XT vs XTR Brakes

Trivium

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaco do you know how the Formula Rx brakes are?

Sorry Bud! No idea. The Formula R1 Race is my 1st formula breaks. Im keen to try their shocks at some stage as well

Hi there

check your email, send the pdf.

G

After riding a friends bike that has 2012 shimano XT Brakes, I decided that it is time to change my Juicy Ultimates and the fact that bleeding is easier on the shimano's is a bonus but now the main question, XT or XTR.

I see on CWS the XTR is 110% braking power http://www.cwcycles....5-disc-brakeset

Shimano's web page claim that XT is 125% braking power

http://www.shimano.c...-L.-type-..html

For the extra 140g I would rather go for the brakes that stop better. Is this right or do the XTR race or Trail also have the 125% braking power. Has anyone dealt with this? If you have please advise me on which to go for.

I would like to save some weight as I am trying to get the bike to under 9kg by end of March but would rather have the extra weight to stop it better.

Many Thanks,

T

Jaco do you know how the Formula Rx brakes are?

Little heavier, a tad less finicky to set up, but stopping power is very good and coping with heat build up is class best. You won't regret buying any Formula brake set. Shimano is only just catching up to where Formula was in 2009.

SLX over XT over XTR.

Formula is just crazy to set up and very fussy to ride

I have Hope on both my rigs - more guts than talent -my brakes are tools, not ornamental bling.

Get brakes that stop everytime.

Ask Kevin Evans what happens when you run the lightest brakes on the market.

Hi there

check your email, send the pdf.

G

Thank you very much for the PDF. Read it like 3 times already.

These are my experiences so please don't flame ;)

I've had endless k@k with Formulas. In particular the RX models. Setup issues, constant drag, NO modulation, heating issues.

I've since got rid of all my Formulas and only run Shimano. Mix of SLX & XT sets.

I'm keen to try Hopes to see what the fuss is about.

My 2c - cant go wrong with Shimano SLX or XT. I wouldn't waste the extra cash for XTR.

I have been observing this and many other forums about brakes with interest. I have been cycling for ages and with my current experience on hydraulic disk brakes, I am convinced we are barking up the wrong tree. There are many references on the internet about brake performance and not one of them gives any information worth a damn. They explain about the intricate testing procedures etc., but they fail at the very obvious. They measure the brand. I am more interested in the physics because it is straight forward numbers without any assumptions. To me the most obvious is the equation (force = pressure x area). First action would be to differentiate between the caliper and the master cylinder in the lever. If the tester has the exact surface area of a brakepad minus the cutouts in the rotor and he applies an exact known pressure to the caliper, he has force. This force can be transferred to a standardized system to determine the actual stopping and holding power of the caliper. When that is done he simply has to test the output pressure of the master cylinder at the lever and he will have a very good idea of the system’s potential performance. Now one can factor in weight and price to get a value representing performance and value for money. Considering that hydraulic fluid is only the conductor of power and therefore heavier than the simple cable operated lever calipers I will find it very hard to believe there is motivation to use hydraulic brakes when compared to mechanical levered brakes other than the “bling” factor. It may sound strange, but remember, pad design can change, pad material can change and many guys change the rotors out. It is often these guys who express their preferences based on their own personal needs. When a question is asked like this topic is, a good answer will give you the numbers to back your sentiment. Branding is not a performance measurement.

For the record, I have Alivio and I hate them! I had Shimano in the past and I hated them too. I think the hydraulic design is flawed in in complex rather than simple design.

Ryan

have a chat with Delilah, she got a set of SLX's, just replaced them with XT's, and final verdict: XT's are def better,

G

These are my experiences so please don't flame wink.png

I've had endless k@k with Formulas. In particular the RX models. Setup issues, constant drag, NO modulation, heating issues.

I've since got rid of all my Formulas and only run Shimano. Mix of SLX & XT sets.

I'm keen to try Hopes to see what the fuss is about.

My 2c - cant go wrong with Shimano SLX or XT. I wouldn't waste the extra cash for XTR.

Wow mr Klopper that is a very nice read and yes on my superbike all that makes a lot of sense however my top speed ever on a mtb was 91kmph and those years I still had v-brakes . So do I need 2 hands to pull my brakes to slow down or will a finger do ? Must I adjust everything everytime I remove a wheel or replace pads ? All basic stuff that most of us fun riders want

Ryan

have a chat with Delilah, she got a set of SLX's, just replaced them with XT's, and final verdict: XT's are def better,

G

Must say I disagree. The mechanics are the same, unless you comparing differing year models.

My SLXs are great and haven't given me any trouble.

For the weight difference, which is really the difference between the two it's not worth the extra cost.

exact details she will have.

for now me = happy, was thinking of SLX666 or 675 on the Merida and to move my 785's to the new build, but then got a great deal on group set so leaving the 785's on the Merida and putting new 785's on the build.

(best advise I got from TheV, invest in 785's and haven't looked back or regretted it once)

G

Must say I disagree. The mechanics are the same, unless you comparing differing year models.

My SLXs are great and haven't given me any trouble.

For the weight difference, which is really the difference between the two it's not worth the extra cost.

exact details she will have.

for now me = happy, was thinking of SLX666 or 675 on the Merida and to move my 785's to the new build, but then got a great deal on group set so leaving the 785's on the Merida and putting new 785's on the build.

(best advise I got from TheV, invest in 785's and haven't looked back or regretted it once)

G

Cool