650B is NOT 27.5"

Eldron

It seems the tyre manufacturers might need to read this thread. Looking at this pic of a Schwalbe, they use "650B" and "27.5" interchangebly.

http://thepathbikeshop.com/images/new_products/2013/components/Schwalbe-Hans-Dampf-275.jpg

My opinion, 650b / 27.5" (or whatever) is way to close to a 26'er to even bother. The other night I was riding behind a bike and had to look and look and look and look and eventually had to ask if it was a 275er. It was. If its that hard to tell, its moer close to 26er. 26er for tight rides, 29er for tight rides if you can handle it and marathons. Thanks, I'll take my cheque now.

Have you ridden a bike and its 27.5/650B/whatever-I'm-allowed-to-call-it equivalent?

I also thought there wasn't much too it. Yes sure, on a 29er you can "feel the difference" and cure cancer and all that crap...

But I have a 26" AM bike. The manufacturer released a 27.5" version of it. HayleyEarth has one, and for all intents and purposes it's pretty much the same setup as my 26" version. Same bar width, same stem length, even same frame size.

the 2 noticible differences were: a) it definitely "smoothens" out bumpy surfaces like corrugations on dirt roads., and B) It takes a little more effort to flick it from side to side on tight bermy trails.

So yeah, although there is only 25mm more in diameter, one can visibly notice the wheel size is different, as well as feel it on the trails.

So depending what you want the bike for, I wouldn't rule out the medium sized wheels as "way too close to even bother"

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we refer to 650b, then we know that we are talking 27.5inch wheels. It can be equated to clipless pedals. We all refer to our pedals being clipless, but they actually have clips on them. Nobody complains because we know what we are talking about

To quote an old cliche.........."whats in a name"

Just been reading through this thread (BAIE vertraag).

The clips referred to are the old cages. In the good old days they were called toe-clips. We no longer have these with cleats - those funny connect-y things under your shoes. So the new pedals ARE clipless.

Just been reading through this thread (BAIE vertraag).

The clips referred to are the old cages. In the good old days they were called toe-clips. We no longer have these with cleats - those funny connect-y things under your shoes. So the new pedals ARE clipless.

true... but then one shouldn't say things like "I ride clipped in" or "my shimano SPD was full of mud so I had trouble unclipping"...

they really should say "I ride clipless in", or "my shimano SPD was full of mud so I had trouble uncliplessing" :lol:

Point being, some things sound stupid so we refer to them by something else that seems to be an accepted norm. Yes for scientific and technical purposes 27.5 imperial inches is not equal to the French 650B standard (I get what Eldron is saying)... but when talking to your mates, a bike shop salesman, or even ording stuff online... 650B - 27.5... potayto, potaato.

Edited by patches

Completed my 650 conversion over the weekend, must say the bike handles like a charm. Definite change from 26"

post-341-0-13110600-1372748148_thumb.jpg

Who care if a 650B is not a 27.5

My Merida ninety nine 2000 is now a 650B and I think this frame was design with 650B wheel in mind.

Got it on special when Merida sold out all their 26 inch bikes, Got it brand new for R 12300. The wheels looked to small for me on the frame and now with the 650B wheels it look awesome, ride gravel roads, handle single track and technical sections just awesome

If you want to buy a new bike, best prices in South Africa Saleys Kroonstad

For excellent service try Buycycle, got the 650B rim and awesome service from them

post-7670-0-28363500-1372878072_thumb.jpg

Semantics, 27.5 was a marketing term coined in the US. For all intents and purposes, it's 650b. Which as a wheel sizing standard has been around for about 40 years.

Stupid question, Has anyone here taken a measuring tape to the bike? My tyre pressure is between 1,5-1.7 bar....

650b 69cm=27,1

29er 73cm=28,7

Have measured from edge to edge of tyre..should this be from the edge of rim?

Guest Latent Blue

Thread revival successful... cant believe it died out so quickly the first time

Guest Latent Blue

Welcome back! How was the move?

all good. We're settled in. Just signed an offer on a house yesterday in I think winston park or something... so excited to get a place of permanence...

Work is awesome though... its 11hour work days but I seriously enjoy it! Hows the hub been? Seriously boring in my absence most likely???

The difference you cannot look at in theory as the measurements don't show the difference between 26" and 650B go and put a set on a bike and try it the difference in handling grip roll over is evident, it is one of those you need to experience to understand. Everyone I know who has done the conversion has said they will not go back to 26" , the other factor that needs to be taken into account is the difference in cadence when riding. my rocky fits both 26" and 650B and the difference in ride is astounding.

The difference you cannot look at in theory as the measurements don't show the difference between 26" and 650B go and put a set on a bike and try it the difference in handling grip roll over is evident, it is one of those you need to experience to understand. Everyone I know who has done the conversion has said they will not go back to 26" , the other factor that needs to be taken into account is the difference in cadence when riding. my rocky fits both 26" and 650B and the difference in ride is astounding.

Who care if a 650B is not a 27.5

My Merida ninety nine 2000 is now a 650B and I think this frame was design with 650B wheel in mind.

Got it on special when Merida sold out all their 26 inch bikes, Got it brand new for R 12300. The wheels looked to small for me on the frame and now with the 650B wheels it look awesome, ride gravel roads, handle single track and technical sections just awesome

If you want to buy a new bike, best prices in South Africa Saleys Kroonstad

For excellent service try Buycycle, got the 650B rim and awesome service from them

http://gamersagainstbigotry.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/inigo-montoya.jpg

:lol:

ok, at least my understanding of it is different. When I think of handling I think of smashing berms, sailing jumps, 2 wheel drifting flat corners... etc. I think that a bike that "handles well" is one that enables one to do such things with a degree of confidence and ease.

What I think most bigger-wheel-riders mistake for "handling" is actually that rollability that the salesmen pitch to 1000s.

Cos when it comes to fast and loose cornering, or being airborne, bigger wheels are defiitely at a disadvantage.

I'm not saying they don't have their place. They do smooth out the rough bits. But lie one over siderways (or at least try to), and you'll see it feels less stable than a 26"

But hey, this is just what I've picked up. It's not the law

I battle to understand why some people are so sensitive about the whole 650b thing. If you want to ride one flippen ride one. Nobody is forcing anybody to ride the farking bike! If you want to ride a 26" ride it! If you want to ride a 29" ride it and if you want to ride a 650b ride the bloody thing. You have to ride it, nobody else. But some people have to give thier inputs to slate it. I ride a 650b and I enjoy it, I also ride a 26" bike and I enjoy it too and what the hell, maybe I will buy a 29er too and enjoy it too, it is my choice. Climb on your bike, stop bitching and ride it!

Could not agree more ... RIDE & ENJOY!!! that's really all that matters!!