Club Cyclists arrested &fined-Umhlanga

ShaughnK

Minimun speed limit on a freeway is 40. No minimum on other roads

By the way it is illegal to drive on a road in a convoy. Does this make it illegal for cyclists to ride on the road in any type of group since bicycles have to follow the rules of the road and in a group they might be described as a convoy?

When using a following vehicle for a club ride the general thing to do is to ride 2 abreast because it shortens the line of bikes the cars need to get around. Halves it in fact if you discount the length of the support vehicle.

WIsh someone would have highlighted that to our "Blue Light Brigade"..... And any convoy of cars that travel crawl along with their hazards flashing on their way to a funeral for that matter.

Edited by Grebel

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was on the M4 and they were riding 2 abreast, then that fine possibly saved their lives, that road is a death trap in a vehicle never mind a bicycle. If the okes were not riding in single file on a public road, they are breaking the law and deserved to be fined.

There are 2 owners of Chainworx, Jono and Jade, if it was Jade that got arrested, then he will be fine in jail, built like a brick sh1thouse and covered in tatoos, i would love to see someone take the piss out of him for wearing lycra, they might end up with a disco shoe shoved where the sun dont shine....

+1 - He looks a mean mofo!

Great shop, too!

As per ctMTBer says above,

yet at the discretion of the officer he can deem a vehicle to be be travelling too slowly if it begins to obstruct the free flow of traffic, it is also dependent on the number of lanes etc.... National routes usually have more than one lane and a posted max speed limit of 120 unless otherwise regulated by a sign stating a lower MAX speed limit for that section of the route. from what I remember I am pretty sure there was a minimum of 60kph on national routes but I stand under correction as things may have changed since I left the force.

Okay - Thanks

my niggie se man se broer se vriend se pa ken die spietskops daar in umslanga... die ou is gearresteer vir Indecent exposure. The lycra was to much for a old tannie with things bulging all over the place ...

Stretch - I often wonder about these minimum speed limits nowadays, too often there is chaos ont the highway as you have one stuffed out overloaded truck doing 14kmh trying to overtake another stuffed out truck doing 12kmh with traffic coming up behind doing 120kmh. Do they still enforce minimum speed limits?

This is where I am going. What law does a backup vehicle break. Minimum speeds to my knowledge only applies to highways (rephrase ... used to apply to highways)

People should not confuse route and types of roads. A route like the N1 for example is a road you take to get from point a to point b. Part of the N1 could be on normal single lane roads and part (or huge parts of it) is on a freeway.

Cyclists are not allowed to cycle on a freeway.

Classic example is the M4 in Durban. Closer to the CBD of Durban it is actually a freeway but futher north it is not and cyclists can cycle there (Although personally I would be to **** scared myself to cycle on that road)

Guest ctMTBer

yeah - the m4 is not a freeway

The N2 is however a freeway and I have seen some cyclists doing stupid group rides on the N2 - especially in and around balitto where they are bust constructing a new overpass

Not the whole of the N2 would be a freeway just like in Cape Town the N1 stops being a freeway around the Koeberg interchange, or just after that....but there is clear sign showing the end off the freeway.

Edited by ctMTBer

Not the whole of the N2 would be a freeway just like in Cape Town the N1 stops being a freeway around the Koeberg interchange, or just after that....but there is clear sign showing the end off the freeway.

yeah i am referring to the bit in and around durban

I agree that past richards bay in the north and somewhere past port shepstone in the south it changes

I'm quite sure that the N2 is a freeway from Port Shepstone until Ricards Bay (+-300km worth.) Beyond these two towns the road goes more rural so its designation may change.

Sigh ... still waiting for a factual account of the incident. Surely the cycling world cant be that small.

Factual account on the hub? Thats like looking for a virgin in a brothel. whistling.gif

cyclist are allowed to cycle on a freeway (part of the Argus route is on a freeway) but require permission.

i have been involved in quite a number of social tours that have taken in high / freeways. i believe that if your group exceeds 10 riders you need to have permission to use the road and have a following vehicle. iow if you ride from PE to CTown on the N2 freeway , you would need to apply to provincial traffic and all the various municipalities along the way. but in saying that i have ridden back from the Knysna Oyster Festival to C Town for the last few years with a group and we have never been stopped.

Sigh.... Let me spin it again......

Freeway, whether "N" route or not, a road divided by a median, traffic enter and exits with off and On ramps and vehicles cross the road with bridges, over or Underpasses.

Expressway, where you have level crossings. i.e. no bridges.

Other roads, normal roads with two way traffic

Cyclists are not allowed by law on freeways. If you get killed or damage property of others you may be liable and your insurance may refuse the claim.

Edited by eccentric1

Guest ctMTBer

cyclist are allowed to cycle on a freeway (part of the Argus route is on a freeway) but require permission.

i have been involved in quite a number of social tours that have taken in high / freeways. i believe that if your group exceeds 10 riders you need to have permission to use the road and have a following vehicle. iow if you ride from PE to CTown on the N2 freeway , you would need to apply to provincial traffic and all the various municipalities along the way. but in saying that i have ridden back from the Knysna Oyster Festival to C Town for the last few years with a group and we have never been stopped.

Obtaining permission is a different story, be default a cyclist is NOT allowed on a freeway....

Obtaining permission is a different story, be default a cyclist is NOT allowed on a freeway....

The major part of the N2 for PE to Slaapstad is a normal road where you can ride without permission. Just NOT on he freeway. Coming down Kowyns is becomes a expressway outside Gordonsbay, closer to Slaapstad the N2 becomes a freeway.