How do you pay for your bike?

Cippo

It is definately better to buy a bike cash. How many people can actually go out and buy a 40 to 60K bike cash now? This is what a good racing bike sells for.

Another question that links up to this is how frequently do you buy/replace your bike?

My rd bike is 3.5years old and my mtb is 4years old(frame 1year old). I am really keen to buy a new rd and mtb but to replace both these bikes will set me back at least 80-90K. Wow! Expensive hobby we have here

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay cash.

Replacement frequency

Road bike 1999 2002 2008

MTB 2001 2007 2013?

SS 2010 2012

I can't believe how many of you actually pay cash for your bikes eek.gif. Like wow,!!!

I prefer EFT. I will never carry that amount of cash around with me.

As mentioned now by everyone else (I couldn't figure out how to quote from my phone), Cash = what you have, ie !credit.

I've bought expensive upgrades, a set of Campy wheels all paid out of a 1-inch envelope.... but yeah, now EFT has taken over.

I don't ever have cash on me, except R50 in my jersey pocket for Groenies and a chocolate/Coke if I need it.

Everything cash. If I can't then I don't. Going through my invoices a while back was scary - all those little purchases add up.

My recently acquired wife would kick my ass if she knew how much I spend, but I just make sure its black in colour like the old stuff, she doesn't notice a thing ph34r.png

Now just to start using what I bought properly.

It is definately better to buy a bike cash. How many people can actually go out and buy a 40 to 60K bike cash now? This is what a good racing bike sells for.

50k for a "good" racing bike?cursing.gif That sounds like it makes anything at 20k (which honestly is still A LOT of money) seem like a cheap piece of crap.

HAHAHA.

+1 This is how I buy everything.

Makes sense to get an extra month's interest on the cash amount. Every rand helps wink.png

Yep, silly to do it any other way. It works really well, except when you accidentally pay 1 day late like I did the other day and get nailed with R200 interest. Ouch!

EFT - The V looked dodgy..................w00t.gif

Also thought he was an upstanding seller, but after him not returning my calls, messages or sms's to find out why he did not drop off an slx groupset at my office (wanted to pick it up from him, but he insisted on dropping it off), i wouldn't recommend anyone dealing with him. Just on the basis that he didn't communicate.

Yep, silly to do it any other way. It works really well, except when you accidentally pay 1 day late like I did the other day and get nailed with R200 interest. Ouch!

Some more benefits of a credit card:

- If you charge all your expenses to the CC, the monthly statement makes it very easy to track those expenses.

- You can earn loyalty rewards.

- You get extra protection in the form of chargebacks etc. Just look at the whole Velvet Sky thing: those who paid by card were able to get their money back from their banks, while those who paid cash had to rely on the goodwill of Computicket or worse.

Another question that links up to this is how frequently do you buy/replace your bike?

My rd bike is 3.5years old and my mtb is 4years old(frame 1year old). I am really keen to buy a new rd and mtb but to replace both these bikes will set me back at least 80-90K. Wow! Expensive hobby we have here

Question this ... who really needs a 80-90K bike .... seriously now!