Cleated or Uncleated

Creme' Boulle'

Some great info here. It's all down to personal preference I guess. Before you decide, maybe ask the guys who ride flats to show you the scars on their shins first. That might help you decide.... Welcome back.

As for me personally, I ride flats (a Nukeproof long pinned pedal, and FiveTen combo to be specific). I feel plenty of control. I have also never slipped a pedal and raked my shin while wearing FiveTens (touch wood).

...and ask all those who ride cleated to show you their emotional scars from being mocked as they fell over in the parkinglot :P :lol:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and ask all those who ride cleated to show you their emotional scars from being mocked as they fell over in the parkinglot :P :lol:

It only really scars if you are on a road bike and wearing white stretchy pant ;)

i ride with cleats but have some Shimano shoes that have a bit of grip to them and some flexibility. am thinking of going to flats though as i would prefer a shoe I can also do some walking and exploring in. Not every ride is about speed and distance.

I decided to go without cleats on my ss, I mainly use it for commute, it's not the same, after about two weeks went back to cleats, I found that you loose power transfer,control,and simple comfort. The clipping in and unclipping well that just takes time, getting over tough obstacles well that just takes momentum and courage( with a couple of falls ) but each to there own, that's why we all different imagine how boring it would be if we were all lemmings

Cleats helped me to learn proper foot placement on the pedal and also to ride rougher sections without getting my feet off the pedals, so in a way I can see them as automatic vs manual as cptmayhem said. I ride mostly xc stuff, so I wouldn't benefit too much from going to flat pedals and the thought of those pins from flat pedals meeting my shins... eina.

Simple answer: Get decent long pinned flat pedals, and a pair of FiveTen riding shoes.

If you're going to be spending money on riding specific flat shoes, don't bother with anything other than FiveTens. If you already have skate shoes, you can use them. But FiveTens really are the best.

I've been eyeing those pedals but the pins scares the hell out of my shins. You say it isn't an issue ifyou use Five Tens? What makes them better than other shoes you've tried. I'm keen to get something like that for a long tour in March but really want something I can push, port and dance with too. That means flexible soles, not stiff boards. Would they do the trick?

I'm not a brave rider and not being able to get my foot out of the pedal is a huge mental issue for me. I have had nasty falls when I screech to a halt after running out of guts, and then cant get a foot down.

My diadoras and time pedals also do not offer the most stable of surfaces when unclipped either, especially when dusty, muddy or wet, which just compounds my nervous problem. So I walk. a LOT. it sucks.

The next person to tell me to HTFU, 'just get on with it' or 'attack it with confidence' while I do not trust my equipment is going to get a shift kick to the shin with the business end of said diadoras ;)

I'm ordering a pair of fivetens and nukeproofs from dial'd and will stick the times back on for flat/road riding

I've been eyeing those pedals but the pins scares the hell out of my shins. You say it isn't an issue ifyou use Five Tens? What makes them better than other shoes you've tried. I'm keen to get something like that for a long tour in March but really want something I can push, port and dance with too. That means flexible soles, not stiff boards. Would they do the trick?

apparently the FiveTens have some newfangled grippy rubber soles that stick like sn*t to a wool blanket.

the freerider type shoes have more flexible soles which give you better feel while the impact low type shoes are stiffer, clunkier and give a more sterile feel

Another option that works really well should you want to try cleats that uncleat easily is to go for Shimano's SM SH 56 Cleats, these are "multi-directional cleats" that uncleat extremely easy, in fact if you set your shimano pedals to fully open you can uncleat easily whilst pulling you leg upwards. The nice part is that you can "tighten" the cleat resistance on your pedal as you become familiar with the cleats.

Got a pair from my lbs, they are difficult to find in SA, but Chain Reaction stocks them as well. I started off with the normal cleats, and after a number of badd spills decided to try the SH 56's on advice from a friend in the UK - I have not looked back after fitting these

the only benefit that clipless pedals have over their flat cousins is that you're connected to the bike, and as such this has previously enabled you to have a more efficient pedalling style than if you were not clipped in.

