Buying New vs Building vs Second Hand

Maldino

Budget is R30k

Options on new:

Cannondale Flash Carbon 3

Build:

This sounds dounting and not sure if its worth while?

Second Hand:

There was a Momsen SL929 fully spec beaut that was worth R47 500 5 months old that went for R30k

So my question is which is the best option, do you go brand spanking new? Build a bike up from scratch to your own desired spec? Or look for a good deal in the classifieds as MTB's hold no good resale value and you could pick up a R50k excellent condition bike for 30?

Advise please....

Thanks guys

Build only if you know how....

Second hand is pretty good if the right buy comes along...but you might buy something thats got issues.

New, you have sales recourse but get less for your bucks.

The question should be...which bike do you want?

If its in your budget new,...thats what you do.

If not....second hand.

With cwc's SID for R3700, racing ralph for R450 and easybike's brake special to come along with evo bike's Crest rims for R720 or something I would highly consider building rather than buying.

Building is not only more fun but you appreciate you bike much more and has more sentimental value. At least for me...

You dont typically need experience to build a bike from scratch.

Just buy the parts and your LBS will put it together for R350 odd.

Take care in the parts you're buying... you dont want to buy parts that dont fit etc.

Edited by robertcrown

If you know what you are doing then build... there again is a good way to learn of what you do not know, but there will be errors along the way!!

Building means you can have a custom bike to your specification with parts that you want. Frame, groupset, wheels etc.

Buying, you get what you are given whether off the shelf new or used. It may be what you want and in your budget and if new, then there is a warranty.

There is also only one way how to figure out how to build up a bike and that is to build up a bike.

The only thing standard about my 4 bikes is the wheel size. I choose to build as each and every part is to my standard and wants.

Sorry who are CWC?

Haibo! Got R30k to spend and you don't know who CWC is?... ;)

I would build, no, wait, I do build. It's not for everyone though. Whatever you choose - enjoy the new ride.

Personally I have done all three,,,,, new ,rebuild ,second hand I think if you lucky with a willing seller,ie someone who wants to dump a bike at a fraction of the price this works,if you know people who know people to do a build, that also works, or if you,and your local bike shop are big friends , ie you spend stupid money with them and you are really good friends than that also works,so find out which one you fall into and go that way.

If you know what you want ,good used is great .Have bought 3 used bikes on the hub .Saved about 25k and got very good deals .I also saw the momsen add .Great deal if that is what you want and can use all the parts .You dont want to get stuck with unwanted parts .There are some very good deals on new bikes .For 30 35k you can buy a very good DS .Giant anthem x 29er for example

Buying second hand is probably the most cost effective option..although you may not get exactly what you want