Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of building up a Dartmoor Hornet hardtail, with 160mm up front to replace my current Roscoe which has served me well, but I find myself bottoming out the suspension more and more as I get better and faster and jumping further.

Am I kidding myself to think that at almost 40, my body can still handle the punishment of a hardtail? Or should I rather just finally take the plunge and move to 160mm full squish? Considering that I have never owned a full sus before, and do I want to do at minimum 4 enduro's type events next year?

I'm thinking of building up a Dartmoor Hornet hardtail, with 160mm up front to replace my current Roscoe which has served me well, but I find myself bottoming out the suspension more and more as I get better and faster and jumping further.

Am I kidding myself to think that at almost 40, my body can still handle the punishment of a hardtail? Or should I rather just finally take the plunge and move to 160mm full squish? Considering that I have never owned a full sus before, and do I want to do at minimum 4 enduro's type events next year?

• I am turning 41 in December, so our age is about the same.
  • Bought a Hornet frame about a year ago as my duallie frame died, the idea was that it would be an interim measure as I could carry over all my parts onto the Hornet...inc. the 160mm fork.
  • I was concerned that the hornet would be an overly stiff and harsh ride given how overly built the frame is (The main triangle is off their DH bikes), but was really impressed by the ride quality.
  • The bloody frame handles really well on the descents and also managed uber steep climbs easily.
  • Had to recently sell her to buy my new bike, but she will be missed.

post-5403-0-97933100-1571297355_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-32147400-1571297365_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-25769100-1571297376_thumb.jpg

• I am turning 41 in December, so our age is about the same.
  • Bought a Hornet frame about a year ago as my duallie frame died, the idea was that it would be an interim measure as I could carry over all my parts onto the Hornet...inc. the 160mm fork.
  • I was concerned that the hornet would be an overly stiff and harsh ride given how overly built the frame is (The main triangle is off their DH bikes), but was really impressed by the ride quality.
  • The bloody frame handles really well on the descents and also managed uber steep climbs easily.
  • Had to recently sell her to buy my new bike, but she will be missed.

Beautiful bike! Sorry you had to let it go.

I have decided to take the plunge and say screw it. I want an aggressive HT, so I am getting one. Busy finalizing the parts list, and luckily I can move most of my parts over, (sans the ridiculous Trek's 141 rear hub) and hoping to have it done before the next DRI.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, Just a headsup, My Bike was stolen on from our house in Worcester on Thursday night. 

Broke in,  alarm activated, but got away. Please keep your eyes open on classifieds, Gumtree, Taxi rank etc..

Easiest thing to Identify is the White Pike DPA RTC3. Those are hens teeth around here. 

post-1279-0-91694800-1575274302_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bos

Hi guys, Just a headsup, My Bike was stolen on from our house in Worcester on Thursday night. 

Broke in,  alarm activated, but got away. Please keep your eyes open on classifieds, Gumtree, Taxi rank etc..

Easiest thing to Identify is the White Pike DPA RTC3. Those are hens teeth around here. 

Wow sorry to hear. What frame is that?