Tokai tree felling: Snake trails

(Deon)

Guest Omega Man

I know it's utopian. Buy the trees from whomever holds the concession at their after costs price and leave them where they are.

It's more complicated than that. What I've been told is the fynbos has a 100 year seed lifespan so the trees need to go now if that land is to have any chance of having fynbos again.

Something like that. I mostly stop listening when people talk environment cos it's usually laced with self righteous hypocrisy.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna have to change the name to Tokai Grassland mountain bike park. Although it'll be desert for a while, remember how long it took for the lower slopes to look decent.

So how long before they fell the dh track?

It's more complicated than that. What I've been told is the fynbos has a 100 year seed lifespan so the trees need to go now if that land is to have any chance of having fynbos again.

Something like that. I mostly stop listening when people talk environment cos it's usually laced with self righteous hypocrisy.

Yeah well,pleased you don't make the decisions.

Pine,wattle port jackson must all go

Love the "100 year plan". What about all the alien blue gums above Fresnaye and Clifton, or the pines and other alien species on the slopes of Table Mountain and at Rhodes Memorial?

Those could have been culled a long time ago.

Agree with you on the hypocrisy.

What's wrong with a few shady pines? I am sure the other user groups would prefer to have a bit of shade to walk their dogs or ride their horses too.

Edited by kandui

I've just forked out a bit over R1000 bucks for activity cards for myself and my two boys to ride in Tokai and the first thing I saw when I got online was that half the single tracks are disappearing under the chainsaws and Bobcat wheels. Soon the place will look like Delville wood after the battle of the Somme and that always make me sad. The two top snake trails were the jewel of the Tokai single track. I understand that the pines were planted to be harvested and have no issue with that. I just hate to think of all the hard work we (and especially Pain or Shine) have put into those trails in the last year, not knowing that this was waiting around the corner. Hopefully we can use this to get access to the rest of Tokai where there are still trees because the number of riders are swelling and much more singletrack is needed urgently. I truly hope SANParks will understand this and come to the party. What can be done to speed the EIA process up and get new trails sooner rather than later?

Guest Omega Man

Yeah well,pleased you don't make the decisions.

Pine,wattle port jackson must all go

Yeah. Not looking to start a fight. I agree on the alien vegetation.

The bit that gets my goat is the hypocrisy of Sanparks. Chapmans peak, Table mountain.

Guest Omega Man

I truly hope SANParks will understand this and come to the party.

Don't hold your breath.

Yeah. Not looking to start a fight. I agree on the alien vegetation.

The bit that gets my goat is the hypocrisy of Sanparks. Chapmans peak, Table mountain.

It is unfortunate,but no matter how romantic the pines are they have stuffed up the soil and it will take years to rehabilitate.

It is very interesting how the whole cycle of fynbos works....which includes fire btw.But that is a subject for another day

We will all have to wear suncream :-)

Guest Omega Man

Love the "100 year plan".

No no. Aparently the fynbos seeds can only survive +-100 years without germinating. There's been trees on that land for 110 years so they need to go. That's kind of what I've gleamed from Deon.

Wouldn't it be rad tho if the following happened?

1. Listers get's turned into a Mountain bikers hang out. That's such a wasted space at the moment. I'd love to smash a beer or coffee with my mates after a ride.

2. A little bike shop doing emergency repairs and selling smalls like tires and other bitty items.

3. Some NEW trails got built. (Not the same old tired ones that have been there since I can remember)

No no. Aparently the fynbos seeds can only survive +-100 years without germinating. There's been trees on that land for 110 years so they need to go. That's kind of what I've gleamed from Deon.

Wouldn't it be rad tho if the following happened?

1. Listers get's turned into a Mountain bikers hang out. That's such a wasted space at the moment. I'd love to smash a beer or coffee with my mates after a ride.

2. A little bike shop doing emergency repairs and selling smalls like tires and other bitty items.

3. Some NEW trails got built. (Not the same old tired ones that have been there since I can remember)

Yeah baby!clap.gif

Guest Omega Man

It is unfortunate,but no matter how romantic the pines are they have stuffed up the soil and it will take years to rehabilitate.

It is very interesting how the whole cycle of fynbos works....which includes fire btw.But that is a subject for another day

We will all have to wear suncream :-)

Ja. and get a pugsley cos it's gonna get pretty damned sandy.

Edited by Omega Man

With those bits of Single Track out of commission for the time being, how much XC and AM Single Track do we actually have available in the whole Table Mountain Park? A km, maybe less?

I think we have a valid argument for more track.

I am looking at the fire breaks as possible areas for development,especially along Signal Hill and above De Waal Drive. They are kept deliberately free of vegetation, so what could some single track destroy?

Guest Omega Man

I was there this morning.......not knowing that those "snakes" would be my last , so sad.

Yeah. Damn. I had this super sick line on the first snakey before you hit that left hander with the fallen log in the middle of it. There's a rock jump just before it and i love to hit the rock and do like a mini transfer. I land with my wheels in between 2 rocks and then you smash into the corner. Super fun. My Reign loves those trails.

Edited by Omega Man

I only now started to "master" the jumps and use to my flow........ Guess we will be spending more time at jonkers....