My new single speed build

BogusOne

Instructables only shows you so much. Its not entirely as easy as they make it out to be, specially if you are not DIY inclined. There are plenty curve balls to be dodged. I made a fair amount of test tubes etc before I actually started with the full on construction.

Also done a diy thing here and there but it takes experience and trail and error so this is not just a "lets give fiber glass a go" kind of job.

Big ups, post more pics, tired of reading all the well done comments :P

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry dude, there will always be armchair engineers who will tell you how easy something is, but never do something themselves.

We call them suikerpotte in my industry. During the design and execution phase of a project they are nowhere to be seen, but at completion phase you see them with hands on the hips(like a sugar pot) questioning everything that was manufactured/installed.

Love your work. Keep it up.

Baaahahahahahahahahaha you owe me a new keyboard dude

http://1.1.1.5/bmi/motivac.sopca.com/files/2007/04/rofl_seal.jpg

Jorsie I'm actually in management and hardly do any manual labor these days. But I have always been very technically minded and have always been very much into DIY. Nobody has ever worked on any of my bikes since I had my 1st bicycle at the age of 5. Think my dad showed and helped me once to repair a puncture.

Other than normal fibreglass I also have no prior experience in composites. A few years back I actually experimented with a downtube section wrapped with different lay ups of normal fibreglass, it was strong enough to suspend between two bricks and withstand direct weight of almost 300kg before it started to crack. That gave me the confidence to build with carbon as soon as I could find a local supplier.

A very wise old man told me many years ago "son you can learn a lot in life by just paying attention"

The Afrikaans people say ... "y steel met jou oe" (spelling) and I firmly believe in this, and then just speaking to people and asking questions. People often want to share their knowledge if approached and you show honest interest in their skills.

awesome project. Quick question, how do you test for strength?

Easy, if it breaks, it's not strong enough, wash, rinse, repeat...

The Afrikaans people say ... "y steel met jou oe" (spelling) and I firmly believe in this, and then just speaking to people and asking questions. People often want to share their knowledge if approached and you show honest interest in their skills.

Absolutely. Especially if it's something they're passionate about. Ask a cabinet maker to show you his trade, they will jump at the opportunity - but only if you're there, and not on your friggin iPhone all day while they're trying to show you something.

Here is just a quick couple of pics to show my progress. Head tube area after about 9 layers of carbon "patches" has been added to strengthen the joints. One layer of 3K weave carbon was added on top of that to finish it off. Still not sure if i want to keep the carbon look or paint the whole frame in some funky colors. http://1.1.1.5/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/sleep.png

Any way, let me know what you guys think?

Again, sorry for the poor crapberry pics. Will take some nice ones in the sunlight tomorrow blush.png

post-7810-0-07470500-1354563916_thumb.jpg

post-7810-0-82148300-1354563962_thumb.jpg

post-7810-0-38204700-1354563983_thumb.jpg

Dude, that looks super sweet. Keep it as is. No funky colours, just perhaps a few accent pinstripes or something. Just on the top tube / head tube area. Nothing more. And matt black decals for the name. Something like "Homegrown" or similar. Let the carbon speak for itself. Every time you see the weave, you'll remember that YOU built this single.

Don't want to spoil the whole "carbon trip" you've got us all on here... very admireable!clap.gif

That being said I have a fair amount of Reynolds steel tubing which I will happily share with some one that is serious about building a frame with it (and maybe one for me too unsure.png )

wish you the best!

Dude, that looks super sweet. Keep it as is. No funky colours, just perhaps a few accent pinstripes or something. Just on the top tube / head tube area. Nothing more. And matt black decals for the name. Something like "Homegrown" or similar. Let the carbon speak for itself. Every time you see the weave, you'll remember that YOU built this single.

Sweet. Will keep it natural then with some accent pieces here and there.

Was thinking of calling it " HomeBREW" with a little slogan on one of the chain stays that says " Euphoria hand crafted in a shed" ....

Also have this planned for the head badge. Made out of copper/brass with the actual lines etched in. HB obviously then standing for HomeBrew w00t.gif

post-7810-0-42112200-1354566702_thumb.jpg

Don't want to spoil the whole "carbon trip" you've got us all on here... very admireable!http://1.1.1.1/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif

That being said I have a fair amount of Reynolds steel tubing which I will happily share with some one that is serious about building a frame with it (and maybe one for me too http://1.1.1.1/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.png )

wish you the best!

Where are you based Lance Notstrong? Would love to get my hands on some Reynolds tubing to build some steel frames. drool.gif

That is pure awesomeness. If it got any cooler and I'd be fainting like a school girl at a Justin Beiber concert.

Nice work! Keep us posted!

Admin - can we peg this?

just looked at this now, pinned.

As promised a better pic taken in the sun of the head tube junction. Headset fitted loosely for measure. Think its really starting to look schweet if i have to say so myself drool.gif

Final clear coat layers will be added once i get the whole frame looking like this.

post-7810-0-23145200-1354650992_thumb.jpg

As promised a better pic taken in the sun of the head tube junction. Headset fitted loosely for measure. Think its really starting to look schweet if i have to say so myself drool.gif

Final clear coat layers will be added once i get the whole frame looking like this.

Damn, dude! That looks schweeeeet!