Archery.

Neg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 12 yo son took a liking to archery after I sponsored him and a few mates to a "give it a go" program at Marks Park archery club late last year.

All of them decided to carry on with it. Not sure how much the other parents appreciate forking out money for recurve bows, arrows, accessories & memberships. The boys love it though!

Although... 12 carbon arrows at R850.... and these are the cheapies apparently. Eish :(

My niece who was never very sporty when at school and afterwards, has taken up archery.It turns out the she is extremely good at it and won silver at a recent WP event

My dear brother who passed away some time ago would be extremely proud of her

Archery (even just for fun)..is quite a cool sport.

@Wayne, your kids are still too young to appreciate it....wait till they are older...I'm sure they will join you - it soemthing a dad & lad can do together!! (but, by then the technology would have advanced ...so sell now - buy again later)

Mine are really getting hooked...it's starting to interfer with my cyccling...(my lad does not like cycling!!)

@Wayne, your kids are still too young to appreciate it....wait till they are older...I'm sure they will join you - it soemthing a dad & lad can do together!! (but, by then the technology would have advanced ...so sell now - buy again later)

Mine are really getting hooked...it's starting to interfer with my cyccling...(my lad does not like cycling!!)

There is nothing like stalking a buck with your son with you, we have had great times with the bow.

My 12 yo son took a liking to archery after I sponsored him and a few mates to a "give it a go" program at Marks Park archery club late last year.

All of them decided to carry on with it. Not sure how much the other parents appreciate forking out money for recurve bows, arrows, accessories & memberships. The boys love it though!

Although... 12 carbon arrows at R850.... and these are the cheapies apparently. Eish :(

My laaitie also makes me bankrot. He has a compound bow, a bamboo backed longbow and a recurve.. He was built a few deadly pvc bows as well.

(but, by then the technology would have advanced ...so sell now - buy again later)

I bought myself the Mathews Switchback (pic below) back in 2005, then it was theeee bow to have. I still feel there is no real reason to upgrade to a new model. The newer models are lighter, maybe a bit faster etc but I dont think its worth the R9000 to upgrade.

post-7672-0-38743700-1391590580_thumb.png

Edited by koukie

Where do you shoot, Stellenbosch airfield?

I used to shoot competitively as a youth in UK.

Outdoor Olympic distances with a recurve bow, a take down Yamaha with all the dampers etc.

I forget the draw length, but i remember it was a 40lb pull.

I also did some traditionalist shooting at country fairs and exhibitions. Proper longbows with an 80lb pull shooting an oak arrow that weighed about 200g. Impossible to hold, just aim, draw, release. We used to shoot at 'bunts', basically a round tree stump set flat into the ground at about 100 yards.

Incredible to think that the medieval archers would pull 100 - 120 lbs and be able to have 3 arrows in the air before the first one hit.

It's a great sport, i'd recommend anyone to give it a try.

Where do you shoot, Stellenbosch airfield?

Yes, on and off..haven't joined yet...still paying the R50 per weekend.

I'm mostly shooting in my backyard...I build a nice big butt and can get a good 30m distance for target...so far so good....

I also agree witht e age of bow...Mine is also 2nd hand (bought it fro Hubber nogaal) ...It serves me perfectly and i'll only upgrade later when the game starts to outrun my arrows!! :clap: :clap:

Still preparing for the first hunt....I told my son, he need to shoot more bulle eyes that other shots...then he's ready for a buck!

Edited by Cassie

Yes, on and off..haven't joined yet...still paying the R50 per weekend.

I'm mostly shooting in my backyard...I build a nice big butt and can get a good 30m distance for target...so far so good....

I also agree witht e age of bow...Mine is also 2nd hand (bought it fro Hubber nogaal) ...It serves me perfectly and i'll only upgrade later when the game starts to outrun my arrows!! :clap: :clap:

Still preparing for the first hunt....I told my son, he need to shoot more bulle eyes that other shots...then he's ready for a buck!

Cool man, there is nothing like the feeling when your first buck comes to the hide. Person needs to relex. Draw and let down if need be, When you ready laat waai. Cant wait for the pic!

Thats not how you catch a fish buddy... unimpressed

I could not agree more.This is the acceptable way!!

These fish are PESTS, even Rand water, on there patrols catch them and destroy them, the breed worse than rabbits and kill all smaller fish, we have shot some of them up to 1m long, they groy extremely quickly and destroy everything.... they come from india!!! like there stupid bird buddies the indian mynas, pests...

When we go out we have a fishing licence so all is legit, we dont eat the fish, but give it to the locals at the boat house, and they clean the boat...

• 6 years later...

Getting stronger with my new archery hobby. 

Plan is to get deadly accurate with my Browning Nomad recurve 45#, 60". 

Will start with hunting Snowshoe rabbits and then White tail deer. 

It would also be great to bag my first turkey for thanksgiving 2021.