awesome outdoor person, but then they cannot even run 100m without getting a heart attack or is so massively over kitted one would think they are doing a 10year long trip into deepest darkest africa.

Without all the "politics" between the two groups, there is a valid point that unless organisers do their bit to ensure that the event puts money aside to rehabilitate the area that the event will impact, the event should not go ahead...

But ja, some dudes frowning at cyclists while driving diesel and oil leaking machines deep into the wilderness is also a joke

Without all the "politics" between the two groups, there is a valid point that unless organisers do their bit to ensure that the event puts money aside to rehabilitate the area that the event will impact, the event should not go ahead...

But ja, some dudes frowning at cyclists while driving diesel and oil leaking machines deep into the wilderness is also a joke

Dont forget the genny going all night!

Dont forget the genny going all night!

funnily enough genny use is frowned upon by most 4x4ers i have come across

and yes im also a 4x4er myself