However, with the advent of newer, better designed pinned flat pedals (like the Nukeproof ...) and better adapted MTB specific flat shoes (5-10's) this advantage has been steadily worn down to the point that there is next to no advantage over the flats.

Where flats come into their own is when you are starting out, and learning how to ride a bike properly. Cleats make us lazy. Why? when jumping, instead of pumping the bike (as should be done) to get air, you can simply pull up on the pedals and the bike will come up with you. This is wrong ito technique. Likewise bunnyhopping - cleats encourage the wrong technique

If you're already more confident with flats, my recommendation would be to go for a good set of flat pedals (nukeproof proton or similar) and keep n using your solomons until you can afford a set of 5-10's. They really do make a huge diff ito comfort and grip.

And to those saying htfu and stay with clip ins - that's not really constructive. May as well tell someone who is used to a manual transmission to htfu and stay with automatic.

Been riding with clipless for about 3 years, thought I would give flats a try.

Bought a pair of nukeproof pedals and 5'10 freeriders and can honestly say that they are as gripppy as the SPD's.

Granted you cannot pull the bike up when trying to bunnyhop it and I almost landed on my face the first time I tried (to bunnyhop that is, bike stayed where it was and I hopped) but you learn quickly to push the bike and not pull it.

If you get a decent pairt of shoes and decent pedals, I dont think you will miss the SPD's too much.

you get so used to cleats that you don't think about it anymore.

TIP: Do a couple night rides to boost your confidence on riding technical sections. In the night you don't see whats coming, and before you know if you are through one hell of a technical section.

Didn't look where you're form, but if in JHB/PTA its worthwhile to join the D&D crowd every now and then.

Eish I thought no one saw me :-)

I've been considering a set of flat pedals for a while on my AM bike.

Not a bad idea at all. Spent the last couple of rides on flats just to brush up on my skills again.

It makes a huge difference in how you approach things.

Ill be back on spd's for tomorrow's ride though.

Granted you cannot pull the bike up when trying to bunnyhop it...

Exactly what you shouldn't be doing.

I think all riders should learn to ride and ride well on flats before even considering clipping in.

apparently the FiveTens have some newfangled grippy rubber soles that stick like sn*t to a wool blanket.

the freerider type shoes have more flexible soles which give you better feel while the impact low type shoes are stiffer, clunkier and give a more sterile feel

Yup! Like Anine said... FiveTens use a patented rubber (Stealth Rubber). It's the same stuff one sees on those funny looking rock climbing booties. Super tacky!. The long pins dig into the rubber. It's not the tread pattern that grips so well as much as it is the rubber compount itself (look at the new FiveTen VXi's. No tread pattern where the pedal goes).

The long pin-stealth rubber combo works so well, that at first it feels weird. You actually have to lify your foot to change position. You can't just shimmy it like you would with refular shoes. I can also angle the pedal at 45deg, maybe even steeper and put my weight on, and the shoe won't slip.

As for the rigidity of the soles. Well, as mentioned before, that varies from model to model. The Freerider based models I feel have the best balance. Comfy enough to wear all day walking. Rigid enough when you rode so your feet don't get cramps.

Been riding with clipless for about 3 years, thought I would give flats a try.

Bought a pair of nukeproof pedals and 5'10 freeriders and can honestly say that they are as gripppy as the SPD's.

Granted you cannot pull the bike up when trying to bunnyhop it and I almost landed on my face the first time I tried (to bunnyhop that is, bike stayed where it was and I hopped) but you learn quickly to push the bike and not pull it.

If you get a decent pairt of shoes and decent pedals, I dont think you will miss the SPD's too much.

yeah, as far as any movement in the horizontal plane goes, there is no movement. Just as good as SPDs in that regard. Just no pulling up benefits.