Team FedGroup-Itec throws Evans a lifeline

slabs

They did say that they are open to KE racing with someone else, internationally, but it will be difficult with sponsors etc. I am glad for KE and it is good that he is racing for a true South African team. I think, even though he want to win the Epic, he probably have 2 more years in him, why not start building a proper MTB team. BS said that they will be targeting internationally stage races as well and that can only be good.

Let's watch this space, I think it is exciting. Also, remember that the Epic is theoretically a "small" part of the season, so the MTN Marathon series and other races are also there for exposure.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Urs Huber. All the top guys from Europe will be there. Also keep a eye out for the Swiss bros Flukinger (spelling!)

EDIT: Flueckiger

Lukas Fluekiger and Ralph Naef are riding Epic for BMC

Edited by JanMTB

Wow! I see Absolon also moved to BMC. I am surprized that Merida did not sign Naef (or made bigger effort to sign) for 2013. He is a good guy to have for publicity

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Wow, this really is awesome news for BS, KE and Team Fedgroup. Don't underestimate BS, he has had a rough few years and lots of bad luck. Didn't ride for 2 of he last 3 months before Epic and still rode himself into top 10. He is very strong and a lot wiser now. They really could challenge for top 3 at Epic. Not sure how NM will fit into the picture, maybe James Reid is just what they need. That would make Team Fedgroup almost untouchable on the local scene! I wonder how they got out of the Momsen deal for 2013. On FS for Epic it will make for interesting watching! Big up to Scott Field from Fedgroup for extending their support of SA Mtb.

Thanks DG!

Wow, this really is awesome news for BS, KE and Team Fedgroup. Don't underestimate BS, he has had a rough few years and lots of bad luck. Didn't ride for 2 of he last 3 months before Epic and still rode himself into top 10. He is very strong and a lot wiser now. They really could challenge for top 3 at Epic. Not sure how NM will fit into the picture, maybe James Reid is just what they need. That would make Team Fedgroup almost untouchable on the local scene! I wonder how they got out of the Momsen deal for 2013. On FS for Epic it will make for interesting watching! Big up to Scott Field from Fedgroup for extending their support of SA Mtb.

Thanks DG!

Good point Muddy Mike

FedGroup ITEC is a very strong team for 2013.

Big thumbs up to Scott Field and FedGroup and also Gavin Myer and ITEC. They ( itec) picked up BS for the interim months between the demise of DCM and the start of the FedGroup ITEC Connect contract.

Itec has been a stalwart supporter of BS and his visionary team along with the Field family and FedGroup. Good to see a good guy supported by great sponsors.

The story of how the team was formed and now grown is amazing.

Really good for mountain biking.

They did say that they are open to KE racing with someone else, internationally, but it will be difficult with sponsors etc. I am glad for KE and it is good that he is racing for a true South African team. I think, even though he want to win the Epic, he probably have 2 more years in him, why not start building a proper MTB team. BS said that they will be targeting internationally stage races as well and that can only be good.

Let's watch this space, I think it is exciting. Also, remember that the Epic is theoretically a "small" part of the season, so the MTN Marathon series and other races are also there for exposure.

True re MTN Marathons.

Also some very worthy one day titles to be won. Hill2Hill etc.

KE seemed positive about partnering BS ? Interesting.

Contracting NM as as well BS has built quite a team.

Mature approach on Super Cycling interview very encouraging and bringing new sponsors to MTB. Who is Crusader Logistics ? Sounds like they quite involved. And Kathea ? Heard that name somewhere before.

Will watch this space with interest.

Good point Muddy Mike

FedGroup ITEC is a very strong team for 2013.

Big thumbs up to Scott Field and FedGroup and also Gavin Myer and ITEC. They ( itec) picked up BS for the interim months between the demise of DCM and the start of the FedGroup ITEC Connect contract.

Itec has been a stalwart supporter of BS and his visionary team along with the Field family and FedGroup. Good to see a good guy supported by great sponsors.

The story of how the team was formed and now grown is amazing.

Really good for mountain biking.

100%. BS is a good guy who has had some rough deals in the past. He has really had a vision for his team and now it being realised. Itec and Fedgroup have been a big supporter of BS and Brandon Els is a firm supporter of KE so if this partnership works out they are going to hot next year. Bridgitte and Brad in Mixed, Brandon and Kevin, Neil and ???. There is still one missing piece to this puzzle........

With mountain biking so big here in SA I'm actually surprised that we don't have more top teams/riders. Think about it, we have 10 really top riders and between 3 of them they will win all the big races. (Knox, Evans, Doper, Mcdonald, Stewart, Woolcock, Bell, Combrink, van Rensburg, Rossouw).

Then you have guys like Buys, Ben-Melt, Goustra, Luus, Reid and Beukes that are so close.

We need more sponsors!

Suspect that BS has found out how hard it is to run a bike team (due to personnel issues) and to have someone like KE who will provide his own momentum will be a relief... this from comments he made at B&B.

With mountain biking so big here in SA I'm actually surprised that we don't have more top teams/riders. Think about it, we have 10 really top riders and between 3 of them they will win all the big races. (Knox, Evans, Doper, Mcdonald, Stewart, Woolcock, Bell, Combrink, van Rensburg, Rossouw).

Then you have guys like Buys, Ben-Melt, Goustra, Luus, Reid and Beukes that are so close.

We need more sponsors!

For sure! We need 3 power teams. Maybe its time for RE:CM and Westvaal Columbia to contract more guys.

I think the top Euro guys had a wake up call last year and expect the likes of Naef, the bulls etc to be stronger next year.

As for Kev's partner.. someone said Imagine Kev rides with Nino..

Well damn that will be exciting, If Kev can be at his best form Im sure they will have a chance. Besides I think Nino has a BIG mental factor on Burry etc. However I strongly doubt he will risk the effect this might have on his XC season..And who knows If he can ride further than 60 km anyway ;)

For sure! We need 3 power teams. Maybe its time for RE:CM and Westvaal Columbia to contract more guys.

I think it's coming Mike, with all the exposure and the growth sponsors must see the opportunity. I would like to see a SAB-Miller sponsored team.

I think the top Euro guys had a wake up call last year and expect the likes of Naef, the bulls etc to be stronger next year.

Well damn that will be exciting, If Kev can be at his best form Im sure they will have a chance. Besides I think Nino has a BIG mental factor on Burry etc. However I strongly doubt he will risk the effect this might have on his XC season..And who knows If he can ride further than 60 km anyway wink.png

I think Burry is looking forward to having Nino in the Epic ph34r.png

Heard Reid turned down an offer from BS, could be a rumor

Hope Reid gets a ride somewhere. Maybe at USN with Phil Buys since they both have an XC focus. Or maybe with BMC as RE:CM let Luke Roberts go as he also wants to focus on the XC side of it.

Seems that accomodating the XCM and XC riders in one team is a bit of a challenge.

KE didn't seem overly excited on SS last night.

Well damn that will be exciting, If Kev can be at his best form Im sure they will have a chance. Besides I think Nino has a BIG mental factor on Burry etc. However I strongly doubt he will risk the effect this might have on his XC season..And who knows If he can ride further than 60 km anyway wink.png

I saw a Tweet a while back by Florian Vogel that he's in for the Epic next year. Can't imagine him riding with anyone other than Nino

Naef and KE would be a good combo IMO

Edited by philip.maree