Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enduro is actually just the race format.

I believe Trail and All-Mountain have plenty of numbers.

I agree there are numbers out there - its not about enduro or any other label though its about truly having fun on your bike and learning the skills to do so. I too was a victim of the "stage race is what MTB is" disease and didn't progress as I should have. My skills have grown more in the last two years than they did in the previous ten - and I have been riding MTB for 20 years.

Getting fitter and riding stage races keeps you stuck in a holding pattern that most people never get out of. Improving skills takes time but also commitment and some risk. Arguably less risk than riding along a busy road on a road bike though. Skills clinics would do a lot to help here - a tech and gravity inclined skills course should be mandatory with every bike purchase....

If you are fit marathons can be a blast. I ride Attakwas whenever I can on my trail bike, and I keep going back, because it is such a blast.

I will rather ride boring gravel road than sit on the couch and watch TV.

Technical trails that point downward are still my favourite though.

We have enough hills here with Giba and some places in Karkloof have some stiff climbs,don't have time to get to the fitness I need to be at. To me riding between 70-100km a day for a couple of days is not my idea of fun.

Skills clinics would do a lot to help here - a tech and gravity inclined skills course should be mandatory with every bike purchase....

Again, for Gautengers - Hakahana!! Watch this space...

Nice post by the way.

Just to add my 2c to the fire...

Earlier this year at one of the KZN provincial MTB races there were more participants for the enduro than there were for the XCO :clap:

Due to the format of XCO I totally get that...it doesnt really allow for mass participation. Marathon and Enduro does. But as pointed out, the timing logistics makes it much less profitable to put on a Enduro event.

I think a slowly slowly catching the monkey approach will work better. Get guys hooked on Enduro by putting up hybrid / mixed bag events.

It won't costs the race organizers as much to do an event like this and I think the masses will be more inclined to participate knowing that one of the days are still dedicated to marathon.

Guest Omega Man

Someone obviously also hacked Omega Mans hub account or I'm starting to see things. I recall stories of a road bike too.  :ph34r:  ;) :eek:

Haha. No hacking. Just made a few life enhancing changes recently.

I might purchase a set of slicks for the Tracer tho cos hearing my Muddy Mary's getting chowed on the tarmac doesn't sit well with me. Who knows there might even be a fixi in my future.

I might purchase a set of slicks for the Tracer tho cos hearing my Muddy Mary's getting chowed on the tarmac doesn't sit well with me. Who knows there might even be a fixi in my future.

Only thing that's even remotely acceptable is a set of 2.5 Hookworms

http://cdn.maxxiscentral.com/tyreimages/tyre-image-Hookworm_l.png

Revolution have big fat slicks

Fixi ... I have a friend who commutes with one (front brake included) and I am not 100% convinced ... rather a roadie bike set up as a SS with front and rear brake and you can then free wheel too, or a 29'er running SS and on skinny slicks ... .with the 29'er at least you have disc brakes in the wet.

We are somehow digressing on the #ENDURO theme here slightly

Guest Omega Man

Revolution have big fat slicks

Fixi ... I have a friend who commutes with one (front brake included) and I am not 100% convinced ... rather a roadie bike set up as a SS with front and rear brake and you can then free wheel too, or a 29'er running SS and on skinny slicks ... .with the 29'er at least you have disc brakes in the wet.

We are somehow digressing on the #ENDURO theme here slightly

Ja. Back on track please.

Is my HT enduro enough with only 140mm Travel?

anything is enough if you know how to use it (just realised how dirty that is, nvm)

ive been smoked at enduro races by people on hardtails and ive seen people (honestly, just the one person) on dh bikes make xc riders look silly riding UP tokai

Is my HT enduro enough with only 140mm Travel?

1. It's in the wrong thread, but I will wait till Fri to take it up with you.

2. Can't say just yet. Will have to take it for a (extended) spin to be able to give you a honest answer. Next weekend will be good for me. 8-ish...