Archery.

Neg

I saw someone dry fire a bow once. I nearly shat myself, and it wasn't even my bow!

what happens to the bow when you dry fire it and can an expert see the 'damage' on inspection afterwards?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what happens to the bow when you dry fire it and can an expert see the 'damage' on inspection afterwards?

worst case the limbs can snap off completely. The one that I saw resulted in the snare being damaged badly and the limbs had small cracks near where it attaches to the rest of the bow. In this case the limbs and snare had to be replaced.

Been shooting for few year now. Compund PSE Nova. Got a home made target that I shoot occasionally. Went to the Marks Park archery club when I started out. Keen on going hunting one day when I some cash to spare.

Hmmm...why would one bow not work for both target and hunting?

I notice they are grouped into categories.

http://www.iwarehous...d=1154&Itemid=1

Noob question...i know.

It could, a target bow is just much lighter, it also doest offer as high draw weight as a hunting bow. Certain farmers will have an issue with somebody hunting with a target bow. I often go to the range with my hunting bow.

My son and I started this amazing hobby/sport 2 years ago. He was 12 at the time, so I bought a take down Recurve (Ragim Wildcat) - at 28 lb - to get him into the sport. What a nice bow!!

Then I saw a longbow - at 60 lb - at the local shop a few months after that I just HAD to buy.

To complete the collection I bought my son a Mission Craze which is currently set at 50 lb. Nice bow that is quite flexible for different set-ups/strengths.

We only shoot as a hobby,so don't get to the range enough.thumbdown.gif

I have this thing for the Recurve - especially after the Olympics. Not is the same league as those bows, but a nice challenge to shoot with only the anchor pt and front pin to aim with.

The longbow is just wild - 100% instictive shooting and at 60lb, it is really instinctive - kinda aim and let fly. The bow is obviously difficult draw.

Mission craze is an excellent bow

SA usually does well in the worlds, i competed in 3 world champ events, i took Gold in the UK in 1994. In my division. That year SA came home with 7 golds! and a few silvers and bronze. 13 medals in total if i remember correctly.

What does that actually mean? See in London this year we only sent a lady who fell out in round of 64. And 8/12 medals went to the far east countries. It does seem like fun, but trying to compete at olympic level must require ridiculous amounts of training...and not the most exciting of training i guess either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics#Archery

I used to shoot a traditional recurve bow, (no sights), all accessories and arrows were self made.

I stopped because of a serious shoulder injury.

I now shoot traditional black powder firearms, most accessories are also self made.

Both activities are highly addictive and satisfying.

The black powder shooters are an extremely friendly and helpful crowd.

Both activities can become very expensive though, the price of black powder has gone through the roof,and one uses a lot of it.

If you can, just do it, you WILL enjoy it.

What does that actually mean? See in London this year we only sent a lady who fell out in round of 64. And 8/12 medals went to the far east countries. It does seem like fun, but trying to compete at olympic level must require ridiculous amounts of training...and not the most exciting of training i guess either.

http://en.wikipedia....lympics#Archery

This is what is called target archery. we do not have as many world class re-curve archers in SA, but the competitions i used to do is called Field Archery witch in voles walking about shooting targets as close as 10feet to 80 yards. exactly like playing golf, but with a bow and arrow. smile.png smile.png

Edited by Neg

It could, a target bow is just much lighter, it also doest offer as high draw weight as a hunting bow. Certain farmers will have an issue with somebody hunting with a target bow. I often go to the range with my hunting bow.

Actually no, the target bow is (should be) heavier. well, a proper target set up that is. the sights are bigger and heavier, and the stabilizer is usually about 800mm-1meter long. Also the heavier the bow the more stable it is and the more accurate it is.... like getting your legs strong for cycling, one builds up arm strength to hold steady... :)

I had my first bow string slap against my forearm....jissie eina. ..

Luckily my arms are tattooed so I couldn't see the swelling, but I could feel it.

Setup my target at 30 metres in the garden. Pumping arrows into it.

Lekker fun.

They have come a long way with the string technology, when i started i had a bow that used plastic wrapped cables, it snapped on me once and whipped a chunk out of my arm... 17 stitches later and still scared.

i now make my own strings as i know exactly what goes into them (material) and what knots were used. i Also used a better quality material and this allows me to make say and 12 strand string as apposed to a 18 strand, which i believe is the industry standard. An 18 strand vs 12 strand does slow the string down and by using a thinner string, you gain more feet per second, as much as 15fps. this intern allows you to use less draw weight and is more comfortable to shoot.

I had my first bow string slap against my forearm....jissie eina. ..

Luckily my arms are tattooed so I couldn't see the swelling, but I could feel it.

Setup my target at 30 metres in the garden. Pumping arrows into it.

Lekker fun.

Just don't let one arrow slip over the yard fence!!eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

Hate to see the neighbour with an arrow in his back door...

PS: just bought my laaitie a paintball marker....not long, then I think he would like to get into bow shooting...i'll encourage it!!

Enjoying watching indoor target shooting on youtoob.

Anyone into this?

Wayne, if you are ever in Midrand, pull in at our shooting range, we have a massive indoor range and some field Butts outside, Its my uncles range but im considering getting archery off the ground here again.