Not to big not too small...just right

cst68

I am keen to give 650B a spin, just because I want to see how it feels.... nothing wrong with that is there wink.png

are you a closet 650B'er? huh.png

tongue.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So there it is .My opinion on the 65OB wheel size. I ride and own 26",650B and 29" .I have ridden all 3 on the same rocky ,sandy ,muddy single track, jeep track,climbs and descents in a very challenging koppie 900m from my house almost daily(sometimes twice).Sometimes I would ride them back to back to really see the differences.

My intention was to inform hubbers of my personal findings and experiences..not to try convince anyone to turn away from their opinion.

SixfiftyB is in early days and we will see what happens.It is said that "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

So for me the winner of the wheel size debate is.....well let me put it this way...none of my bikes are for sale...I have a place and a purpose for each of my bikes...horses for courses...the right tool for the right job.

Edited by cst68

Cheers to everyone who took the time to read this thread.Thanks to all those who gave their views and showed me the folly of my choices.

Everyone have an excellent weekend....Saturday is race dayclap.gif

So there it is .My opinion on the 65OB wheel size. I ride and own 26",650B and 29" .I have ridden all 3 on the same rocky ,sandy ,muddy single track, jeep track,climbs and descents in a very challenging koppie 900m from my house almost daily(sometimes twice).Sometimes I would ride them back to back to really see the differences.

My intention was to inform hubbers of my personal findings and experiences..not to try convince anyone to turn away from their opinion.

SixfiftyB is in early days and we will see what happens.It is said that "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

So for me the winner of the wheel size debate is.....well let me put it this way...none of my bikes are for sale...I have a place and a purpose for each of my bikes...horses for courses...the right tool for the right job.

I agree that each wheel size has its place.

I do have a problem with some people that do these tests to compare them. I don't know which bikes you used so this is not aimed at you. So my problem is people that use different bikes to do the tests.

You have to use the same bike brand and model (with the acception of frame and fork that should be specific for the wheel size). E.g. Go and ride one of Scott's (or any brand) relaxed geomitry alu bikes and then ride one of their top race geomitry carbon bikes(both 29er) and see just how much they differ. See what I am getting at...? No matter what size you opt for, a bike that come in at 8kG will klimb better than one that comes in at 15kg.

I do have a problem with some people that do these tests to compare them. I don't know which bikes you used so this is not aimed at you. So my problem is people that use different bikes to do the tests.

You have to use the same bike brand and model (with the acception of frame and fork that should be specific for the wheel size). E.g. Go and ride one of Scott's (or any brand) relaxed geomitry alu bikes and then ride one of their top race geomitry carbon bikes(both 29er) and see just how much they differ. See what I am getting at...? No matter what size you opt for, a bike that come in at 8kG will klimb better than one that comes in at 15kg.

sorry about the spelling

Cheers to everyone who took the time to read this thread.Thanks to all those who gave their views and showed me the folly of my choices.

Everyone have an excellent weekend....Saturday is race dayclap.gif

kewl man, enjoy your race!

Its an endless debate i still beleive,

XC use your 29'er though many trail capable 29'ers are on the market and the newer versions very maneuverable and versatile.

AM 650 B nice balance between clearing and maneuverability, though will need a couple more years to get the geometry right.

26" small peeps and DH lively playful and well established.

All that said i sold my 26" found it doesn't outperform my 29"er on any trail the western cape has to offer, but that's mostly because i feel the bike fits me like a glove.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read an interesting shootout of 3 full suspension bikes from the same manufacturer...KHS.

khsbicycles.com/PDF/July_MBA_KHS_Article.pdf

Just read an interesting shootout of 3 full suspension bikes from the same manufacturer...KHS.

Not a bad review! One epic fail was tyre choice - they went to great pains to get 3 bikes that were really similar then put 3 different tyres on (one with a different width!). Just a bit silly.

If I were looking for a baggy pants trail bike I'd eliminate the 29er straight off the bat. 26er or 650B for me.

The 650 B / 27.5er may be gaining acceptance ....at this stage early adopters (in South Africa)of the wheelsize are 26er conversions to 27.5er.

This wheel size seems to be gaining impetus,particularly when more riders ride them and can give an opinion based on the ride.

Many prefer to wait and see if/when it gains acceptance while others are happy with what they have...great!

Fewer 26ers are offered in 2013 and many of the big manufacturers have plenty of 29ers to sell out in 2013.

Indications are that in 2014 the likes of the big manufacturers(like Specialized and others) will offer 650B / 27.5ers.

Is this bike not a true 650b? 29 + 26 \ 2 = 27.5. Rolls like a 29er (only on the front though) accelarates like a 26inch (only at the back) so the middle must feel like a 27.5 whistling.gif Trek 69er man those are one funny looking bikes. Thats my sister doing the SS thing at 94.7..... Confused lady, didn't know what wheel size, gear size or tire choice to go for...

By the way nice bike, looks like the conversion went well on that volcan

Is this bike not a true 650b? 29 + 26 2 = 27.5. Rolls like a 29er (only on the front though) accelarates like a 26inch (only at the back) so the middle must feel like a 27.5 whistling.gif Trek 69er man those are one funny looking bikes. Thats my sister doing the SS thing at 94.7..... Confused lady, didn't know what wheel size, gear size or tire choice to go for...

By the way nice bike, looks like the conversion went well on that volcan

In the past I did not grasp the idea of SS.

That changed at a Mountain bike race a few months ago.I did the 40km race and while we were waiting the announcer shouts out that the first rider of the 75km event is coming in.We all look up and one of my mates says the winner is on a 26.

I look and say no its a 29 ridden by a tall chap.Anyway we don't bother further however my mate goes on to take a closer look.

To our surprise the overall winner of the race is on a steel single speed,rigid fork and 34/18 gearing...it was a hilly and tough mtb race.That got me thinking about a whole lot of things....the first was I dropped the 2X 10 setups on my bikes and ride 1X10.Its not SS but I can cope with it.

Next year my goal is to build a dedicated SS with horizontal drop outs and a rigid carbon fork.I would not want to convert my current 29HT.

• 1 year later...

Karl Platt, while commentating on TV during the last stage of Epic said that he can't feel a difference between 26" and 650b when asked about wheel sizes...