Tribute to Burry

mrbaker

Rode in Burry's back yard (training ground) this morning out the back of Ramsgate in the rural area. We used to see him out on the R61 training over the Christmas Holidays as well. Quite a highlight of our training sessions to see him out there. Will be missed.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been feeling quite the opposite, I really used to be a very passionate DH rider and then XC and a little road but stopped riding 3 years ago as work took over my weekends(wedding photography) and since hearing the news on thursday evening all I have wanted to do the whole time is ride. Its as though I feel life can be so short, that you got to make the most of your time and if riding is what one must do then so be it. If there is anything positive about the incident( which only amounts to .0001%) its that this legend has proved that we can unite and share our passion for the sport, even if we havnt ridden for a while. All I have done today was look at the events calender to plan my year around riding, and I must say, Burry is the reason for this! I must say, seen Burry around when we were youngsters at DH events, but I have been so sad as though he has been a close friend! What a legend!

Thursday night i had a IDT ride planned but after hearing the news via sms and then reading it on the hub i felt kind of empty and could not do anything

Last night and tonight however i did 50 ea minutes on the IDT and started thinking how I would like to have a picture of Burry in the training room, think it would really motivate me to get off my lazy butt and train again...

I think Burry would want us all to train and raise our games in his memory

Not sure if I could ride on the roads in SA tho...

Edited by SwissVan

I'll admit it, I cried like a baby. Once I was alone I couldn't help myself and the waterworks flowed. I've been feeling so numb and today when I got on the bike for the 1st time since his passing it all just became real, it sank in and I realized just how big this gap in my heart is. The man had a bigger impact than I realized and this has made me question everything in my life, considering how easily one can loose it. Hearing the news about a cyclist being hit in my home town today was just too much too. So if you see a boertjie tomorrow in Stellenbosch, chunking like a little girl, don't judge, and rather bring me a tissue okblush.png

Currently down on the S. Coast - bike is at home. I usually spend so much of my time down here training or thinking about training that I wanted to put my family first.

Often used to see Burry about - used to add a sparkle to the holiday, and I am going to miss that for sure.

But come April I will be pounding these roads again pre Sani, esp the route that Burry was on as that is my main route.

I doubt very much he'd want is to give up road cycling - I'm sure he'd tell is to get out there but be careful...

I won't be doing the memorial ride as I don't have a bike, but will get down to the finish to pay my respects.

My Daughter (15) and I spent 4 hours on the road yesterday and 2 hours in the bush today. Yes this is tough and we all are affected in some way or another and we all deal with it in our own ways. We chose to get out on the tar and do it safely like always. We ALWAYS use lights front and back day or night and that is the only way we ride.

I spent 10 - 15 hours a week with my daughter riding everywhere and we have decided some time ago that the change starts with the person in the mirror. We thus single file all the time no exceptions, ride with front and back lights no exceptions, Stop at the stop streets and wait for the green no exceptions.

I always ride behind no matter the amount of wind and then I always show the motorists the way by pointing to my right and giving them a thumbs up before they get to us. Once they pass we thank them regardless of what they did and we also greet everyone from the front.

I will be honest when I say this and my daughter is my witness that 99% of motorists pass us with some space to spare and a lot of them will give us a wave or hazards or even a hoot with a wave.

It has been like this for us for some time now and this is what we experience. I also follow a single rule and it is that if I wont let my daughter ride a particular stretch of road I will not ride that road either even if I am alone.

We have done close to 1500km over December and we had only a handfull of incidents that was not intentional I believe.

Like I said it starts with that person staring back at you and at least in our case it has been working well so far.

Just our 2cents

In short, be seen, show them the way then thank them

Haven't yet, but going for the magnolia ride tomorrow morning at 8. Will be wearing a black armband.

I will be leaving the house on the road bike with a heavy heart on my way to Magnolia tomorrow morning.

Will be joining the guys there, then off to see family on bike and then heading home. Don't think a training ride is in order for tomorrow.

Dre, see you hopefully tomorrow.

Hopelik gaan daar baie mense wees...

Hearth wrenching video.

Still struggling to watch it through, and cannot get my head around this tragedy