Cyclists are rude!

Clinton1

Of course we cyclists are rude, that's why it is not really a team sport. We cycle do get away from people,and mtb'ers to get away from civilization as a whole. I love this sport!

Yip!

:-D

Edited by ' Dale

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I expect many others to greet me, it's attention seeking.

Especially if I expect it from total strangers.

:-O

I only greet people who enter my personal space of which the size differ due to enviroment. If they don't greetback I pressume they have a $&@)ed day or life and let it be.

Wow, such a macho man, nishiki. Saying things like that must make you feel so awesome about yourself.

I suppose comments like these do explain my perception that many cyclists are rude. There are a lot on here who seem to prove that point. This wonderful chap being one of them.

who cares if you think I'm rude? So what? I certainly could care less. I'm fine in my skin pal. Feel free to think or say what you like, just don't expect me to greet you if we pass each other, although I don't ride jeep tracks that much so it's unlikely.

Clint, you should realize that you are being self righteous expecting people to care when you pass. Seriously now, this topic gets debated to death on here. It's lame.

And the other chappie who called me a rather lovely name for a ladies flower, it's all good. When it's needed I'll be the first to offer you my spare tube, or chain link. I'll be the first to ask if you are ok. But don't spoil it all by wanting smiles from everybody. My 1 year old does that and I expect it. Grow up rather.

And the other chappie who called me a rather lovely name for a ladies flower,

Someone called you Blossom?

Oh, dear. That's just not cool.

Bike time is me time.

It's the best time even when I'm suffering.

I do my best thinking when I'm on the bike.

If you greet me and I don't acknowledge you it's because I did not see you. Don't feel offended by it.

Bike time is me time.

It's the best time even when I'm suffering.

I do my best thinking when I'm on the bike.

If you greet me and I don't acknowledge you it's because I did not see you. Don't feel offended by it.

Clearly you should ride more then

Edited by petatodd

So much aggression.... and we've only made 4 pages in 2 days. Must be a LOT of people on holiday with no network reception....

Edited by Grebel

Guest ctMTBer

Do you expect everyone who also drives a car to great you?

Do you great every other pedestrian I the city ?

Get over it.

Does anyone ever make a post like this on the 4x4 forums? Or the superbike forums?

If you greet, great! If you dont, so what?

I live in a small town and get tennis elbow from greeting everyone I see on the way to Spar or the Post Office.

But I greet them because I know them, not because I dont and they happen to be driving a car.

Isn't this exactly how (almost)every (Clint)thread has played out? A comment, a few shots and then the inevitable detailed explanation..

Check,

1.. A summary; "I wasn't saying that, but rather saying this..."

I was hardly bitching about them not greeting me back but rather making an observation. If discussions and observations relating to cycling are banned on this forum then please accept my apology.

I also never turned it into a road cyclist vs MTBers discussion, others did. I merely pointed out my normal riding habits as these explained why I have not seen many other cyclists while out riding before today.Today was an exception and the reaction, or lack of it, from fellow cyclists was enough for me to feel it was worth asking if it was the norm.

Some are accurately stating that you get rude people in all walks of life but as mentioned in the OP I came across a decent sample of pedestrians, joggers and cyclists this morning and, based on this sample, one group was way out as regards the norm.

And for the person that asked, no I do not greet every car that drives past for a a fairly obvious reason, they usually approach me from behind at a great speed and are usually gone before I can raise me hand. I did offer speed as an excuse for cyclists but then again I passed many of them, hence was going faster, and managed a greeting. If a vehicle toots and waves though, as does happen, I am happy to reciprocate.

2.. You call me names? I'll put you straight with a ..

Wow, such a macho man, nishiki. Saying things like that must make you feel so awesome about yourself.

I suppose comments like these do explain my perception that many cyclists are rude. There are a lot on here who seem to prove that point. This wonderful chap being one of them.

3.. Someone agrees! You get a smiley.. all you others don't!

Great post, Simon, thanks for that. A lot of what you mention makes sense and I alluded to a few of them in the first post. I suppose being a runner of many years myself I just find the difference quite startling and rather sad. It is not going to stop me from riding, and it sure won't stop me from greeting as, unlike many others on this forum, I tend to be a happy, pleasant fellow biggrin.png

Hmm page 2, more Clint bashing after the break??

Edit: Yes

Edited by Pain or Shine

A controversial title no doubt. Possibly a gross generalisation. But is there any truth in it?

I usually ride at irregular times and most of the time off road on single track. As a result I very rarely come in contact with other riders while out there. This morning was different to the norm. I hit the road at 5am for a ride.

I tend to be very cheery when I am out riding or running and greet everyone I see or pass. This morning I passed pedestrians, some out strolling, some on their way to work. I passed a number of joggers. And I passed a number of cyclists.

Without fail the joggers returned my greeting with a cheerful smile. A number of them getting their greeting in first before I had a chance to get mine in. This did not surprise me as over many years of jogging I have always found fellow joggers to be cheerful.

A very large number of pedestrians returned my greeting. Those that did not would at least glance in my direction or give me a smile.

Not one single cyclist returned my greeting! The majority not even acknowledging my existence. Actually, I lie, the one chap seemingly reluctantly did so as we briefly stopped at the same robot together.

So I need to ask, is this normal behaviour for cyclists? And if so, why? Does the relative expense of the equipment needed to cycle mean that most cyclists are snobs who feel they are above being friendly to strangers? Or is there some other reason? Perhaps the faster speed than the others means some need to concentrate real hard on what they are doing.

Twit