I took out a tonsil on a bike today

DIPSLICK

not to drive all the time, but you're allowed to pull over to let others pass, on single carriage (single lane) roads, where it is safe to do so and does not impede other road users.

Think of the N1 / N2 rural areas where it is bi-directional but single lane. Slower cars are allowed to pull over into the yellow lane to let others pass. It's not a requirement, but it is allowed.

never heard of that, I do not think you are right, emergency lanes are supposed to be kept free and open for emergency vehicles. Hence the SOLID yellow line (solid meaning not allowed to cross) same as a solid white line... unless it has changed since I wrote my learners license, you must have answered B instead of C on that question

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan sal dit KP wees… huh.png

jaja I know, just did'nt want to spell it out and get banned from the hub for life

Hey Weasel_JHB, ignore these cock-tonsils on here, they are an angry bitter and twisted bunch.

On the plus side, we have quite a few doggie threads you might enjoy, but do bear in mind, animal abuse is off limits.

never heard of that, I do not think you are right, emergency lanes are supposed to be kept free and open for emergency vehicles. Hence the SOLID yellow line (solid meaning not allowed to cross) same as a solid white line... unless it has changed since I wrote my learners license, you must have answered B instead of C on that question

The RTA is available at www.acts.co.za As with all legislation you need to read the whole thing as ignorance is no excuse. During daylight hours and provided the road is clear and you are not on a blind rise or corner you may legally move into the emergency lane in order to allow another vehicle to pass.

Hey Weasel_JHB, ignore these cock-tonsils on here, they are an angry bitter and twisted bunch.

On the plus side, we have quite a few doggie threads you might enjoy, but do bear in mind, animal abuse is off limits.

dangle GRRUUMMMPPYYY

Taken off the Arrive Alive website - not sure of the actual section / subsection, but here it is...

Prohibition on driving on shoulder of public road, except in certain circumstances

1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

2) The driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction-

(a) while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and

(B)if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;

© if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

Edited by cptmayhem

The RTA is available at www.acts.co.za As with all legislation you need to read the whole thing as ignorance is no excuse. During daylight hours and provided the road is clear and you are not on a blind rise or corner you may legally move into the emergency lane in order to allow another vehicle to pass.

thanks for the ignorant remark!?!(always know where to come for a picker upper in the day) I will be sure to apply this new found law, I seriously did not know it was legal.

Taken off the Arrive Alive website - not sure of the actual section / subsection, but here it is...

Prohibition on driving on shoulder of public road, except in certain circumstances

1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

2) The driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction-

(a) while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and

(B)if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;

© if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

Well now that that is settled...

ROFL. It's one of those laws that hardly anybody knows about. It legitimises cycling in the shoulder by virtue of the fact that you are always being passed by other motor vehicles. And yes, a pedal cycle is considered a motor veehicle in this case.

Fabes watch your comments

These guys from the South of JHB dont take poef

True, I have seen it with my own eyes, they wear Tapout shirts whistling.gif

yes, settled but blown away, I can't believe I have been driving for so many years and did not know this, perhaps I should take a look at the RTA, & check if flashing your lights at a slower vehicle in front of you is ok and exceeding the speed limit if there are no other cars around and it is safe to do so is OK....you never knowph34r.png Edited by Wipeout2

Mmm this is a predicament whistling.gif, Atlas road has 2 lanes in each direction, plus the yellow line

• Subject to sub regulation (2) and regulation 298 (1) (e), no person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.
  • Notwithstanding sub regulation (1), the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction
    • while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and
    • if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;
    • if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

To summarise it is legal to move onto the shoulder of the road (within the yellow lines) depending on circumstances’ … during day, safe to do so, good visibility and if it is on a single lane road.

ROFL. It's one of those laws that hardly anybody knows about. It legitimises cycling in the shoulder by virtue of the fact that you are always being passed by other motor vehicles. And yes, a pedal cycle is considered a motor veehicle in this case.

a breakthrough