Cyclists are rude!

Clinton1

When I train, I'm in my bubble. This is most days.

When I meet people I know on the road, I will greet.

Some days I greet with a helmet nod or lil wave.

Some days I listen to chilled music and just look out for broken glass, never mind people.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post, Simon, thanks for that. A lot of what you mention makes sense and I alluded to a few of them in the first post. I suppose being a runner of many years myself I just find the difference quite startling and rather sad. It is not going to stop me from riding, and it sure won't stop me from greeting as, unlike many others on this forum, I tend to be a happy, pleasant fellow biggrin.png

Hahahaha! You're welcome. If you're a runner, you'll totally appreciate what I'm trying to say. It's not a comment or comparison about how runners are "better" that cyclists, nor is it about which discipline of cycling is better/friendlier. Some things just are what they are and our experience thereof makes us question why that may be. Glad to hear you're not put off. (Even by turd comments by Nishiki...obviously he's a C that rhymes with "bunt").

Hahahaha! You're welcome. If you're a runner, you'll totally appreciate what I'm trying to say. It's not a comment or comparison about how runners are "better" that cyclists, nor is it about which discipline of cycling is better/friendlier. Some things just are what they are and our experience thereof makes us question why that may be. Glad to hear you're not put off. (Even by turd comments by Nishiki...obviously he's a C that rhymes with "bunt").

Twit number 2

You still queer for Big Ears?

I dont wave thats unless I know you. I will acknowledge other cylists with a nod.

Clint, I'm unsure of how to break the bad news to you, so I'll just give it to you straight: It is only YOU that that get ignored! ALL of us are greeted, ALL of the time, in the most friendly manner, even by roadies, even by beautiful girls and even by tough guys training for the Epic. whistling.gif (I hope someone greets you for Christmas!wink.png )

I'm with DJR , maybe people dont want to greet you.

Everyone greets me - on the road and mtb.

Maybe try shouting MORNING/MORE real loud next time.

Make them feel uncomfortable and they'll most likely say howzit.

see you next tuesday.

you mean 'see you next tuesday'

A controversial title no doubt. Possibly a gross generalisation. But is there any truth in it?

I usually ride at irregular times and most of the time off road on single track. As a result I very rarely come in contact with other riders while out there. This morning was different to the norm. I hit the road at 5am for a ride.

I tend to be very cheery when I am out riding or running and greet everyone I see or pass. This morning I passed pedestrians, some out strolling, some on their way to work. I passed a number of joggers. And I passed a number of cyclists.

Without fail the joggers returned my greeting with a cheerful smile. A number of them getting their greeting in first before I had a chance to get mine in. This did not surprise me as over many years of jogging I have always found fellow joggers to be cheerful.

A very large number of pedestrians returned my greeting. Those that did not would at least glance in my direction or give me a smile.

Not one single cyclist returned my greeting! The majority not even acknowledging my existence. Actually, I lie, the one chap seemingly reluctantly did so as we briefly stopped at the same robot together.

So I need to ask, is this normal behaviour for cyclists? And if so, why? Does the relative expense of the equipment needed to cycle mean that most cyclists are snobs who feel they are above being friendly to strangers? Or is there some other reason? Perhaps the faster speed than the others means some need to concentrate real hard on what they are doing.

Maybe it is the .I voted for Zuma ANC shirt that you were wearing

Rode through Kuils River, Bottelary, Stellenbosch, Somerset West this morning. Greeted pretty much all the other cyclists. About 60% returned the greeting (90% of those going the same way). Didn't notice a difference between roadies and MTBers. It's normally higher, but drops off when there are lot of other cyclists on the road, big bunches, or a lot of people have dusted off their bikes to start training for the Argus (all true today). When I was in Durban, I found they generally didn't greet, on or off road, so I stopped doing it too.

Of course we cyclists are rude, that's why it is not really a team sport. We cycle do get away from people,and mtb'ers to get away from civilization as a whole. I love this sport!

sometimes people look at me like im a crazy dumb-ass when i greet them on my bike.

and then sometimes i feel like a crazy dumb-ass, cause i dont even know them.

but it doesnt hurt.