Top 10 Must do Mtb Events

Wil6

Western cape one day rides:

Eselfontein (Best route ever) <- True Story!!!

Tru Cape in Grabouw - nice and technical

Hakervile red route- short but out of this world.

Kysna 75km ride very cool

Any of the Lourensford rides (Vigne a V or Spur)

Stage Races

w2w

sani2c

lord of the chains

joberg to c

Eselfontein, free camping for the weekend, Friday night night-ride, saturday trail running and MTB, Saterday night party party party with live music, etc., Sunday enduro races. Great experiaaaanncceeee!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bielie Mielie

A friend of mine won this years race by 15 minutes. He says it was a great ride. Happens to be a Hubber too.

I have heard Swazi Frontier is one of the best but only if your skills are supreme.

so what is cheap? 6 days supported cannot be that cheap? do you stay in tents or BnB? is it catered? looks like something to do (that is the spring ride......not the race!)

It cost us about 40% of the Epic for the odd 700km in 59hours .....home stay at farmers / type of lodge / community run guesthouses / homestay @ Vuvu / Rhodes Hotel / and great Boere hospitality at Chesny Wold ......and this includes our transport to PMB and back home from Barckley East

Check page 1 for the latest leaders in nominations.Will update again on Monday and need a mod to help me get this thread changed so I can set up a poll.

I think there should be at least 1 24 hr event on the list. Don't care which one but for the overall vibe and experience its worth doing. Different to a normal race but loads of fun and real friendly.

Doing Rietvlei next weekend.

sani2c, joberg2c, berg and bush, best one day must be karkloof, sani ,Rhodes extreme was good but they changed the format,pricing etc,so did not support it this year

Sorry to see the Giants Castle not making the mix - how many guys have actually done it here? How how can you know what you don't know? So in that sense a popularity poll is fatally flawed.

It's the sort of event that most who have done it would say has to be done at least once. One of the big + is getting up high into the real foothills of the Drakensburg, its unique in that way. Here's some pics of my 2010 experience. Entered 2011 and 2012 but wasn't able to make it. Hopefully 2013. 10 km downhill makes it all worthwhile.

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/cycling/GiantsCastle_25April2010/Dancers_s.jpg

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/cycling/GiantsCastle_25April2010/OnTheGo_s.jpg

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/cycling/GiantsCastle_25April2010/CloudLand_s.jpg

What about the Magoebaskloof event? Done it once, was a stunning and tough ride. See its still happening but doesn't seem to come up here.

Many of these seem to be stage races, what are good single day events for those of us that have a bit of a tight budget? I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are.

Trans Karoo

I think there should be at least 1 24 hr event on the list. Don't care which one but for the overall vibe and experience its worth doing. Different to a normal race but loads of fun and real friendly.

Doing Rietvlei next weekend.

I agree Martin. See you there..

Archived