Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

Patches, I don't think I could say it better.

As for the 650b thing...

Quite honestly, the only reason why I strayed from my 26er Reign was because of a bent frame and an insurance payout.

The 29er Trance was a mistake, which I quickly rectified by going back to a smaller wheel size.

In the meantime though, Giant had switched to the 27.5 platform, so there wasn't really much choice.

Is 650b the new best thing? I dunno really, but I can tell you that I like to ride my bike. :)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that the 2005 Reign was stock with a low volume can. I always felt I was missing out not having it in HV but the pedalling was just too good to make a swap, so much so that when I replaced the shock after the Manitou finally gave up 6 years later, I went straight to the LV Fox boost valve.

Then I broke the 05 frame and bent the 2012 replacement 3 months later. Ah the old reign loved flying..

ROFL. Patches, that's exactly what I meant. The DHX Air was notorious for having ZERO mid-stroke compression abilities with that big ass can on there.

If you'd but a CCDB on there, it'd be a different story entirely, I recon.

Do you have the DHX with the option of the turn out dial at the bottom of the reserve can to allow for a more progressive or linear feel ... that dial on the can makes a huge difference ... well on the MOTO it does.

I find it interesting that the 2005 Reign was stock with a low volume can. I always felt I was missing out not having it in HV but the pedalling was just too good to make a swap, so much so that when I replaced the shock after the Manitou finally gave up 6 years later, I went straight to the LV Fox boost valve.

Then I broke the 05 frame and bent the 2012 replacement 3 months later. Ah the old reign loved flying..

Pain or Shine, are you running an RP23 HV on your Sukuma? Any issues with it blowing through the travel?

Do you have the DHX with the option of the turn out dial at the bottom of the reserve can to allow for a more progressive or linear feel ... that dial on the can makes a huge difference ... well on the MOTO it does.

like this

http://cycletherapy.us/images/library/Zoom/fox_dhxair_11_z.jpg

Pain or Shine, are you running an RP23 HV on your Sukuma? Any issues with it blowing through the travel?

Yup and sort of. It blows through but not a problem, not that I've noticed. The shock needs to be worked on though, something about a dead spot on the top of it's stroke.

Edited by Pain or shine

Bottom out resistance. Only on the DHX5

Yup and sort of. It blows through but not a problem, not that I've noticed. The shock needs to be worked on replaced with a Monarch or Monarch Plus and be done with it though, something about a dead spot on the top of it's stroke.

Fixed

Yeah, I have the bottom out dial. And it's at the max pressure, turned in to the max bottom out resistance setting. There was just something about the pairing with the DHX Air and the Giant's MAESTRO suspension that meant it blew straight through everything. I don't even want to know what it'll be like without that bottom out resistor turned in all teh way. Would probably be better paired with a normal RP23 or the new Float X. It's a commonly reported fault with that shock, unfortunately

Had one on my HD. Apart from blowing through it's travel and suffering terribly with performance and keeping up when the running turned south, it had a knock in the first 15mm of it's rebound stroke. Fox said "well that's just how it is" and the only fix was to re-valve and then have a boost valve shock without the boost.

Replaced it with a Monarch Plus and had the time of my life. Partied like it was nineteen ninety nine.

Edited by Iwan Kemp

When I have more money, that is first on the list for replacement. The shock.

Speak to Headshot .... he got some reducer spacers for his RP23 from Fox and they could well be compatible with your Foxy DHX.....recons it made the world of a difference to his ride.