Rusty bolts - any proven remedies?

LazyTrailRider

OK, so after having been recovered from the police station, the Demo has been standing around waiting for some love to get it back to tip-top shape.

Boxxer needs a service, seatpost, collar and seat are needed, new derailleur cable is needed. More annoyingly though, it was parked under a leaky roof at the cop shop, so pretty much all the non-alloy bolts now have a nasty tinge of rust (see below).

post-3655-0-73089100-1354559144_thumb.jpg

I'm not keen on replacing everything, seeing as some bolts make up rare and potentially very expensive pivot and linkage hardware.

Who has a trick or two I can try to get rid of the red menace (not gingers in this case)?

Thanks!

Edited by MH for short

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would just undo it. the corrosion looks superficial. that should be a standard size, so easily sourced replacements will be, unless you already know it's a non-standard part. In that case, spesh HQ in stellenbosch must source it for you.

easily sourced replacements will be

Thanks Yoda!

It's almost every single bolt on the bike though, not keen on replacing about 18 pieces of metal. I was hoping I could take it all off, dip it in a pungent conconction, and let it do the work for me...

Edited by MH for short

You could dab Rusist on the heads, etc - I don't know that I'd do it on the threads, but you can experiment on less expensive bolts. It'll turn them black though. Could look quite good actually, given your colours.

Don't get it on your paintwork!

Edited by LeTurbo

post-16512-0-25089600-1354560622.jpgSPOOKPISS!!

the normal concoctions like Q20 / WD40, or any such thing?

Edited by robox

So, how do you use the Coke? Leave the rusty bits in it? For how long? Rub it, scrub it? Coke sero better for skinny XC bikes? Original coke for Martins downhill bike? Details sorely needed!