davem

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frail4Life

I have one on my Bike.

But i really don't see local tjops changing from there stupid ways.

You buy a fast car so you can speed, or drive in luxury?

My motorbike is plastered with them. Car is new... am precious about stuff on my car. But, like the idea of on the bike rack. Need to get some more stickers.

I have one on my Bike.

But i really don't see local tjops changing from there stupid ways.

You buy a fast car so you can speed, or drive in luxury?

Frail, it takes time! You can't expect changes to be seen in a month. And it's an ongoing process. You can't expect to gooi a few stickers and WHAM.

I want to make a sharpened metal aerial that I can mount on my bike that protrudes 1.5m into the traffic horizontally... so if you don't pass with the desired space your car's paintwork will describe to you just what a knob you've been.

I want to make a sharpened metal aerial that I can mount on my bike that protrudes 1.5m into the traffic horizontally... so if you don't pass with the desired space your car's paintwork will describe to you just what a knob you've been.

There is actually a commuter cyclist in our area that has a "contraption" on his bike that sticks out 1.5. with a lumo flag on the end of it.

It looks pretty naff!! But very effective...

I think this dude is a German/ or Dutch...judging by his bike accessories..

There is actually a commuter cyclist in our area that has a "contraption" on his bike that sticks out 1.5. with a lumo flag on the end of it.

It looks pretty naff!! But very effective...

I think this dude is a German/ or Dutch...judging by his bike accessories..

huh? nog nooit gesien nie. op die R44?

My personal opinion but a load of cars with the 1.5 metre sticker on them don't pass me properly.

Loads of cars with bicycles on the back also don't give me any respect.

Possibly we should stick the sticker on our dashboard so as to remind ourselves to pass cyclists properly?

Agreed, but read what you just said! "I've seen too many people with these stickers on their cars driving like tjops". You've seen the stickers. And you went ballistic. BUT, now you think about the 1.5m and, if human nature persists you might just apply it!

I've been applying it regardless of seeing stickers. I'd rather set a good example than put a sticker on my car asking others to do so. The issue here is not putting a sticker on your car or not, but rather to set an example and abide by the road rules.

I just came back from a European holiday where I had to drive on the roads there. No one needs to put stickers on theirs cars to apply common sense. They keep right and pass left (as they drive on the right hand side of the road), they stick to speed limits where they are in place and where they are not in place, people drive responsibly. You can buy a half jack of Jaggermeister at just about any roadside petrolstation, yet people don't drive drunk.

They all yield to public transport and bicycles. Not because they have stickers on their cars (or others do), but because they respect each other enough to abide by the law.

A small yellow sticker does nothing for awareness. Even big billboards with the sticker on them will not change people's attitudes and people with the stickers on their cars breaking the law does much more harm than good as South Africans have the attitude of "Oh, so you want me to respect a cyclist while you drive 120 in a 60 zone... screw you buddy!"

In my mind the sticker campaign is misplaced and ineffective and more focus should be placed on law enforcement and hitting motorists (and cyclists) breaking the law by confiscating vehicles (and bikes). Our legal system allows for any asset used to commit a crime to be confiscated and sold by the state. As South Africans have very little respect for others lives there are very few alternatives to explore. This way you will be hitting drivers (more so professional drivers, namely truck, taxi and bus drivers) where it hurts. Take his Bus / Taxi / Truck away (even for a week or 2) and they'll quickly come around.

My thoughts are that its useless. sames as the think bike stickers. Actually when I see a think bike sticker on a car I think the driver is a chop, as generally they are.

Sorry, but stickers and shirts are not going to educate the public on the 1.5m rule, there needs to be more done.

Yes I do, got it free at the Ofm expo last year. But only put it on my car after Stander's death.

Yes thumbup1.gif and if only 1 person takes note and starts to practice the rule, it will have made a difference.

I also use it as my Twitter, FB and BBM profile pic to educate my non-cycling family and friends