Holla trails

Helpmytrap

Rode Purple today - very cool. Awesome section of single track - probably the best so far!

Is the courses rideable due to all the rain they have had?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got to Ballito yesterday. Havent been on my bike for a week and experiencing huge withdrawal symptoms. Want to ride at Holla tomorrow am. Ridden there once before last year with my son and dont want to ride it alone. Anyone keen. Btw not that strong yet. Just ridden W2Whales and training for Joberg2C but no racing snake. Slow and steady!

By the way - Scottburgh / Rocky Bay trails closed indefinitely due to washaways. Understandable but pretty much wasted a morning yesterday.

This should be good..

burry stander (@africanmtbkid) tweeted at 4:55 PM on Sun, Dec 16, 2012:

got a four hour holla trails mtb ride planned leaving my shop in ballito at 6am on tuesday. 15-20kmh avg .all welcome.

Ja I'm now neighbours with Burry - he just bought a house in my estate here in Ballito - about 2 doors down. I met Matt, who's going to be running the new concept store here in Ballito for Burry. Good guy. We're planning some rides together in the coming days, should be good.

Edited by tombeej

What is the address of the new Concept Cyclery store in Ballito. Must have a look.

I think I am going to join the ride on Tuesday. They will probably lose me quite early on. Still sounds like fun!

What is the address of the new Concept Cyclery store in Ballito. Must have a look.

I think I am going to join the ride on Tuesday. They will probably lose me quite early on. Still sounds like fun!

From the N2 heading into Ballito - towards the Lifestyle shopping centre - take the first right that you see (i.e. before the first traffic circle). You'll see the big Specialized sign dead ahead.

Apparently there is a new set of trails from Rocky Bay on the south coast near Pennington/Scottburgh. A 17k route, 24k and a 37k route. There is a YouTube clip that some guy filmed with his GoPro, doesn't look too bad.

Is the courses rideable due to all the rain they have had?

Yeah, a bit of mud - but very very little.

Yeah, a bit of mud - but very very little.

Nic, thanks again for all the incredible work you guys put into keeping the trails open. Much appreciated clap.gif

Yellow and Maroon are closed till the Umhlali River can go down enough for us to rebuild the bridges. We have put a detour on Black at the sub station to connect you with yellow to come home on (that part of yellow is fine).

Thanks tombeej. Had some challenges lately so its always appreciated to receive a comment like that - makes it worthwhile.

Weather looks good for the next week so enough dry weather to get some proper riding in.

Edited by @hollatrailsnic

Maroon bridge is now back up. Route is good to go but is needing some brushcutting to tidy it up properly so you may encoutner some long grass for some short stretches.

Let us know what you think

Did Maroon this morning, was great fun! Probably the most challenging route in the 25km range. no problems experienced another than one or two signs not visible (Garmin solved that) and the portion before the road part with the river was not really rideable - but pushing through is also fun ;) saw lots of the old bridges in ruins - big up for getting it sorted so fast.

Have one last ride on saturday before i head back home..... Think Red needs another go ;)

I hope you all don't mind me putting updates for Holla here cause here is the latest:

Yellow route back in the mix again. All bridges up bar one shorty - give it a go, your mum will never know!

Therefore we have everything back in business again. Only some small detours around where the water is ruining the fun.

When you're having fun...Holla!

so my epic partner and I are heading down to ballito on 26th to 2nd - even though its holiday we taking our bikes and wanna hit holla trails - Im keen to organise a ride or 2, easy going "base" training stuff...PM me if interested

My bike is now back in action. I'm heading up to JHB for christmas, back on 28th.

So from 29th I'm available to act as tour guide if anyone wants to see more than just the usual red/purple/maroon/yellow stuff.

If you're new to the area then just pitch up at Holla and enjoy. Top of the list are red & maroon (25-28km) and yellow (48km).

But if you've seen them before and looking for a different challenge, give me a call and we can hook up.

What I normally do is get the missus to drop us about 60km out in the mountains behind Holla and then we make our way back to the car park via black and the last bit of yellow.

Depending on how you feel, rides can average 70-80km. But it's very chilled - we're there to experience the magic of the area, not to scream by at breakneck pace. We'll also be doing more downhill than uphill (although there are a few challenging little climbs to keep us honest).

My number is zero eighty two 330 9718.

Merry christmas and see you on the 29th smile.png

Tom

Edited by tombeej

What I normally do is get the missus to drop us about 60km out in the mountains behind Holla and then we make our way back to the car park via black and the last bit of yellow.

Tombebeej just described one of the best rides you can have here - we call it the sneak,. Assuming you get dropped at our furthest point, It opens up the escarpment and about 17 km of steady downhill (following the Umhlali river) for those who normally dont like to ride further than 50 odd km.

Visitors: please remember to collect a valid day permit for the day on the way up or the day before to contribute your bit to our hard work. Remember: helping yourself to any trails without paying your dues is the same as shoplifting.

Do the sneak if you can find anyone to drive you up there. It really is a great adventure.