Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

woa.. that's mighty interesting, incl the bit where it seems Sik Mik is about to switch to EWS racing.! thanks for sharing

I am MIGHTILY intrigued!!!! Love the attitude and approach to the design philosophy. And tbh it doesn't look that ridiculous.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a different looking system which is cool, but I find the whole bike fugly. Maybe it'll grow on me...

Regarding the hush-hush vibe about how it actually works, i think there really isn't much to say so he'd rather keep it mysterious. To me it's clear that chain tension will try to push that cylinder back in thereby propping the suspension high in it's travel. Just look at the rear derailleur showing the amount of chain growth as the suspension compresses. That will make the suspension firmer to pedal but it will also make pedal feedback while going downhill pretty noticeable - some say that's a disadvantage.

Essentially: a suspension system that offers a platform due to pedaling implies chain growth, which brings with it pedal feedback. Finding the balance between the two will always be a compromise. In my opinion.

In answer to your statement (which definitely makes sense and generally I agree with)

Taken from the PB article

And, the Sliding Element?

OK, here's the nerdy part: Voss admits that the basic concept is not new, and sources two bike designs that used sliding elements to help isolate the suspension from pedaling-induced chain tension: Paul Turner's Maverick and the evolution of Yeti's sliding carriage and present sliding column suspension. His version, however, takes the concept further. The heart and soul of his R3act suspension is a large stanchion tube that pivots near the bottom bracket that the monostay swingarm slides on. The stanchion tube is angled precisely to direct chain tension to counter suspension bobbing, and also to provide an "anti-squat" vector that, unlike the present dual-link suspension designs, remains very consistent through the bike's gear range and suspension travel.

Voss' ace in the hole is that the sliding member apparently balances opposing pedaling and suspension forces so well that a small impact can activate the system. That, and the fact that shock damping is reduced to the absolute minimum, allows the R3act system to track rough or uneven the ground with uncanny accuracy.

What that mumbo means to normal people is, you can pedal the bike in or out of the saddle and as hard or as softly as you want, and it will keep the tire hooked up without having to care about or compensate for what the rear suspension is doing. And, it accomplishes that without the need to engage platform levers, use electronics, or employ damping filters.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Curtis Prototype

How is that a prototype? Orange have been making single pivots since the 90's and Steel isn't exactly a cutting edge material.

How is that a prototype? Orange have been making single pivots since the 90's and Steel isn't exactly a cutting edge material.

Yeah but Curtis isn't orange... And it's curtis's proto

Yeah but Curtis isn't orange... And it's curtis's proto

M. Next thing they'll be trying to sell us those silly face masks that bmx racers ran in the 80's.

Oh wait!

M. Next thing they'll be trying to sell us those silly face masks that bmx racers ran in the 80's.

Oh wait!

You mean the altitude training / charcoal filter masks you get for commuting in London and China and NYC etc?

Ja, it's their first foray into full suspension. Not prototype technology, but prototype model for the company. Also throw in bespoke, as in made to measure and handmade and you'll be paying three times more for it than your Orange single pivot.

It is pretty though, and the fact that some guy stood labouring in a shed with a leather apron and brazing torch makes it special, and not your run of the mill factory mass produced bike that the masses ride.

I ride the latter btw, but if I had the cash I would have a bike made for me. 

No rear triangle, so probably not UCI legal for TT hey...

I heard that rule was changed last year.