difference between XT/XTR/LX

Chrisel

Hi, I am looking for new brakes, but I don't really know the difference between the Shimano XT/ XTR or Shimano LX??

My opinion...

XTR - Top class, but not really worth the extra money when XT are more than capable of producing good stopping power. If money is not an issue - go for them -they look great!

XT - Hands down winner - They are not much heavier than XTR and cost a lot less.

SLX - Nothing wrong at all.

Lx cheapest, xt next xtr most expensive, and considered the best, xt is widely used cause it is well priced and very reliable, to me the difference between xt and xtr does not sustify the difference in price . Xt very good brakes, nice solid feel, and bullet proof

LX is redundant now. Replaced by SLX. These are hardly entry level as some have said. Below these are Deore and then Alivio equivalent below these.

Don't bother with the Alivios as you will end up upgraded very soon if you are riding a fair amount.

2013 Deores are great and have been getting some good write ups. They're similar in weight to new SLX & XT.

XTR in my opinion is a waste for all but the pros. They're high(er) maintenance brakes but of course do come with the best performance.

My 2c... There's some excellent deals on M675 SLX brakes at the moment and even The M666 models if you can still find them. Chaps have already suggested some places to find good deals. Also try evobikes.co.za

Edited by Ryanpmb

SLX is all you need. If you get a good deal on XT then consider, but SLX will do everything very well

Edited by shaper

Thanks for all your help!! Overall it seems like XT is the way to go. I'll check all the sites and stores and see for what I can get the best deal :)

Umm to carry this on.

What is the difference between SLX, XT, and XTR?

Exactly what goes into the price difference ? Perhaps this marketing mumbo jumbo, that is is more superior than the other?

Surely SLX stops a bike just the same as XTR ?

What is the difference between SLX, XT, and XTR?

Weight and a huge price difference

XT has forged levers, SLX does not. XT also adds free stroke adjustment.

I ride XT with 180mm rotors and they stop on a dime.

XTs are about 530g per set. SLX around 600g.

Give your bike a good wash before you ride it and you'll make up the difference...

Technical diagrams between these two in particular are pretty much the same.

Weight and a huge price difference

XT has forged levers, SLX does not. XT also adds free stroke adjustment.

I ride XT with 180mm rotors and they stop on a dime.

no offense pista, but as with other things, I can buy (excuse the pun) into components weighing less, hence more engineering required, hence cost more. But the rest just seems to be marketting gobledeegook that is being bought into (based on points so far in the thread). A quick google with the key words "XT free stroke adjustment" shows a whole lotta people have no clue what it is about - and a whole lot of people do not know what they are doing (ok so possibly two seperate ideas). This does still not tell me why one is better than the other. Juicy 3's work just as well as my juicy 7's which work just as well as my alivios, so why cost more ?